Launch angle with each iron?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm wondering what the stock launch angle is with each club in the bag. I know there is formula but is there a standard people can follow?

Wouldn't this depend on the swing and if the person is de-lofting the club at impact?

I have a few swings that I recorded and these were some of the results. I intend to eventually capture my averages with all my clubs. But this is what I had so far for myself.

Dr - 16* / 2200 rpm
4w
Hy
4i
5i
6i
7i - 23* / 4900 rpm
8i - 25* / 7300 rpm
9i - 27* / 7800 rpm
PW
50* - 30* / 9500 rpm
54* - 34* / 8800 rpm
60*

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Interesting question and one I'm curious about. I know TO said peak heigh should be very close. I looked at some numbers from a lesson. Driver and 7i were about 2* apart and there was about 4* difference between 7i and pw[/FONT]

recently, 7i was 20.5* with 4,774 spin, and driver was 13* with 3,394 spin. but the numbers i was seeing with the driver were about 20-25y shorter than what i (think i) see on the course and i was missing pretty low on the face maybe accounting for the excess spin.

For me, I use to be the longer the club the more upright the lie. My shorter clubs use to be bent for my hands to be lower than how I swing today. My last fitting included every club.

Launch angle with each iron?

Wouldn't this depend on the swing and if the person is de-lofting the club at impact?

I have a few swings that I recorded and these were some of the results. I intend to eventually capture my averages with all my clubs. But this is what I had so far for myself.

Dr - 16* / 2200 rpm
4w
Hy
4i
5i
6i
7i - 23* / 4900 rpm
8i - 25* / 7300 rpm
9i - 27* / 7800 rpm
PW
50* - 30* / 9500 rpm
54* - 34* / 8800 rpm
60*

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

You know I was at Dick's and in there fitting room they have a chart that shows what your launch angle and spin rate should be based on your swing speed for max distance. Should of snapped a pic of it now that I think about it.

I happened to have a session with a pro today to get some #'s. My launch angle with 7 iron on seemed awfully low (16*) with 4800 spin. This was indoors and I hate hitting into a screen (we went outside and hit on the range later). I do strike down and de-loft a lot. Pro said strikes / #'s I had were all good. I probably should have gotten them recorded (he may e-mail me some of them).

Added: I looked around online and I guess 16* ain't far off. PGA average launch angle is 16.3* with a swing speed of 90 mph. I was at 16* and my swings were around 88 mph. They seem to get a lot more spin (7000). I said my 4800 spin was on my 7i but also hit 3W and the 4800 could have been 3W and I don't recall. I know my driver spin was around 2800 and I do have to change out my driver this year to lower that spin (I am playing a 2009 driver right now).

Last edited:
I don't know the numbers yet since I just started gaming the Cobra AMP Cell regular graphite shafted irons, but I like the higher launch and half to one club increase in distance. I can use a little distance increase at 71 years young. The launch is higher per club than my Cobra King F6 regular steel flighted shafts.

No idea and if I did know I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was optimal or not.

Here's an old chart with pga and LPGA numbers, I would imagine they are pretty close to optimal.
4de60cb917cc127f5a4f81b61a11d0e7.jpg
dbd43c6a511b4bff277d5d987bc064aa.jpg

For some reason the chart o posted has distances and Heights in meters not yards, keep that in mind.

haha i launch 7i like a tour player's 9i but spin it like their 4i, which i guess is why my distance is about 3/4 club shorter than theirs

Here's an old chart with pga and LPGA numbers, I would imagine they are pretty close to optimal.

Looking at the numbers let's just say that if I had their short game, I could have a future on the LPGA Tour.

