THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I know this question was asked a month or so ago, but what's everyone's latest thought. What changes are coming up in your bag, or are you standing pat.
I'm staying pat with possibly one exception ... even though I am hitting my FYBrid extremely well off the tee (I believe Sudhir can confirm that) I am intrigued by the F6 Baffler. It depends on the review Jman gives it, but either that or the F6 may find it's way into my bag. Whether it replaces the FYBrid, or my 3H, or neither remains to be seen. I may decide to go F6 3/4 wood instead ... but other than that, the rest of my bag is set. Last time we discussed this, I was figuring out my putter situation as well, but that has been settled with the Scotty Laguna 2 winning that slot. It's not coming out any time soon ... I feel very comfortable with it. I never thought I would feel this much difference in putters, but the Scotty really is a top notch club. I'm a fan.

The thing that has me the most frustrated right now is the instructor situation. The last guy I went to basically said "Start hitting it left and then come back to me." Problem is, I've never hit it left my entire life (unless it was a pull). I know my last lesson was a total s**t show, and I haven't been able to hit on the range for a few weeks now ... but the more I think about it, the more I think I need a bit more hands on help. There is one more guy in my area I can try ... he played for USC and is the assistant for the private CC in the area. Hopefully I can get a lesson from him. He played in a few PGA events when he got out of school, so I'm assuming he's a decent golfer :alien: Hoping he can help me out. I manage to survive on the course, but I want to thrive, not survive.

If that fails, I either need to go to Raleigh or Wilmington or Myrtle Beach. I'd rather not have to drive 4 to 5 hours round trip for an hour golf lesson.

Every time I hit the range or the course this event is on my mind and my motivation. 3 months away and while I can't wait for it to get here I will be using evey possible moment to prep for this.

Putting, chipping and pitching game is getting ready to go into full effect now that the practice greens I use are getting cut and the grass range will be visited at the course as well.

I'm staying pat with possibly one exception ... even though I am hitting my FYBrid extremely well off the tee (I believe Sudhir can confirm that) I am intrigued by the F6 Baffler. It depends on the review Jman gives it, but either that or the F6 may find it's way into my bag. Whether it replaces the FYBrid, or my 3H, or neither remains to be seen. I may decide to go F6 3/4 wood instead ... but other than that, the rest of my bag is set. Last time we discussed this, I was figuring out my putter situation as well, but that has been settled with the Scotty Laguna 2 winning that slot. It's not coming out any time soon ... I feel very comfortable with it. I never thought I would feel this much difference in putters, but the Scotty really is a top notch club. I'm a fan.

The thing that has me the most frustrated right now is the instructor situation. The last guy I went to basically said "Start hitting it left and then come back to me." Problem is, I've never hit it left my entire life (unless it was a pull). I know my last lesson was a total s**t show, and I haven't been able to hit on the range for a few weeks now ... but the more I think about it, the more I think I need a bit more hands on help. There is one more guy in my area I can try ... he played for USC and is the assistant for the private CC in the area. Hopefully I can get a lesson from him. He played in a few PGA events when he got out of school, so I'm assuming he's a decent golfer :alien: Hoping he can help me out. I manage to survive on the course, but I want to thrive, not survive.

If that fails, I either need to go to Raleigh or Wilmington or Myrtle Beach. I'd rather not have to drive 4 to 5 hours round trip for an hour golf lesson.
That seems like odd advice "come back after your hitting it left" Does he mean develop a draw then come see me, or what exactly. Yeah finding a good instructor can be a frustrating experience.

Every time I hit the range or the course this event is on my mind and my motivation. 3 months away and while I can't wait for it to get here I will be using evey possible moment to prep for this.

Putting, chipping and pitching game is getting ready to go into full effect now that the practice greens I use are getting cut and the grass range will be visited at the course as well.

Now that are greens and just about fully recovered from aeration, I plan on getting a lot of short game work in. Matter of fact did that last night with MDGH, when we finshed the last hole we just threw done a half dozen balls or so each and hit wedges shots from 20 to 40 yards to the green for about 20 minutes.

The excitement is as high for me as it was at the beginning! I truly wish it were possible to move the date up. Seems like a long time to have to wait to beat the Carolina boys but I guess it can't be helped!!

Question for both teams...in your match you are down 2 holes with 4 to play, do you start taking chances, firing at every pin or do you keep playing steady and hope your opponent makes a mistake?

Question for both teams...in your match you are down 2 holes with 4 to play, do you start taking chances, firing at every pin or do you keep playing steady and hope your opponent makes a mistake?
Hmmm, do I want to reveal potential strategy to my opponents? :wink:

I'd prefer to play steady. Playing steady will keep the pressure on my opponent to make a good shot. If I take a chance and fail (more than likely result given my handicap) it takes pressure off of my opponent. If I were a better golfer, I think I would try taking more chances, but I have to play what I can ... and that means playing safe.

