2016 Masters Thread & Contest - Amazing Prize

They're not seriously considering stopping play are they?

It is when you have to back off and touch your security towel before every shot.

If the PGA isn't going To do anything about it you can't blame him for how slow he plays. Same for Day. Hell if it were me and it helped to play at a snails pace and I knew I wouldn't receive a penalty I would have no urge to play faster

I know exactly what you're saying. what I'm saying is that there is no reasonable expectation that there could be a man made crater on a putting green. that expectation exists everywhere else, but not the green. and there's nothing in the rules stopping me from doing it at will. it just seems like something that should be a rule.

and I'll say it again, I'm not pushing this because it's my cause. I'm just bored with the live coverage online right now and this is more fun haha

Sure there is. Have you never seen what golf cleats do to the greens? Hell, I would rather putt through a divot than that cross section of grain change that is caused by cleat drag.

And FWIW, that is your reasonable expectation. Since its allowed, the expectation should be that there might be a divot.

I know exactly what you're saying. what I'm saying is that there is no reasonable expectation that there could be a man made crater on a putting green. that expectation exists everywhere else, but not the green. and there's nothing in the rules stopping me from doing it at will. it just seems like something that should be a rule.

and I'll say it again, I'm not pushing this because it's my cause. I'm just bored with the live coverage online right now and this is more fun haha

The reasonable expectation is that you're aloud to chip on the green. I would never do it because
1. I'd leave a trench not a crater
2. I'd probably hit a worse shot than if i putted it
3. The super at my club might kill me.

If the PGA isn't going To do anything about it you can't blame him for how slow he plays. Same for Day. Hell if it were me and it helped to play at a snails pace and I knew I wouldn't receive a penalty I would have no urge to play faster

Well it depends. The world gave hell to Kevin Na and Sergio over the same situation and they were taken to task by the media and said "we will fix it". And have. The problem is, the media is afraid to do so with the top. We saw it for years with TW too.

They put him on the clock two days in a row so they're trying.

Sure there is. Have you never seen what golf cleats do to the greens? Hell, I would rather putt through a divot than that cross section of grain change that is caused by cleat drag.

totally disagree. cleat marks will bounce back quickly. there's no telling how badly someone could jack up the green trying to pitch and the damage could take days to recover.

What's the actual penalty for violating the clock?

Well it depends. The world gave hell to Kevin Na and Sergio over the same situation and they were taken to task by the media and said "we will fix it". And have. The problem is, the media is afraid to do so with the top. We saw it for years with TW too.

So much for the even application of the rules

totally disagree. cleat marks will bounce back quickly. there's no telling how badly someone could jack up the green trying to pitch and the damage could take days to recover.

And I will add that its YOUR reasonable expectation that the green is going to be smooth. Considering this is in the rules, perhaps its the expectation that is too high and not the value of the golfer using a wedge.

I don't remember Tiger being particularly slow. Maybe I just never noticed.

Stop me if you heard this before. Bubba Watson refuses interview post round.

And FWIW, that is your reasonable expectation. Since its allowed, the expectation should be that there might be a divot.
I would be good with banning anyone with adizero soft spikes, those things might as well be soccer cleats

What is he gonna say really? I played bad again and I'm in last. Do you really care what the guy at the bottom has to say regardless of who it is? It's unprofessional, yes, but what would be the point?

yep. they showed na twice yesterday and both times they made back handed comments about his pace. they showed all of js' round and I only heard one mention of them being on the clock, nothing about his actual pace. and they caught some audio of Jordan complaining about being on the clock, not because it wasn't fair but only because (paraphrasing) "I want to take my time but they have us on the clock." that's the point Jordan!

He wasn't even that slow just made the mistake of not knowing how to work the system. He would get to the ball at the same time as his caddie then the clock starts instead of walking nice and slow giving your caddie a 25 second head start on getting the yardage and then the clock starts once you finally get there.

yep. they showed na twice yesterday and both times they made back handed comments about his pace. they showed all of js' round and I only heard one mention of them being on the clock, nothing about his actual pace. and they caught some audio of Jordan complaining about being on the clock, not because it wasn't fair but only because (paraphrasing) "I want to take my time but they have us on the clock." that's the point Jordan!
I recall commentators commending him on backing off in order to wait for the wind to be right. It looks a bit muddled when commentators are complimenting something the officials are punishing him for.

Stop piling on. He's a nice guy who is just mistaken in the media

Heard the comment that Henrik Stenson is the best player on tour right now without a major and it made me think. I actually think they are right. Now the fan answer would usually be Fowler or DJ, but if you are going by current tour, I think that Stenson is hard to argue with.

Heard the comment that Henrik Stenson is the best player on tour right now without a major and it made me think. I actually think they are right. Now the fan answer would usually be Fowler or DJ, but if you are going by current tour, I think that Stenson is hard to argue with.
He's definitely up there. Taken as a whole career up to this point it's definitely Henrik, though I think Rickie's wins in the past two years would seem to indicate that he's got the minerals to beat the world's best at any given major.

Isnt fowler ranked above him though?

With his world wide wins, I think they are spot on. Sadly if that putter doesn't get fixed, he'll be like Westwood

Back