THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

If I'm honest, I would say, I am not ready. If it were this Saturday, I would be in for a grind. I have not touched a club since last Thursday because of a lower back issue. I feel much better today and will be hitting the course for some chipping work. I may try to putt a bit, but standing over a putt bothers me more than a full swing when this lower back issue pops up on me. I'm certain by this weekend, I will be back to my normal play/practice routine. I guarantee, I will be ready for RR week and I am really looking forward to the practice round coming up in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to meeting all you guy's and putting faces to names.

We've got plenty of time, rest and get healthy. Don't push it now if it's gong to cause problems later.

Got out for nine this afternoon. I'll post most of the details in the practice thread, as that's what the round quicky became due to the threesome in front of me, that must have been trying to set the record for slowest nine holes EVER and beause the ball striking was less than what it needs to be, with the exception of the driver.

I had two of my longest drives in about a year today, with the Nike Fly, one at 236 and one at 241, the others wee in the "normal" range of 215 or so. But just happened to put real smooth swing on those two. With the exception of a really bad pull hook, they were all in the fairway.

Went out and shot a 47 this morning. Not the best nine ever, but given where I was last week, it's much improved. Shortened an slowed my swing down, and for the most part, it helped. Now I need to keep myself from standing over the ball too long.

If I'm honest, I would say, I am not ready. If it were this Saturday, I would be in for a grind. I have not touched a club since last Thursday because of a lower back issue. I feel much better today and will be hitting the course for some chipping work. I may try to putt a bit, but standing over a putt bothers me more than a full swing when this lower back issue pops up on me. I'm certain by this weekend, I will be back to my normal play/practice routine. I guarantee, I will be ready for RR week and I am really looking forward to the practice round coming up in a couple of weeks. I am looking forward to meeting all you guy's and putting faces to names.

Lower back lack is brutal. As others have said, take your time. You don't wanna make it worse and end your season.

Everyday it's inching closer to the big showdown. I hope everyone is putting in the work, it's going to be an epic battle on what looks like an awesome course. I believe it's going to come down to the last couple of holes, should be an exciting finish.

Just got a steroid injection in my back. Doctor says I should be back on the course by Sunday. Modern medicine is amazing.

Just got a steroid injection in my back. Doctor says I should be back on the course by Sunday. Modern medicine is amazing.

Here's hoping the DMV team doesn't decide to sideline you for performance enhancing drugs

Here's hoping the DMV team doesn't decide to sideline you for performance enhancing drugs

My brother said the same thing lol. I don't think it works the same. My spine is gonna be jacked though!

I've had the injections and they work for a few days. But just recently I had 4 nerves in my lower back/spine fused. So basically I don't "feel" the pain anymore. It's there but not as noticeable. Huge strides in medicine these days. Heck. .. beats surgery any day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Planning on hitting the range tonight, and hopefully tomorrow or Friday. What I will do depends on how the knee / foot feels. I know wedges will be hit - a lot. Really seeing that work pay off on the course, especially on days when my ball striking isn't where I want it to be.

Lower back lack is brutal. As others have said, take your time. You don't wanna make it worse and end your season.

Thanks. It's one of those nagging issues that I have had for 30 years. Sometimes a sneeze or tying a shoe causes it. I'm not in the worst shape, but even when I was in great shape it would happen every couple of years. Never had to miss a season though, that would suck. I am feeling much better and ready to rock. Too bad the weather took a turn and got cold again here. Next weeks supposed to be nice. Looking forward to getting out. That round will determine if I seek professional help or not. Usually a little lay-off like the one I'm on clears up any swing issues. We shall see.

My brother did the epidural thing about a year ago. He said it worked wonders for his back. It was cortisone I think. Do you get the same instant relief with a steroid?

My brother did the epidural thing about a year ago. He said it worked wonders for his back. It was cortisone I think. Do you get the same instant relief with a steroid?