I didn't want to burst your bubble after your last lesson, but it seemed like strange advice to me to come back after you accomplish what we have set out to do. Do you know anyone in your area who has taken lessons and happy with the instruction? Good golfers don't always make great instructors. I would hate for you to have to drive to Wilmington for a lesson, but I do know of someone here who is a good teacher if all else fails. Maybe someone else from the Carolinas region can chime in with someone they know closer to you who can help.

I think you have to judge that situation as it comes about, but I think you have to play aggressive at that point to put pressure on your opponent.

I would agree.

My game doesn't really lend itself to firing at pins. I'm doing well if I can get on the green, try for par and take advantage of any pops I might be getting.

I didn't want to burst your bubble after your last lesson, but it seemed like strange advice to me to come back after you accomplish what we have set out to do. Do you know anyone in your area who has taken lessons and happy with the instruction? Good golfers don't always make great instructors. I would hate for you to have to drive to Wilmington for a lesson, but I do know of someone here who is a good teacher if all else fails. Maybe someone else from the Carolinas region can chime in with someone they know closer to you who can help.
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more it annoyed me. I think he would make a better instructor for someone who had a consistent swing ... I don't. It's odd though, with my driver I've learned to play my cut well, my FYBrid is usually straight as an arrow when teed up, with my hybrids I'm usually good as well, and same goes for my GW. The 7-PW can give me fits though. Don't know why. Driving me crazy and I'm probably pushing at this point. Ron has given me a lead on an instructor in Raleigh but that's a 6 hour day right there too. Going to spend a week or two just working on my own, trying to make consistent contact with an easy swing. Once I get that down, I'll try again with this new local lead.

I don't think I would start taking a lot of chances and firing a pins. I think theres a chance I could get lucky and have it work out, but more then likely I would end up just giving the hole away.

I'm staying pat with possibly one exception ... even though I am hitting my FYBrid extremely well off the tee (I believe Sudhir can confirm that).

Yes. Sudhir confirming that Deuce is on the money 98% of the time with his FYBrid. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the format. If both players are hitting the same stroke from the same spot, then player 1 should try and find the putting surface while player 2 fires at the pin. I don't think you can ever rely on your opponent to make a mistake. If I'm going down, I'm going down trying to win, not hoping my opponent makes a mistake. If my partner is comfortable with the decision, I'm firing at pins all day long.

I think it depends on the format. If both players are hitting the same stroke from the same spot, then player 1 should try and find the putting surface while player 2 fires at the pin. I don't think you can ever rely on your opponent to make a mistake. If I'm going down, I'm going down trying to win, not hoping my opponent makes a mistake. If my partner is comfortable with the decision, I'm firing at pins all day long.

Love that attitude!!

A graphic representation of the thread.

142b768dea1616263da8d779eb150076.jpg

Everyone was excited to get on these teams.....however it feels a little flat line now.

I guess as a Captain I'm failing to get you guys engaged?

So I will leave you with this. This is not my event, it's not Ron's event. Hell THP and True Temper were gracious enough to host the event, but it's not solely about them either. It's YOUR event! I said it's a marathon not a sprint....but I didn't expect to have grab the paddles to revive it at the 13 mile mark.

To the Carolina team.....expect to feel like the University which caries your team name felt recently when it's said and done!

#OWN125

I've noticed this too. For me, I'm thankful to have the practice round coming up as a bit of a precursor to the RR. Being the new guy, I get the opportunity to play with several THP'er's at once and kind of get a feel for the whole experience.

I am still very excited. The event is on my mind everyday. It has given me a different perspective in regards to practicing and getting better. Sure, I always want to get better, but playing for yourself and playing for a team/region is completely different and way more motivating. I find myself more focused than I have been in a long while. It's good.

My back is to the point where I can play and practice with no limitations. I am hoping the last 8 days of layoff is going to show positive results because I was struggling for a couple of rounds. Sometimes a layoff is all you need to get back on track. I will see this weekend one way or another.

I've noticed this too. For me, I'm thankful to have the practice round coming up as a bit of a precursor to the RR. Being the new guy, I get the opportunity to play with several THP'er's at once and kind of get a feel for the whole experience.

I am still very excited. The event is on my mind everyday. It has given me a different perspective in regards to practicing and getting better. Sure, I always want to get better, but playing for yourself and playing for a team/region is completely different and way more motivating. I find myself more focused than I have been in a long while. It's good.

My back is to the point where I can play and practice with no limitations. I am hoping the last 8 days of layoff is going to show positive results because I was struggling for a couple of rounds. Sometimes a layoff is all you need to get back on track. I will see this weekend one way or another.
Glad to hear your back is doing better!

