Push Carts at Private Courses

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question for the community I was hoping would help me better understand the Private course mentality around push carts. Ours is against us taking our own push carts out there, and while they allow the use of them, it must be one of the course owned push carts (for 11 dollars a round).

For those of you who belong to a Private club, could you let me know what club it is, and what their rules on push carts are? Hoping to build a case for my GM.

You know I am on the record saying that your club is foolish on this issue. Hopefully, some THPers can help you out on this one.

Our club allows push carts but I don't know the particular rules on them. I know there was a hot debate years ago but they finally relented.

You know I am on the record saying that your club is foolish on this issue. Hopefully, some THPers can help you out on this one.

I'm hoping it's a tired old rule that we can force out. At least he's allowing me some flexibility in at least building a case for it. That said, I don't have a real perception of what private courses normally allow - so I'll wait to hopefully see some positive response in here to build a final opinion on it all.

Optimistic that it improves. I want to walk evening 9s with my own push cart so bad, for my back.

Our club allows push carts but I don't know the particular rules on them. I know there was a hot debate years ago but they finally relented.

can you tell me whether your club is private, and what club it is?

Its all about money. If they let you use a cart, but insist you rent one, its only because they don't want you playing for free, even if you're a member. Can you hoof it and not use a cart at all?

I played at a friend's course last year, and they let folks take out their own carts.

I have a local Club Corp memebrship.

My home course has two 18's. Can't walk (ever) on one (ostensibly because the holes are widely spaced here and there---i take issue with that but I'll stop the digression).

The other 18 can be walked but only after 2:00 PM.

Another of the local CC courses allows walking on all 27 holes but again after 2:00 PM.

The other 2 18 holes CC courses allow walking whenever you feel like it.

There is no fee for walking at any of them---and you can use your own cart.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Its all about money. If they let you use a cart, but insist you rent one, its only because they don't want you playing for free, even if you're a member. Can you hoof it and not use a cart at all?

After 2pm on FRI-SUN, we are free to walk after 2pm. All other days at any time.

I suggested a trail fee of 100 dollars for approved push carts. I think that is a really fair compromise.

I have a local Club Corp memebrship.

My home course has two 18's. Can't walk (ever) on one (ostensibly because the holes are widely spaced here and there---i take issue with that but I'll stop the digression).

The other 18 can be walked but only after 2:00 PM.

Another of the local CC courses allows walking on all 27 holes but again after 2:00 PM.

The other 2 18 holes CC courses allow walking whenever you feel like it.

There is no fee for walking at any of them---and you can use your own cart.
I played at a friend's course last year, and they let folks take out their own carts.

Can you guys confirm whether these courses are private, and what their names are?

Can you guys confirm whether these courses are private, and what their names are?

Definitely private - just sent a PM with some more details.

After 2pm on FRI-SUN, we are free to walk after 2pm. All other days at any time.

I suggested a trail fee of 100 dollars for approved push carts. I think that is a really fair compromise.

Depending on the frequency, that doesn't seem absurd.

I can't help much, I play at a muni and do whatever I want.

You can do either at my club!

I have only been a member of 1 private club, and it is not exactly ritzy. The Dalles Country Club and there were no limitations on push carts.

My question is, how does the club justify this rule? Is it a safety rule? A way to make sure all players are members? If you can carry your bag with no cost then not sure how that could possibly be the case.

Depending on the frequency, that doesn't seem absurd.

I can't help much, I play at a muni and do whatever I want.

Same. I guess that is one of the benefits of putting up with slow play!

Do they allow you to walk with your own push cart but still charge you the $11? I mean, in the end, it's a business. So they are looking to nickle & dime you to death, whether you are a member or not. If that's the case, I doubt it's a personal attack on your cart vs theirs.

I have only been a member of 1 private club, and it is not exactly ritzy. The Dalles Country Club and there were no limitations on push carts.

My question is, how does the club justify this rule? Is it a safety rule? A way to make sure all players are members? If you can carry your bag with no cost then not sure how that could possibly be the case.

Consistency is a big reason. Uniformity is a big deal. He also believes that if they bend on push carts, members who have their own riding carts will expect to be given similar opportunities. I felt that was a stretch, but I have no way of confirming.

Do they allow you to walk with your own push cart but still charge you the $11? I mean, in the end, it's a business. So they are looking to nickle & dime you to death, whether you are a member or not. If that's the case, I doubt it's a personal attack on your cart vs theirs.

they do not. That's why I suggested the trail fee of 100 dollars a year.

No 100% private clubs here, but even the most high end semi-private will let you walk with your own push cart. TPC Dorado, Bahia Beach at St Regis both allow bringing your own push carts.

Now, I will say that a lot of walkers won't bring a sand bottle. They should be a requirement imo.

Consistency is a big reason. Uniformity is a big deal. He also believes that if they bend on push carts, members who have their own riding carts will expect to be given similar opportunities. I felt that was a stretch, but I have no way of confirming.

Just like with any rule, it all comes down to the letter of the law. Just make sure it states it in the rule somewhere that this is based on Push Carts & Push Carts only. That way there is no ambiguity. That is if they decide to change the rule. Incidentally, it's a ridiculous rule IMO. Public courses don't care, so why would a private course? At least you're allowed to walk. Some don't even allow that.

No 100% private clubs here, but even the most high end semi-private will let you walk with your own push cart. TPC Dorado, Bahia Beach at St Regis both allow bringing your own push carts.

Now, I will say that a lot of walkers won't bring a sand bottle. They should be a requirement imo.

One of the big reasons and/or selling points is that with more carts out there, the potential to carry a sand bottle increases greatly. I'd be filling divots constantly if I had one when I walked.

I know someone who is a Member at the exclusive golf course in South Tampa, Palma Ceia. Augusta Chairman Fred Ridley is a Member there and I believe he was the Chairman of this club as well.

Anyway, this guy plays with the same foursome every Saturday and/or Sunday morning and he walks/push cart. Now I'm sure his initiation fee and monthly dues are pretty expensive so I'd venture to say the leeway is pretty good, I also don't think their are tons of members, who knows.

My friend is a member of Hayfields Country Club, he said that you must rent one of theirs if you want to walk with a push cart. You are allowed to walk and carry your bag for free.

Back