I think cortisone is a steroid!

Had a very quick range session during lunch. I like my iron swing right now and driver is coming along and had better success than last few times out

Not instant. Cortisone is a pain reliever. The steroids will reduce inflammation of the nerve. Should take a day or 2.

Last edited:
Bad my usual weekly lesson today. We basically continued to keep ingraining the correct swing into my mind. We also continued to work on what to do when I lose my swing. Basically how to self diagnose. I'm going to miss this instructor when I move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad my usual weekly lesson today. We basically continued to keep ingraining the correct swing into my mind. We also continued to work on what to do when I lose my swing. Basically how to self diagnose. I'm going to miss this instructor when I move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can go back and visit ....after July 9th of course!

Stupid range session stunk today. More grounders ... swing seemed to improve when I was practicing in the yard. Though.

I wish I had an instructor worth a damn.

Had a visit from MDGolfHacker at the course this afternoon. We went out in very windy conditions for a 5 hole loop. Then just for hits and giggles played the No 1 hole on one of the nines from the tips. A 594 yard big boy hole into a 20 mph wind.

I hit driver, 3 wood, and 3 wood all very solid and then hit a 6 iron from 135 into a green side bunker. MDGH hit driver, a smoked 3 wood and another soild 3 wood, wedge.

Other than that the 5 holes we played, I had mixed results. Good off the tee with driver, soild contact with the irons but need to work on accuracy still. Pretty solid wedge and putting day.

A graphic representation of the thread.

142b768dea1616263da8d779eb150076.jpg

Everyone was excited to get on these teams.....however it feels a little flat line now.

I guess as a Captain I'm failing to get you guys engaged?

So I will leave you with this. This is not my event, it's not Ron's event. Hell THP and True Temper were gracious enough to host the event, but it's not solely about them either. It's YOUR event! I said it's a marathon not a sprint....but I didn't expect to have grab the paddles to revive it at the 13 mile mark.

To the Carolina team.....expect to feel like the University which caries your team name felt recently when it's said and done!

#OWN125

Get yourself into some yoga. You'll find you won't need the drugs as much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Everyone was excited to get on these teams.....however it feels a little flat line now.

So I will leave you with this. This is not my event, it's not Ron's event. Hell THP and True Temper were gracious enough to host the event, but it's not solely about them either. It's YOUR event! I said it's a marathon not a sprint....but I didn't expect to have grab the paddles to revive it at the 13 mile mark.

To the Carolina team.....expect to feel like the University which caries your team name felt recently when it's said and done!

#OWN125
Yep, I noticed the slow down as well, I know I've had two crazy busy days at work. But despite that we all need to remember how fortunate we are the be in this great event. I know some of the other event threads, not just RR, but any events, guys will take questions from the entire forum to answer anything. I'd love to see that here, but I know we don't get a lot of guys outside the two regions coming in here.

I throw something out there. Last night enjoyed a nice long dinner with MDGolfHacker and there was a lot of RR talk. One question he asked me, was if I had planned on any major club changes coming up. he wasn't speciically thinking about RR but just knowing anyone on THP tends to always be tinkering.

I told him, I have some wedges coming (we had talked about earlier during our round) and that I needed to find a hybrid to fit between the 5 wood and 5 iron gap. But as much as I have my eye on some other irons out there, that I felt I was hitting the CF16's well enough that I didn't want to mess with that before RR.

And I'm pretty certain the Toulon Memphis will be in my bag far enough in advance of RR to get it dialed in.

I know this question was asked a month or so ago, but what's everyone's latest thought. What changes are coming up in your bag, or are you standing pat.

As to T2GRN18's statement about the Carolina team and University both feeling the same way. I'm sure the Carolina boys will be just as gracious in defeat as Marcus Paige was, and not go the Cam Newton route

#OWN125
So the DMV will be behind until the very end and then hope to clutch victory with two unicorns? :D :act-up:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back