Push Carts at Private Courses

I know one the private CC's near me is no push carts and must ride. I don't get all this BS. If they really need the money to operate than why not just raise the yearly fees. I mean you pay x amount for yearly golf and yet you get charged when you play anyway. I mean whats the point? Just raise the yearly fee and allow everyone to do what they want. My buddy pays almost 10k a year and yet whenever he golfs he has to rent a cart for 30. Then he has to spend x amount at the club every month or pay that x amount if he does nothing.

The whole thing is not at all about being financially practical but is imo much more about being pampered and paying for it. Its not something that makes economic sense But that's not why the members join such a place. And many other places are far more expensive than that one. Its not the golf but is more a life style. But its not a lifestyle I can afford. I look only to what makes economic sense because that's the financial bracket I live in. To me (for me) its a waste of money but only because I don't live in that world where I have that kind of money for that. At least not just to play golf. And imo there are many people who join such places which are a tad above their means and then they can often regret being stuck playing that same course in order to get their money's worth and now they never golf elsewhere because they feel they are paying too much to go and pay somewhere else. kind of a catch 22 (in a not so good way) imo.
I cant play with my friend cause I cant afford his guest fees just to play a round (would be 130 to play) and he is stuck playing to only one course where he spends too much money. he likes it a lot but it has its downside imo.

Sorry for going off topic there for a bit. But the whole cart thing is about money just like the rest of the CC thing.

I play at English Turn in New Orleans. You can use one of their Clic gears or your own. $10 either way per round.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Why not just bake that into the round price then? That’s just silly.

Why not just bake that into the round price then? That’s just silly.
Because its $20 to ride in a cart and $0 to carry. This is for members. Guests pay a flat fee no matter what they do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My club in California was private and like other private clubs in the area, did not allow personal push carts. The annual pass for a push cart was $180. The annual pass for driving your own electric golf cart on the course, which almost half of the 400 members did, was $1,100.

My current private club in Minneapolis that has been around since 1924, allows personal push carts but storage must be in your locker or you must take it home with you. A season pass for a ClicGear 3.5+ is only $70. If you bring your own push cart, there is no charge. I chose to have my own push cart because it fits in my locker and I like it better than the Clicgear

Interestingly, if you have one of the battery push carts they will store it for you no charge, but will not charge batteries for you.

The other private courses here including the super exclusive ones that host Majors Championships/Ryder Cups like Hazeltine, mostly allow personal push carts.

My GM thinks I'm weird when I flat out tell him I want nothing to do with renting one of their carts haha.

Sometimes, that kind of thing is just... gross... And I absolutely HATE wear and tear.

My GM thinks I'm weird when I flat out tell him I want nothing to do with renting one of their carts haha.

Sometimes, that kind of thing is just... gross... And I absolutely HATE wear and tear.

Lol, that’s exactly why I bought my first push car in April. Last season half the time I rented a push cart the brake was broken or it was missing a cup holder. Now, I know exactly what I’m getting each round. A rental push cart is a bit like a rental car, you never know what condition the previous user left it in.

But if they already allow their own push carts, does it matter?

Not really except I think walking should be illegal, but I am old and fat so I am biased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the oldest old thing you've ever said.

...old

In all seriousness I have always believed carts make for better pace of play and I am always for whatever makes a good pace on the course

I'm just catching up on this thread. I don't understand this at all! I get that it's less money to walk usually, but why not allow people to use their own push cart. By that logic, they shouldn't let you use your own clubs, and make you rent theirs!

I am so attached to my Clicgear that for me it would be a non-starter to join a club that didnt allow mine.
I so have a bit of a gag reflex to blatant "nickel and diming" schemes that make no rational sense so it would be a double non-starter.

I'm just catching up on this thread. I don't understand this at all! I get that it's less money to walk usually, but why not allow people to use their own push cart. By that logic, they shouldn't let you use your own clubs, and make you rent theirs!

