Golfing family members

slimjim32

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody have family members that were good at the game of golf?

My grandfather was probably the best short game player I’ve seen, and played very well back in the day. He set a couple course records in college and was elected into the University of Oregon’s golf hall of fame.

7246ea548363cbe78522f03d4b821bf4.jpg

b24987953d7e551d3b75f4cf0237797d.jpg

The first photo is from the Oregon Golf Association’s website, about the history of golf in Oregon.

The second photo is from a University of Oregon program from 2014.

thats awesome. i dont have family members that play or watch golf. closes thing was my sisters ex bf.. i remember he was the #1 player on his HS team. how good? i dont know, i wasnt into golf then. he must have been good because he was really good in tennis but choose golf over tennis.

I am proud of my family's golf history but it is not to the extent of a hall of fame career.

My mom and dad have multiple gross club championships.

I am hoping each generation continues to improve. My grandpas were both around a 10 handicap and my dad was about a 6. I’ve played between a 1.8 and a +3.1 since 1981 and my 8th grade daughter is showing signs that she can be pretty good. She played in a varsity sectional match yesterday and the best 4 teams advanced to the next round so she will be playing again on Monday. Playing varsity at age 13 is a great experience for her. I’d love to see her stick with it for all 4 years of high school and maybe even play some college golf. My two older kids never really showed much interest so I appreciate her passion for the game even more.

Last edited:
My uncle's cousin or brother (been too long and I can't remember) was Jug McSpaden.

But since my uncle was married to my dad's sister, no blood relation to Jug.

I know of no one in my family who ever played golf until I started playing in the early '90s. Pretty sure it's the same on my Wife's side (she just started a few years ago).

Found this reference to my great-grandfather while doing genealogy research.

Philadelphia Golf History: 1941 Hurst Invitational

By Pete Trenham
Published August 24, 2009
In the third week of September 1941, the PGA Tour was in Philadelphia for the first annual $5,000 Henry Hurst Invitation at the Torresdale-Frankford Country Club. The host professional, Jack Sawyer, had been the professional at Torresdale- Frankford since 1912 and held the position for over 50 years. The tournament came about because Torresdale-Frankford needed to put a fence around their golf course and Henry Hurst, a member, told the club that if they would let him bring a PGA Tour event there he would make enough profit to put up the fence, and he did.

I knew he was the golf pro there and had lived on the course. He died when I was very young. My grandmother was a club champion there as well but I never saw my dad with a golf club, strangely enough.

My uncle was a very very good junior golfer. Actually golfed in some tournaments with Justin Thomas’ dad. Gave the game up because he just stopped enjoying it. He won or at least placed at the 1975 golden bear invitational from a recent conversation around the memorial, and said the year prior winner was roger maltby haha.

Found this reference to my great-grandfather while doing genealogy research.

I knew he was the golf pro there and had lived on the course. He died when I was very young. My grandmother was a club champion there as well but I never saw my dad with a golf club, strangely enough.

Your great-grandfather was a head pro for a course for over 50 years?!!?!?

My brother is around a +2 and tried playing on one of the little tours but didn't last long. It's fun to watch him play though, it's just so steady.

Incredible, isn’t it? I found that he was on the organizing committee for the Philadelphia section of the PGA back in 1921.

They actually had a house in the middle of the course, past the third green, I think. I remember visiting my great-grandmother there many times at Easter, Christmas, etc. they allowed her to continue living there many years after he died. We always had to be quiet and when we could play, we knew to stay off the greens. The best was the sledding in winter since there was a great hill there. You did need to navigate over the creek at the bottom. ☠️

This is awesome. Really cool OP and really cool story about the 50 year Head Pro. He would have literally saw three generations of some families golfers.

No family here (yet, hopefully). My middle son is going to be very good. How good? Dunno. He was a single digit HC last summer at 13. Last year he broke 80 4 times, and his 150 club was his 5i. All short game finesse no distance. He’s made some solid distance gains this year. Driver is getting out to 250+ and he’s hitting 8i to 150. The kid is gonna wipe the floor with me this year. Be prepared for a proud papa thread sometime during his Freshman golf season this fall... :)

Back