george777

Reaction score
Handicap
A little controversy came up in a match last week. I was off the green about 10 feet away from the pin and another player was on the green, but about 40 feet from the cup. I always thought that in that case, even though I was not on the green,the other player was "away" and should have putted. Normally not an issue except the other guy thinks he invented the rules of golf. Am I wrong? thanks

Ready Golf. We'll ask and if the player who is further away isn't ready or says for us to finish up then we do.

Really doesn't make a difference to me.

In your case I would also say the player off the green is considered away.

He’s technically away, but in my opinion, just play ready golf. We aren’t pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little controversy came up in a match last week. I was off the green about 10 feet away from the pin and another player was on the green, but about 40 feet from the cup. I always thought that in that case, even though I was not on the green,the other player was "away" and should have putted. Normally not an issue except the other guy thinks he invented the rules of golf. Am I wrong? thanks

I had always thought it was the guy off the green but I just checked and rule 10-1B says I am wrong. Distance, not whether on or off green, does indeed determine it. Funnily enough, your exact scenario, including the exact same numbers, was in a March 31st 2009 Golf Digest article. Solid question and I learned something looking up the answer, I have been wrong on this one for years.

In a match he is away.

In a match he is away.

correct. Unless you've agreed to play ready golf, it should be his shot and not yours. If he wanted to be a stickler, you could hole your chip, and he could tell you it didn't count because it was technically his shot. That happened to Annika once.

I always thought it was the player not on the green as well. Thanks for the edjumacation.

I always thought it was the player not on the green as well. Thanks for the edjumacation.

i think that's true for stroke play, but could be wrong. in match play, i think it's just distance from the hole.

i think that's true for stroke play, but could be wrong. in match play, i think it's just distance from the hole.

Oh crap, even more confusion.

I always thought in stroke play that you wait to putt until everyone is on the green (unless you're playing ready golf). Then you determine who is furthest out.

I thought it was true in both scenario's that the player physically further away was the one up. I could be wrong as well haha

Interesting. I would have assumed the player off the green was away. But at the same time, physically the player on the green is away so I would have questioned myself on that one. But good to know for my clubs match play that just started

We always play "If you have to ask it is you".

I am trying to envision a scenario where this turns into an actual controversy. Maybe a friendly disagreement of sorts? I know what the rules are. But, we have always just had whoever is off the green go then everybody gets ready to putt.

Ready Golf. We'll ask and if the player who is further away isn't ready or says for us to finish up then we do.

Really doesn't make a difference to me.

In your case I would also say the player off the green is considered away.
Ditto for me as well

You are correct. However, there is no penalty in stroke play for playing out of order. In match play, you can make the opponent replay the shot. It's Rule "6.4 Order of Play When Playing Hole".

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h...#!ruletype=fr§ion=rule&rulenum=6&subrulenum=4

interesting. i always thought in stroke play you played until everyone was on the green. i didn't know the guy with the lengthy putt on the green is technically supposed to go before the guy with a short-sided bunker shot, chip, pitch, etc.

Back