Super Stroke
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Tip or Trick stopping reverse pivot. (Weight shift)

  1. #1
    Beginner iamachine1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26
    Member
    52260
    Handicap
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Tip or Trick stopping reverse pivot. (Weight shift)

    Hello all
    Wondering if anyone has some tips or tricks that they do to help eliminate the reverse pivot. I know this is probably the biggest killer to my ball striking and why I just can't make the next leap in my game. I am a much better wood player and short game player than a ball striker. I know I just get away with some of these issues with the woods for no reason that I can tell. I can pretty much hit a 3/5wood falling back dam near. Irons this really shows up with inconsistentcy. Fat, thin, falling back some even on a good strike. I really feel the culprit is the target pointed spine angle when I am making my turn. Looking for any tricks or swing thought. Feeling. Exaggerated position of some part of the body. Love to hear what works for some of you guys out there. As you know sometimes no matter how many videos you watch, you just can't quite get something and it's that one feeling or trick you can groove that really makes a difference. Anyway.
    Thanks!
    (Shoot in the mid to low 80s on our three regular courses we play. Break 80 a few times here and there. Looking to make a leap.)

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Major Champion DG_1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,883
    Member
    38620
    Handicap
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    745
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    For the entire swing an athletic address posture promotes a proper turn/pivot/weight shift.
    Stand straight and tall, stick your rear pants pockets outward, relax your knees a bit, that's it.
    Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
    Fairway metals TaylorMade 2005 R7 TP 15* Graphite Design MJ 7S
    Hybrid: 2008 T2 18* Burner Rescue Aldila NV Hybrid 85
    Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
    Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to DG_1234 For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-13-2019)

  4. #3
    Man Down
    Molten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    6,994
    Member
    22040
    Handicap
    11.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,596
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7,137
    Thanked in
    3,122 Posts
    There are some really good videos and instagrams on this topics if you do a bit of digging but what helped me was a full length mirror and taking a backswing. I was surprised how much movement I had in any given direction and what felt right wasnít what was happening in real life. Once I started to fix the backswing, the rest slowly got better because I wasnít way out of position to start.

    Without a video itís hard to say exactly whatís going on (it could be a few things) but seeing what is going on is worth its weight in gold. Feel is not real.
    Whole new bag of clubs incoming. Hello and

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molten For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-13-2019)

  6. #4
    Beginner iamachine1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26
    Member
    52260
    Handicap
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DG_1234 View Post
    For the entire swing an athletic address posture promotes a proper turn/pivot/weight shift.
    Stand straight and tall, stick your rear pants pockets outward, relax your knees a bit, that's it.
    Thanks. Yeah I am 6' 2" and 265. I also have lower back issues. I do think I struggle with posture. This might be why I seem to have more success early in the round with Irons and get lazy and just trying to hang on the second half. I was practicing in my living room last night. I tried to focus on the left pants pocket a little bit more and let everything work off of that. It seemed like the thought of keeping that left hip in check produced some good feelings over all. I'll have to try it on the range.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Club Pro RayG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Astoria, NY
    Posts
    411
    Member
    15620
    Handicap
    12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    223
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Think about there being an egg under your right foot. Tell yourself: donít break the egg.

    I will practice with my weight already on my left side before the swing. Reminds me that that is where I want to be at finish.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to RayG For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-14-2019)

  9. #6
    Clubmaker/Fitter ProZoneGolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Posts
    1,225
    Member
    22254
    Handicap
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    77
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    353
    Thanked in
    276 Posts
    Turn around your spine don't tilt
    ST-190 Driver / Graphite Design Tour AD I-Z 8x
    CB Pro F2 15.5 / Fujikura Fuel 70x TS
    CB Pro f2 18 / Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution x
    Ezone MB 3,4i Matrix Altus, 5-7i XP100x, 8-PW X100
    Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG wedge
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75
    Tour B xs



  10. The Following User Says Thank You to ProZoneGolf For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-14-2019)

  11. #7
    Amateur oumagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    237
    Member
    52535
    Handicap
    UNOFFIC9.4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    337
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    241
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

    Tip or Trick stopping reverse pivot. (Weight shift)

    One practice drill that my guy gave me:

    Start at address with my right heel off the ground. Slam that down to initiate back swing and raise your left heel. Then slam your left heel down to initiate downswing and raise your right heel back up to full finish. It helps me get the feeling of weight shift back and through. At first, he just had me doing the heels/weight shift without swinging a club.