This is a great chart.
Damn...I'm 23* launch for my 7i....booo

I'm off the chart in a bad way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This chart is from June 2014 and generally regarded as the standard:

pgatourstats.png

The LPGA version:

lpgatourstats.png

wouldn't this depend on the other factors like attack angle and also center of gravity of the club? if there is a standard per say than are we talking a factory standard where as the specific club used would be at zero bottom contact? And even then different center of gravity would make on 7i diffrernt from another model 7i. No? And then also different model 7irons may also have different lofts. Just sayin...or asking.

wouldn't this depend on the other factors like attack angle and also center of gravity of the club? if there is a standard per say than are we talking a factory standard where as the specific club used would be at zero bottom contact? And even then different center of gravity would make on 7i diffrernt from another model 7i. No? And then also different model 7irons may also have different lofts. Just sayin...or asking.

By standard I meant "ideal shot"/numbers for each. Not that all clubs are designed the same or that most people will achieve them.

By standard I meant "ideal shot"/numbers for each. Not that all clubs are designed the same or that most people will achieve them.

thanks and when I said standard I was actually meaning to reference Freddy's question where he says "stock"

I'm wondering what the stock launch angle is with each club in the bag. I know there is formula but is there a standard people can follow?

I've followed the Trackman stats from both the PGA and LPGA tours. My SS is between the two and If I can put the numbers inbetween them and closer to the PGA average then I am happy. Currently my 7i launches more like a PGA players 9i/PW and carry it like there 8i, when I do thing right with the swing changes I get closer to the 7i launch but still about 2 degrees higher their 8i.

This chart is from June 2014 and generally regarded as the standard:

pgatourstats.png

The LPGA version:

lpgatourstats.png

Ok this is great! This what I was going was out there.

To understand my thought process. I was in a fairly deep fairway bunker (left) and need to get the ball up fast as I am 5' from the lip and I need to carry it into a cross breeze to a back right pin. I can't use a 7iron so I went with an 8i and really got after it. The ball launched high left of the green and as it dropped it moved right and ended up 12' from the hole.

I wondered at that money what was the launch of my iron on a stock swing vs a hard swing. Would my stock swing have gotten out of the bunker. This is the moment I started to think about launch angle with each club with a standard swing. I know there are tons of factors and swings. But if we thought of it as stock or standard then we would have a benchmark to start with.

I think most don't utilize their true launch because of the their swing and nuances in the swing. I'm trying to think of a way to get people to think stock and allow the club do what it was designed to do.

I think (and I could be wrong) given all swing angles and contact place are the same that your 8iron swing with the same club wouldn't change its launch angle because you swung the club harder/faster than normal. So I think your 8iron would have also gotten out of the bunker on the same launch angle even with your regular less violent swing assuming the AOA and point of contact were the same. It wouldn't have traveled as far due to less velocity but would have left on the same launch angle. Unless compression affects launch angle (which I do not know) and then that might be the only possibility for a different launch for the faster swing.

as for allowing the club to do its job. I think many amateurs suffer (including me) from a misguided thought process that the further away we are from our target, the harder we have to swing. I use to be on of them and still have to remind myself of this. Someone has a GW shot from say 115 and then later on has a 150 shot with an 8i and then later a 185 shot with a 5i etc....they often feel the longer the shot the more we have to put into it. Often making the mistake of not realizing the reason we are using the 5i from 185 is because the club will do the job if we just swing it the same as we do the 8i from 150 or the GW from 115. Of course the relative yardages will change for any given player but you get the point. It took me a long time (years) to realize we need to allow the club to do its job and how we don't have to make the ball reach the target by swinging any harder but to just swing the club and allow it to make the ball reach the target simply by selecting the right club for the distance. It helped my shot making a whole bunch once I realized that.

Of all the factors that affect launch angle, club speed is one of the least likely contributors:

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the harder you swing the lower the launch angle. I guess it'd be based on the clubhead lagging behind the wrists at impact on a harder swing. So a hard 8 would have about the same launch angle as a smooth 7.

Of all the factors that affect launch angle, club speed is one of the least likely contributors:

Really? I've always felt SS was a bigger factor in launch.

Back