OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Was reading an article about the cost of golf and got to thinking (uh oh)...

Have you ever tracked how much you spend on golf in a calendar year?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/am-i-too-poor-to-play-golf/amp?__twitter_impression=true

If you have and feel like sharing, but don't want to put the $ amount out there, just talk in % of yearly household income. I'm kind of afraid to try, but might just do it for this year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, I went back and counted it up once.

I've never made that mistake again.

P.S. If I wanted to put a positive spin on it, I could say my golf obsession costs about one day a week worth of my salary while I play golf about three times a week. So it's like a 3-for-1 deal!

I reject this thread as a reality. The mrs doesn't need any more ammo against my addiction.

A few years back I did a rough figure on what I’ve spent on equipment over the years and I could’ve bought a new truck

Yes, I went back and counted it up once.

I've never made that mistake again.

This is exactly my advice. Don't do it. I did it once with another sport I used to play and I quit the following year.

The old saying, "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it" I don't want to know, I budget for it for my monthly membership fees, and at least 1 round outside the home course. The rest I just deal with as it comes. I am saving for next year so I can hopefully get away from work for a THP event but those are always date sensitive.

I will just say it’s a lot for me haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old saying, "If you have to ask the price you can't afford it" I don't want to know, I budget for it for my monthly membership fees, and at least 1 round outside the home course. The rest I just deal with as it comes. I am saving for next year so I can hopefully get away from work for a THP event but those are always date sensitive.

For a little while I was a "three way loser". I belonged to an expensive (by my standards, would seem cheap to some) private club, took frequent 7-10 day golf vacations and also bought golf clubs and equipment like a true 'Ho. That combination is not sustainable on a normal middle-class income. So I had to prioritize.

I decided the private country club delivered by far the largest value proposition out of those three. So it stayed. The travel I just quit cold turkey. I'll play a couple rounds during family trips to the beach or whatever but no getting on a plane and playing 9 rounds in 7 days thousands of miles away.

The equipment thing I dialed back considerably. I still buy a new-to-me (i.e. used) set of irons every couple years, swap wedges and fairway woods more often than I need to. But the constant big-ticket stuff just had to go and I haven't really missed it. Not much of a value-for-money proposition in club ho'ing, more of a bad habit.

I mean it's a hobby I enjoy. Can I really put a price on having fun, hanging with friends, playing golf, and being outside? Nah.

Golf can be expensive, sure, but their are plenty of bargain deals you can find on courses, equipment, balls, clothing, etc.

I set a budget on what price I want to spend on those specific things and time to time I'll go above budget to play a much nicer course or better quality golf balls etc.

Just be happy.

It's cheaper than fishing from your own boat.

It's cheaper than fishing from your own boat.
This I can imagine. The only thing I can compare to that is my Jeep. I bought it new in 2009 for ~$24,100 ($33,100 sticker) and in the end had between $35k and $40k in it AFTER the cost of the Jeep.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is exactly my advice. Don't do it. I did it once with another sport I used to play and I quit the following year.

I'm curious what other sport you could play that would be equally expensive

I have no desire to put much thought into what I spend but I know it's not a small amount of money.

Considering I don't buy clubs a lot, it isn't really that much for me

Thinking back to last year, if I total up the membership costs, a couple of golf weekend trips, consumables (balls, tees, gloves, etc) and lessons it probably equates to around 1.5 months of my salary, and that is for both myself and Jen

This year will be considerably more expensive as I am going through a full bag fitting, but once I have those clubs they will be in the bag for a good few years, and depending on how much Jen improves this year I have also said to her about getting fitted for a set but she needs a bit more consistency in her swing first

I'm curious what other sport you could play that would be equally expensive

A mens bowling league. Once a week for 33 weeks most of which is during the winter and gave me something to do BUT between league fees, jackpots and adult beverages it adds up quickly and when you look at the big picture it kind of made me sick so I quit doing it

A mens bowling league. Once a week for 33 weeks most of which is during the winter and gave me something to do BUT between league fees, jackpots and adult beverages it adds up quickly and when you look at the big picture it kind of made me sick so I quit doing it
What's more satisfying...

Sandy Par from the Bunker...Or converting a 7-10 split.

I vote this thread to be closed.

We do not need in permanent writing what can be later used against us either in a court of law, serve as a sad reality check, or ammo next time we walk past a Tiffany's (for the ladies: past a lawnmower or Ferrari dealer).

What's more satisfying...

Sandy Par from the Bunker...Or converting a 7-10 split.

Odds of getting a Sandy are much better than even leaving a 7-10 split much less converting one. Golf is more satisfying in every way. Plus by quitting I now have more money for golf haha

I do not have a comfortable income, and I do not manage it well which is worse. You can have a lot or none, there will always be money issues.
Anyways, I have to commit to my local public to make it work. Travel is a blast and I miss it, but I'll take what I can get.

The membership I have covers green fees, cart, and range. I'd figure around 4%
Returning to the game so I saved and bought new equipment on new years. 4%
I'm out there three days a week now and suppose I'll burn a dozen balls a month, spent $200 on gloves to rotate, tee's, multiple sets of shoes, umbrella, etc. I'd tack on another 4% to keep in stock and up with the Jones.

This is well outside a 5-10% discretionary fund. Lucky I don't have much debt (house, car, school good)
It isn't even close, and I'm still a muni rat. Ohh well, save space on my tombstone coffee can to write, "He liked golf."

This last season I spent more than usual because I was getting into the game. I updated my bag somewhat but it wasn't too expensive because I buy clubs used and from prior seasons. I also sold a lot of old golf gear and made about $700 to offset the cost. I don't play expensive tracks because I suck at golf and it wouldn't be worth it. I also have other hobbies like shooting, which is also expensive. So, I have to watch what I spend on hobbies. I don't think I do too bad.

Odds of getting a Sandy are much better than even leaving a 7-10 split much less converting one. Golf is more satisfying in every way. Plus by quitting I now have more money for golf haha

With my bunker game, the 7-10 split is easier. And I haven't touched a bowling ball in 30 years.

You see, to convert a Sandy you have to get the ball OUT of the bunker. Talk about a low probability...

I dont like to think about it. Unfortunately I have to. If I was (or when I eventually am) retired I likely will not afford to play as much as I would like. Golf is expensive but "expensive" is at best only a relative term to everyone's financial state. Cost of golf is very different in different areas as well. I just hope that I will always be able to play this game at least once per week. More would be great of course.

Try doing it on a competitive level, I would go through about 15-25 balls a year. different weight block, surfaces, redundancy, ball return damage....

I'm fortunate to live in an area where golf per se is a pretty affordable pastime. I've met guys who play the local municipal course 4-5 times a week on a $500/year annual pass. Given that you can buy very nice 2pc low-compression balls (in an array of colors!) at Dick's for $10/dozen and the used-golf-club market is absolutely glutted with 10-15 year old models for dirt cheap, guys like that can play 200 rounds a year for a thousand bucks or so. That game is as much "golf" as what's played by people spending 20x as much.

With my bunker game, the 7-10 split is easier. And I haven't touched a bowling ball in 30 years.

You see, to convert a Sandy you have to get the ball OUT of the bunker. Talk about a low probability...

You've gotta get it out eventually, right?

Back