Tour Edge EXS Driver (senior setup)

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Background - I had been playing the Callaway Rogue Draw with a senior shaft (UST Recoil) and experiencing some less than consistent drives. I was happy with the distance, but on mishits, I would not only lose distance but miss fairways. I figured I just needed to work on my swing... so I did. The dispersion and mishits continued to the point that I wanted to consider another driver. BTW, I was fit for the Rogue Draw at Golftec.

I did some research (forums and online review) and saw that a number of golfers had very positive comments about the Tour Edge EXS. The price was also substantially less than the top 5 OEM's and since I was still thinking that it was my swing that was causing the problems with my Rogue, I figured for $ 299 I could have a backup driver and see if things improved.

The one thing that always concerned me was with the Rogue Draw some of my best drives were actually fades. I wondered why (how) could I be fading the drive with a driver that was supposed to be setup for a draw.

I purchased a Tour Edge EXS with basically the same setup as the Rogue as shown below:

10.5° / MCA Tensei CK Blue 2G 50 / A-FlexCustom Length (Optional): -1 1/2" Shorter[FONT=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Segoe UI, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, Apple Color Emoji, Segoe UI Emoji, Segoe UI Symbol, sans-serif]Custom Grip Size (Optional): Standard Size[/FONT]

I received the EXS driver about a month and a half ago and have been using it ever since. The first thing I noticed is that it was by far the easiest driver to hit that I have ever tried. In fact, the first time I put it in the bag, I was hitting more fairways than I have ever hit before. I thought that it had to be some improvements I had made in my swing because it just couldn't happen that fast.

Over the next month and a half, I used the EXE exclusively and the consistency of solid, fairway finding drives continued. I reached a point where I felt that my swing must have improved and perhaps going back to the Rogue would result in even better performance. It seems that my drives were not quite as long with the EXS as they had been with the Rogue so I wanted to give the Rogue another chance to get back in the bag.

Yesterday, I played 9 holes with the Rogue. The first time I swung it, it just felt like something was off. I struggled to find the center of the club face and my drives did not seem any longer. With the EXS I had hit every fairway except one (missing by a yard) the day before, yesterday I hit 3 fairways (out of 6 par 4's and 5's) but felt like I was lucky to hit them. None of them landed where I was aiming and once again, I struggled to control my swing.

It was a night and day difference. With the EXS, I'm not only hitting fairways, but I'm picking the location on the fairway where I want the ball to land and getting in the general area. No fades, just a nice straight (for the most par) drive. Looking at the club face on the EXS after 9 holes, and all I see is ball marks in the center.

I'm sure it's probably just that I found a club that matches my abilities and swing plane, because I know the Rogue is a good club. I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else is considering the EXE. It's definitely a sleeper driver that I'm sure gets looked over because it's not from the big OEMs.

I should add that I determined that the reason I started thinking that my distance was shorter than the Rogue had to do with a ball change. I had switched to another ball and really like the feel of it and the performance I was getting, but as it turned out, I was getting about 10 yards less with the driver and about a 1/2 to a full club less with the irons. I switched back to my previous ball - Tour B RX - and the distance was still there with both the EXS and the Rogue.

Back