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more it annoyed me. I think he would make a better instructor for someone who had a consistent swing ... I don't. It's odd though, with my driver I've learned to play my cut well, my FYBrid is usually straight as an arrow when teed up, with my hybrids I'm usually good as well, and same goes for my GW. The 7-PW can give me fits though. Don't know why. Driving me crazy and I'm probably pushing at this point. Ron has given me a lead on an instructor in Raleigh but that's a 6 hour day right there too. Going to spend a week or two just working on my own, trying to make consistent contact with an easy swing. Once I get that down, I'll try again with this new local lead.
I'll lay it out on the lesson part. Normally I step back and remain silent but we have known each other a long time now ha. Instead of looking at it like it is a 6 hour waste of time (so to speak I know that's not what you said) think of it this way. You can drive 6 hours get a lesson to set you straight (if the guy and you mesh maybe you won't although I think you will) then hit the range and practice it. As of right now what you have is something that has messed with your swing and or confidence which takes WAY more than 6 hours to correct. In the end driving a bit for a person you know sets you straight is a savings I'm both time and money rather than bouncing around. I am also not a huge lesson every few days person I think it fills your (not just you everyone) head with to much and it takes much more to be successful. I am a groove what you are taught and until then don't go back for more unless it is to work on the same thing.

Don't let yourself get in the way of your golf swing. You have the talent and the drive it's there for the taking.

All this said the guy in Raleigh is great and I think he can help you but only you can decide who you fit with. Find a guy that works well and you fit with one lesson will do more than 5 with a guy your trying to force meshing with.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'll lay it out on the lesson part. Normally I step back and remain silent but we have known each other a long time now ha. Instead of looking at it like it is a 6 hour waste of time (so to speak I know that's not what you said) think of it this way. You can drive 6 hours get a lesson to set you straight (if the guy and you mesh maybe you won't although I think you will) then hit the range and practice it. As of right now what you have is something that has messed with your swing and or confidence which takes WAY more than 6 hours to correct. In the end driving a bit for a person you know sets you straight is a savings I'm both time and money rather than bouncing around. I am also not a huge lesson every few days person I think it fills your (not just you everyone) head with to much and it takes much more to be successful. I am a groove what you are taught and until then don't go back for more unless it is to work on the same thing.

Don't let yourself get in the way of your golf swing. You have the talent and the drive it's there for the taking.

All this said the guy in Raleigh is great and I think he can help you but only you can decide who you fit with. Find a guy that works well and you fit with one lesson will do more than 5 with a guy your trying to force meshing with.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Some good advice here and the bolded is spot on. Two weeks minimum between lessons for me. I need time to work on the stuff from the lesson, get a feel for it and see it working, if I'm confused or something doesn't feel right I email my instructor and ask a question or state what's happening

This event is on my mind everyday. It's why I'm in my bonus room practicing my putting tonight while I watch the Masters replay. It's why I'm playing in a money game this Saturday morning and playing in a work league on Monday nights.

At best I'm a sporadic poster. I can't live on THP. I have other obligations that take my time - one of which is spending time with my daughter when I'm not on the course or at work. That will take priority over posting in this thread that I'm excited.

This event is on my mind everyday. It's why I'm in my bonus room practicing my putting tonight while I watch the Masters replay. It's why I'm playing in a money game this Saturday morning and playing in a work league on Monday nights.

At best I'm a sporadic poster. I can't live on THP. I have other obligations that take my time - one of which is spending time with my daughter when I'm not on the course or at work. That will take priority over posting in this thread that I'm excited.

Nobody wants or expects you to drop your priorities for this event or any THP event. My come t this morning was an observation to the whole group. Several have said they noticed the same thing too. My point is it takes all of us to keep the buzz alive. It natural to have lull in activity somewhat within the lead up time. I think we all owe it to THP and True Temper to keep the fire burning.

The practice round / get together should really move this whole process up a couple of notches. Getting to know you guys better will provide extra incentive to try not to let any of my teammates down. I was reviewing the MVP prize which everyone needs to remember and I started my anticipation cycle all over again. I want to win it but I would be proud to have any person on team DMV walk away with the prize. As I recall Team DMV needs to win for any of us to have a chance. I need to increase my effort and focus. Win or lose, I want to do my best for the team. True Temper and THP is going to make this a dream come true event for us. Lots of great things are going on at THP right now but we committed to this first! Don't mean to speak out of turn but our Captain made a great point that hit home with me!

I think we all owe it to THP and True Temper to keep the fire burning.
We do indeed, which is why it never hurts to give them both a shout out with the RR hashtag and a picture everytime we are at the range, before a lesson, or on the course.

I'm guilty of letting this slip the last couple of times out. I won't let it happen again.

Good points. This last local guy comes recommended by the local university golf coach. No affiliation between the coach and this CC either. My morning golf partner, who is a professor there, asked for me. I felt good on the lawn today and kiddo had fun chasing down the foam balls. I'm going to reach out to this pro tomorrow and get something set up for a week or so if possible and give him a shot. If that doesn't go well, I'll talk to you about your guy in Raleigh.

I just tried to relax today ... noticed I had a death grip on the club, so much so that my forearms ached after a couple of swings. Relaxing helped. I need to stop being so uptight I suppose. ;)

Back