They should have a trail fee at a minimum

Not a member but I’ve been a guest at several. Here are the rules, as best I remember them

Claremont CC (Oakland, CA) - club owned carts available for use
Dove Canyon (Orange County, Ca) - not allowed

Portland area clubs
* Waverly CC - club owned carts available for use
* Tualatin CC - allowed, no fee
* Royal Oaks CC - allowed, no fee
* The Oregon Golf Club - allowed, no fee
* Willamette Valley CC - allowed, no fee

I am so attached to my Clicgear that for me it would be a non-starter to join a club that didnt allow mine.
I so have a bit of a gag reflex to blatant "nickel and diming" schemes that make no rational sense so it would be a double non-starter.
This is pretty much me.

I know this is slightly off topic, but thought I'd share anyway. I'm not a member anywhere. Earlier this year at one of the city courses in town I inquired as to the rate for walking (not necessarily even with a push cart) versus riding (their cart). I was told for the time slot I was playing (I think we were starting after 2pm) it was CHEAPER to ride than to walk! This made absolutely no sense to me but apparently it was some promotion that if I said I was going to walk (I had brought my push cart) they would have charged me more. Needless to say, I put my cart back in my car and rode.

May not apply as I am in the UK.

I have never, even at Archerfield which is super exclusive, been told I can't use my own push cart be it electric or manual. That goes for Cleveland golf club, Saltburn, Close House, Eaglescliffe I could just go on and on.

May not apply as I am in the UK.

I have never, even at Archerfield which is super exclusive, been told I can't use my own push cart be it electric or manual. That goes for Cleveland golf club, Saltburn, Close House, Eaglescliffe I could just go on and on.

Same here, I have never come across a club in the UK that doesn't allow you to use your own

I'd imagine one orthopedic injury and one dogmatic personal injury attorney may put that club rule to the test. Any allowance for disabilities or medical necessity?

I'm not advocating for nor due I support legal challenge. But IMHO, denying the use of one's cart, in many instances, is akin to denying someone a necessary physical/medical benefit. To claim, on their part, that carts are available for a fee is completely weak and attempting to monetize said physical benefit.

Ridiculous. Again, IMHO.

[/rant]

Dan, in response to the “uniformity” thing they claim, did you tell them you’d joined a golf course not a military school? They may be confused about the differences.

In all seriousness I have always believed carts make for better pace of play and I am always for whatever makes a good pace on the course

Carts don’t speed up play much, maybe 15 minutes per round but I’ve played many a resort course that averaged 4.5 hours with everyone on carts. I played 18 last week walking with a buddy and we finished in 2:25. It had been raining before we teed off and nobody was in front of us. With a cart we would have not been playing since the course was too wet to allow them. Our course is 75% walkers and our average morning foursome rounds take about 3:20 or way less as a twosome.

Oh no I don't believe that's the case at all. In fact players that are slow can be even slower with carts especially if they have no awareness how to use them efficiently with their riding partner. And lets not even mention those cart path only days. which are a disaster.

Very many feel that walking promotes a better readiness and better focus on ones game as they walk towards the next play. Also keeps the body lose. Frees the mind a bit, go directly to balls, prepare the next shot choice in the head while approaching the ball, etc,etc… There are many reasons that many feel and play better walking than they might riding.

The only one time that walking might cause one to slow a biut is when walking courses with too long distances between holes. And even then if the player is a pace aware person he will make it work anyway because most the walking time is play time and not between hole time anyway unless talking about real long distances but those are exceptions.

Ive seen very many times the slowest groups with carts. If both worlds of walkers and riders are efficient time type pace players than the carts can be a bit faster but if not they don't matter one bit and may even be slower.

I'm at a ClubCorp (Private) club and I could not find any official document on it. Our golf handbook doesn't mention personal push carts, though I see people use them and my son uses his in tournaments there at no cost. The handbook says renting one of theirs is $6.50 per round. But they also have a cart plan, so I'm sure anyone on that wouldn't be questioned if they used their own push cart or grabbed one of the club push carts. Sorry.

I think you'd be better off if you could find something in writing from various clubs. I'm not sure people's comments on the internet is going to get the club to budge. But I'm not sure why they would have an aversion to an annual fee.

What generally happens at most country clubs is that the pro is allowed to run the cart program and make money off of cart fees so they instill rules about using carts under the guise of speeding up play when it really benefits them by forcing people to pay another fee to them. Basically they don't make any money off of the membership dues and green fees, so they have pushed a revenue stream from the every day rounds played at the course.

Back