    My problem always seems always to be swaying to the back and my weight stays back and it really jacks up my spine angle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oumagic; 06-14-2019 at 09:57 PM.
    4.5, 14way
    ARCCOS sensors on all clubs
    CP2 midsize grips
    XR16 driver set to 10.5 deg with R flex Bassara 42 shaft
    GBB fairway woods (2015) with Kuro Kage Black 50 (3W/5W/Heavenwood) set to 15/18/21 degrees
    2019 Big Bertha 5-AW irons steel shaft (regular)
    CBX 54 deg and 58 deg wedges
    33" Red Ball putter
    Chromesoft X Triple Track

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to oumagic For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-14-2019)

  13. #8
    Beginner iamachine1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26
    Member
    52260
    Handicap
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oumagic View Post
    One practice drill that my guy gave me:

    Start at address with my right heel off the ground. Slam that down to initiate back swing and raise your left heel. Then slam your left heel down to initiate downswing and raise your right heel back up to full finish. It helps me get the feeling of weight shift back and through. At first, he just had me doing the heels/weight shift without swinging a club.

    My problem always seems always to be swaying to the back and my weight stays back and it really jacks up my spine angle.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always had a smoother swing when I was younger and was playing more sports. My feet were much more active. Good bad or indifferent. I was all in all a better (pure) ball striker.. course at the time I didn't care as much about golf in general. I do now of course that it is the only sport I have left. I am not a spring chicken anymore and am and have always been self taught when it comes to golf. When practicing in my living room taking air swings. I noticed that the more free flowing I get everywhere else in my body. My left heal would actually raise (in the backswing) like it did when I was younger. I think I am just so dam tight sometimes, that I get the forward spine tilt and by default rock back on my left foot on the downswing.
    Thanks for the post! I was practicing an exaggeration of toes open. Both feet. And just taking a relaxed backswing only really focusing on my left hip and left knee bend. And low and behold. The left heal came off the ground. Not every time. But I took notice and it reminded me of days of old. I'm not saying it has to for me to have a better swing. Its just a nice reminder of things that are cause and effect. I am a much better golfer all around then I was when I was younger. That said you can learn some things from your younger self if you can just get a glimpse or feel.
    Thanks again. I will try this or some variation of it for sure..

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  14. #9
    Beginner iamachine1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26
    Member
    52260
    Handicap
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamachine1976 View Post
    I always had a smoother swing when I was younger and was playing more sports. My feet were much more active. Good bad or indifferent. I was all in all a better (pure) ball striker.. course at the time I didn't care as much about golf in general. I do now of course that it is the only sport I have left. I am not a spring chicken anymore and am and have always been self taught when it comes to golf. When practicing in my living room taking air swings. I noticed that the more free flowing I get everywhere else in my body. My left heal would actually raise (in the backswing) like it did when I was younger. I think I am just so dam tight sometimes, that I get the forward spine tilt and by default rock back on my left foot on the downswing.
    Thanks for the post! I was practicing an exaggeration of toes open. Both feet. And just taking a relaxed backswing only really focusing on my left hip and left knee bend. And low and behold. The left heal came off the ground. Not every time. But I took notice and it reminded me of days of old. I'm not saying it has to for me to have a better swing. Its just a nice reminder of things that are cause and effect. I am a much better golfer all around then I was when I was younger. That said you can learn some things from your younger self if you can just get a glimpse or feel.
    Thanks again. I will try this or some variation of it for sure..

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Rock back on my right foot that is

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  15. #10
    Amateur oumagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    237
    Member
    52535
    Handicap
    UNOFFIC9.4
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    337
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    241
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    As I have gotten older and bigger, my flexibility has vastly decreased and I get to swaying and lifting my upper body. It is the number one issue in my golf game today and I am constantly working on it. I spend time in my backyard barefoot doing these drills; I can feel my weight shifting barefoot. Good luck and maybe it will help.

