One Rule You Ignore

If I hit a ball off a tee (and it's clearly in play and there is no reasonable need for a provisional)..... and if I can't find it, there is no chance I am walking back to re-tee

This too! AND I hate it. I just wish this custom would be squashed. Ta hell with pace of play as an excuse, I want to play golf not some other game.
AND YET! I want to fit in. So thank you and off to the next tee box.

I'd have polite words though, if someone gave a youngster a birdie putt. Because you know, it ain't earned if given.

Why? Its not against the rules an in match play is encouraged. Since I assume in this instance it is not a stroke play event, a gimme can be just fine, right?

If someone gives you a putt but you still hit it anyways and it doesn't go in whats the unwritten rule there...

It was given and I'll write down like it was made. That miss will carry on. That is why I pick up given putts despite my completionist view.

Why? Its not against the rules an in match play is encouraged. Since I assume in this instance it is not a stroke play event, a gimme can be just fine, right?

True... I do not play match play much. That is part of that game. I'm almost always in stroke mentality.

It was given and I'll write down like it was made. That miss will carry on. That is why I pick up given putts despite my completionist view.

I asked because it happens all the time with me. People giving me putts I didn't ask for in non competitive matches. I'm like dude, I got this sweet putter I have been meaning to use but hey thanks for the no pressure putt now since the putt was conceded before the shot.

Biggest one for me is moving my ball from a tree root

I asked because it happens all the time with me. People giving me putts I didn't ask for in non competitive matches. I'm like dude, I got this sweet putter I have been meaning to use but hey thanks for the no pressure putt now since the putt was conceded before the shot.

Yeah I just take and give those and don't count anything after it is given. The mark, or ball goes in my pocket when I hear it.

If I have an itch, I'll sometimes roll one after the hole (if there is time) as people are leaving the green for myself. As much as I'd like the test, I think it is a bad habit to get into or rush.

In match play though. You do not have the option and that is part of that game type.

1. My friends and I, about 20 years ago, adopted the "liberal lateral drop". If your ball goes, out-of-bounds, into a hazard, or is lost. You drop the ball into the fairway at the point closest to where you last saw it, and add a stroke. No going back to the tee, no stroke and distance, no keeping your ball between the hole and the place it crossed the margin. Just drop in the fairway, add a stroke, keep playing.

2. We move a ball off a tree root. No one needs to risk injury.

3. If your ball lands in an area with lots of pebbles, rocks or stones, you get a free drop. We don't get free equipment like the pros and it's not worth gashing up your clubs.

Very sensible

I try to play by the Rules as much as possible, but even though we are playing our own ball for stroke score, not a match, I will take a conceded putt when given.

In addition to some of what's already been said...we also play double par max per hole. Just to keep it moving, write your 8 down and move on.

Luckily that rarely happens for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In addition to some of what's already been said...we also play double par max per hole. Just to keep it moving, write your 8 down and move on.

If you are an established golfer a max score isn't a bad idea. Honestly, who is gratified often on those holes?
I don't usually stop if I hit my stroke etiquette, but if I have a tin cup moment: I'm not against picking up and using it.

Just deflates that round's personal value...

I take any putt given to me in Sunday morning stableford, depending on the group that may be 6" or less and others a little more generous at 12-18".

As far as ones I do myself, about the only one I can think of is roots. I've got to work Monday morning and I'm not about to do it with a cast on from a broken wrist. Other than that I follow the rules. I dont want to get in an habit of bumping out of a divot and then doing it out of habit in a tourney. Just over the weekend at a tourney I landed in a divot after a great drive, I hit out of it and yes I complained the whole time. As we are playing the next hole, it runs parallel to the divot hole I just finished, I hear the next group griping about being in a divot and then "looks like ground under repair to me" and foot wedges it out. That pissed me off more then me having to hit out of the divot.

If playing by myself or just a fun round I'll move the ball from roots and rocks. Any other play it's by the book.

I play with some beginners that use this rule too. If not for this we are looking at a 6 hour round.

1. My friends and I, about 20 years ago, adopted the "liberal lateral drop". If your ball goes, out-of-bounds, into a hazard, or is lost. You drop the ball into the fairway at the point closest to where you last saw it, and add a stroke. No going back to the tee, no stroke and distance, no keeping your ball between the hole and the place it crossed the margin. Just drop in the fairway, add a stroke, keep playing.

3. If your ball lands in an area with lots of pebbles, rocks or stones, you get a free drop. We don't get free equipment like the pros and it's not worth gashing up your clubs.

Now that's my kind of golf! I'm not a pro and I never will be. I golf for fun and hanging with friends. I don't care what my buddies do while they play and we certainly aren't playing for enough money that I need to "watch" them.

Going from playing for fun to playing in leagues has made me realize what a lax player I had been. Guilty of all the major rules infractions: stroke & distance, not playing off of tree roots, taking the ball out of fairway divots, you name it.

Now that most of my rounds are against other players I am much more strict with my play. There is only one rule that I knowingly ignore: substitution of ball on the green. I HATE putting a scuffed or dirty ball and almost always replace with a clean one I keep in my pocket after I've marked it on the green. I would stop if anyone called me out on it but thankfully I havent played with a stickler yet this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

... There is only one rule that I knowingly ignore: substitution of ball on the green. I HATE putting a scuffed or dirty ball and almost always replace with a clean one I keep in my pocket after I've marked it on the green. I would stop if anyone called me out on it but thankfully I havent played with a stickler yet this year.

You know, I pack around a small towel (which I've been guilty of running back after) and like to putt with a clean ball. Pace of play can be the reason for adoption... Just pack around a lucky putting ball in your pocket.

I like how you're thinking but not willing to go there just yet.

Wow where to start...

Playing white stakes as a lateral hazard is the first one that came to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ignore playing your opening tee shot, that’s why we call it a breakfast ball folks.

Lift-Clean-Place from fairway only.

A long time ago i hit a shot by a tree, caught the root and tore my shoulder up. I will move ball from base of trees every damn time. I paid enough back then

If I hit into a divot I move it to right behind the divot on the very edge of fresh grass. This is only in the fairway though.

I will move my ball off a tree root, and not give myself a penalty. Or anyone else who does it, as golf clubs aren't cheap.

These are my two biggest rules I ignore. No relief from a divot in the fairway is absurd and I’m not risking damage to a club or myself because of a tree root. It’s just not worth it and it doesn’t happen enough to really matter.

I play as much by the book as a I can, but if I had to pick one I play all shots that go OB stroke and distance to help speed up play.

The other one is if my ball comes to rest behind a root/stump I’m moving it bc I don’t need to injure myself.

This^^^

very comfortable overlooking a roll from a tree root.
very comfortable telling someone to rake a footprint in a bunker and placing.

That said, I am more inclined to penalize myself for the drops. I don't need to give anyone help playing against me in handicapped events.

I don’t play out of divots unless they’re fresh... I’m not going to be punished because the grounds crew at the course does a second rate job and the divots are crusty, half grown mess that have been there for 2 weeks.

Back