One Rule You Ignore

I'll drop a ball if I hit one OB and thought it was in or if it is unexpectedly lost. However, I charge myself two strokes.

I'll drop a ball if I hit one OB and thought it was in or if it is unexpectedly lost. However, I charge myself two strokes.
Is that against the rules now? Assuming the "committee" allowed the local rule.

Is that against the rules now? Assuming the "committee" allowed the local rule.

No, it's not, but in a really casual game, I won't always make sure I define the drop area perfectly. Most people also only charge themselves a single stroke, local rule or not.

No, it's not, but in a really casual game, I won't always make sure I define the drop area perfectly. Most people also only charge themselves a single stroke, local rule or not.

Truuuuu

Let me ask you this. I golf with someone once every other month or so, older friend, helped me a lot with Golf. He tees off with a SuperSoft then changes ball to the ProV1 on approach shots.

I don’t care at all. Would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t care. You can change balls during the hole.

Main one I violate is that I'll play LCP sometimes even when the course is under "summer rules".
I didn't pay $80 to slap a muddy ball around.
PNW golf lol. I'm guilty of this too.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

In our weekday gangsome we get relief from rocks and roots as to damage our equipment or hurt ourselves. But in tourney play at the club and other matches I play the ball is played down

I don't understand the just causally taking a drop for OB or lost ball to speed up play. Just hit a provisional. You know from the tee if it is marginal to find so why do you have to drive/walk down there then back? My league implemented a max quad so I play that as well. If you are teeing up a 3rd time just take your quad (ESC done for inputting score).

I get the tree root argument as well but at least take an unplayable so there is a cost to it. I love hitting out of trees and the desert as it helps my confidence when I really need to hit it in a tournament. My wrist, shoulder, and elbow on my right side have been injured many times (only once from golf) and I never go into a shot (divot, tree root, tire rut) scared of injury. If there is a doubt I call it unplayable and take the stroke.

My clubs are tools for a job not an art piece. I take care of them but having scuffs from rocks in the desert doesn't bother me at all. They get checked for loft and lie 2x a year and really I don't see a lot of movement in my forged clubs.

I don't understand the just causally taking a drop for OB or lost ball to speed up play. Just hit a provisional. You know from the tee if it is marginal to find so why do you have to drive/walk down there then back? My league implemented a max quad so I play that as well. If you are teeing up a 3rd time just take your quad (ESC done for inputting score).

I get the tree root argument as well but at least take an unplayable so there is a cost to it. I love hitting out of trees and the desert as it helps my confidence when I really need to hit it in a tournament. My wrist, shoulder, and elbow on my right side have been injured many times (only once from golf) and I never go into a shot (divot, tree root, tire rut) scared of injury. If there is a doubt I call it unplayable and take the stroke.

My clubs are tools for a job not an art piece. I take care of them but having scuffs from rocks in the desert doesn't bother me at all. They get checked for loft and lie 2x a year and really I don't see a lot of movement in my forged clubs.

Because sometimes it isn't "lost" because the entire group saw where it went - It's in the trees, but it's right by tree x easy find, but then it turned out that some bush swallowed it when you got there. We're not always playing in a league. In casual play just drop the ball in the first cut +2 strokes and continue. Like today, I found the impossible to find ball that was in a bush - took an unplayable, yet lost the one that should have been an easy find.

Because sometimes it isn't "lost" because the entire group saw where it went - It's in the trees, but it's right by tree x easy find, but then it turned out that some bush swallowed it when you got there. We're not always playing in a league. In casual play just drop the ball in the first cut +2 strokes and continue. Like today, I found the impossible to find ball that was in a bush - took an unplayable, yet lost the one that should have been an easy find.

If everyone saw it and it should be by that tree then why are you dropping in first cut? Drop by the tree.

If I hit towards trees or desert or OB then I am taking a provisional and it takes a lot less time then searching for over 3 minutes then finding the "proper" place to drop. I am a 9.5 handicap so I definitely lose shots to hazards and take provisional shots.

I play with multiple types of folks and have fun no matter what. I have guy I play with that is a strict rules player and another guy that "fluffs" his ball everytime and I get along just fine. When I play for money it is very defined what rules we play with and if we can't agree then it is just for fun.

My comment about not understanding is solely based on me wanting to improve....if you never know what you would have really shot then how can you improve?

I will move my ball off a tree root, and not give myself a penalty. Or anyone else who does it, as golf clubs aren't cheap.

Nor are medical bills. :act-up:

I will do the same.

My best friend and I have a standing agreement that we won't take worse than a bogie on the first hole of the day. We rarely if ever get there early enough to warm up or hit balls so that's our rationalization :)

The mud on the ball was a big problem at my last course in California even during the dry summer months as they had to water a lot and the drainage in spots was lousy. I had no problem with cleaning a ball that was in the middle of the fairway that had a large chunk of mud on it. Luckily at my new course I haven’t had the mudder problem even after we get a couple inches of rain. The soil at my new course will stick to the ball occasionally but not in such large chunks that it will change the shot.

One rule that I see commonly violated is using the slope function on a rangefinder. I’m not a fan but many guys at my club seem to think it’s perfectly O.K., even during league or tournament play. One guy was DQ’d last year for using his slope function during the club championship so hopefully this will change some minds.

I post solo rounds all the time.

So do I and I think very many do as well. While not very often that I am alone Imo this rule is not at all any stroke nor any performance related part of ones game. So imo it means absolutely nothing.

I feel all courses should adopt a no provisional rule and just use a 2 stroke drop rule for lost or oob. Too many us amateurs have as much chance at also losing a provisional or also hitting it to the opposite side of the layout and now have to search for two balls instead of one and do it on opposite sides of the holes layout.

I have no issue with picking up if ones play is clogging the pace. But if ones group is keeping pace or pace ahead is slow it doesn't matter how many strokes one takes imo.

I am guessing I break rules without even knowing it as I do not know all the rules of golf. That being said it kind of depends on who I am playing with if just friends we are a little more liberal picking out of divot, using the foot wedge from roots or bad spots on the course or placing in bunker since no one raked. If playing with strangers will go more by the book and if not sure on the ruling will ask others playing with if they know.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

For me, I'll flip this the other way. The only rule I FOLLOW is have fun!

All of them, usually.

I'm not any good. I'll never play in a tournament. Hell, I'm not even that concerned about counting strokes anymore.

It's a headspace that makes me happy and makes the game I play more enjoyable, and I understand the game I play is not golf.

Tree roots. In league play we always allow them to be moved. It's not worth someone damaging a club or getting hurt. We've had both happen multiple times.

We don’t generally play Stroke and distance as a penalty. I know the rules allow for this change this year, but we always generally just drop a ball in the area it was lost and take one stroke and more on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of them, usually.

I'm not any good. I'll never play in a tournament. Hell, I'm not even that concerned about counting strokes anymore.

It's a headspace that makes me happy and makes the game I play more enjoyable, and I understand the game I play is not golf.

I haven't kept score in years, so I totally appreciate this vibe!

If the tree root is basically in the woods then I take a stroke and move the ball, or I chip it off, not much risk there and it's not cheating, such a poor shot deserves a penalty, it's called golf.

If the tree root is on/near the mowed grass I would move the ball without penalty, Abnormal Ground Condition, but I've never had that happen.

I think the only rule I stretch is stroke and distance, I do hit provisional balls when in question so it's rare but if I lose a ball I don't go back, can't do that, so I drop and take 2, but I think the new rules allow that with a local rule?

I move my ball from tree roots or rocks. That's the only thing I can think of.

Back