    By the way, I donít try to lift my heels like this when playing, but the drill helps me get the feelings I need to make a better swing. If I start feeling like I have sway in my hips, I take a few swings with my feet together to feel like I am centered and balanced and then a few swings with the heel drill and it can help me feel a better swing. The key to me, is slamming that left heel down to initiate the downswing. It really helps my sequencing and get my big body moving forward.

    I am not a golf teacher, but I go see one on occasion. That would probably be the best route; go see a pro and they can give you tips and drills specific to you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4.5, 14way
    ARCCOS sensors on all clubs
    CP2 midsize grips
    XR16 driver set to 10.5 deg with R flex Bassara 42 shaft
    GBB fairway woods (2015) with Kuro Kage Black 50 (3W/5W/Heavenwood) set to 15/18/21 degrees
    2019 Big Bertha 5-AW irons steel shaft (regular)
    CBX 54 deg and 58 deg wedges
    33" Red Ball putter
    Chromesoft X Triple Track

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to oumagic For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-15-2019)

  17. #11
    Major Champion DG_1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,883
    Member
    38620
    Handicap
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    745
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamachine1976 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah I am 6' 2" and 265. I also have lower back issues. I do think I struggle with posture. This might be why I seem to have more success early in the round with Irons and get lazy and just trying to hang on the second half. I was practicing in my living room last night. I tried to focus on the left pants pocket a little bit more and let everything work off of that. It seemed like the thought of keeping that left hip in check produced some good feelings over all. I'll have to try it on the range.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I am not a proponent of "in swing" thoughts. My belief is that if a player adopts a fundamentally sound address posture then his/her body will naturally make an effective pivot , without having to think about it during the swing.
    Another key to making a proper pivot-turn-weight shift is using relatively light grip pressure at address. Most amateur players grip the club with way, way too firmly, and this causes several problems throughout the swing, not the least of which is wrongly using hands-wrists-arms to create a back swing. In contrast, when a player uses light grip pressure he/she naturally allows the body pivot-turn to power the back swing.
    Finally, the primary tenet of Jack Nicklaus' swing philosophy has always been "steady head". From his junior golf days onward Nicklaus steadied his head at address and tried to make his turn back and through rotating around a steady head.
    Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
    Fairway metals TaylorMade 2005 R7 TP 15* Graphite Design MJ 7S
    Hybrid: 2008 T2 18* Burner Rescue Aldila NV Hybrid 85
    Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
    Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to DG_1234 For This Useful Post:

    iamachine1976 (06-15-2019)

  19. #12
    Beginner iamachine1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26
    Member
    52260
    Handicap
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DG_1234 View Post
    I am not a proponent of "in swing" thoughts. My belief is that if a player adopts a fundamentally sound address posture then his/her body will naturally make an effective pivot , without having to think about it during the swing.
    Another key to making a proper pivot-turn-weight shift is using relatively light grip pressure at address. Most amateur players grip the club with way, way too firmly, and this causes several problems throughout the swing, not the least of which is wrongly using hands-wrists-arms to create a back swing. In contrast, when a player uses light grip pressure he/she naturally allows the body pivot-turn to power the back swing.
    Finally, the primary tenet of Jack Nicklaus' swing philosophy has always been "steady head". From his junior golf days onward Nicklaus steadied his head at address and tried to make his turn back and through rotating around a steady head.
    Thanks
    Yeah, playing a round is for fun. I try to limit myself to just one swing thought. Like tempo or left wrist or something. I definitely try to make improvements or get something out of practice however. So I don't mind shaking things up a little when something isn't going right.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  20. #13
    Beginner iamachine1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26
    Member
    52260
    Handicap
    11
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Thank you guys for the comments. This was exactly what I was hoping for by posting this question. Just wanted to hear how people deal with this issue as it is an important one! Again, videos and articles are great, but it's valuable to hear what real people think and do. Hopefully you all are enjoying the US open this weekend.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to iamachine1976 For This Useful Post:

    oumagic (06-15-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •