Starting the backswing - arms/wrists or shoulders starting first?

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been experimenting with the start of the backswing. I have normally started with shoulders and let the hips, then left come in up to the top of the backswing. However, I have ran across an article that states to get into the proper plane, you should start with the arms/wrist for the first few inches, then the shoulders follow, then hips to the top of the backswing. Just wondering what others here have found for themselves.

I was testing this out this afternoon, while trying to keep a slightly closed face at A2. This really seemed to click with a consistent ball strike.

Thoughts?

To each their own, but I'm in the side that says you should lead with your shoulder turn and hips are moving in almost the same sequence until the club becomes almost parallel with the ground and then the wrist hinge up as the hips stop at the most coil in your swing.

I think that the arm and shoulders work together to start the backswing, but the first foot or two is all shoulders. I dont consciously hinge my wrists at any point in my backswing. If they do hinge, it happens naturally near the top but it isnt very much.

IMO, the backswing only exists to get in proper position for a solid move to the ball on the proper plane.

I have always been taught that the downswing starts with the lower half. From the ground up. I dunno.

To each their own, but I'm in the side that says you should lead with your shoulder turn and hips are moving in almost the same sequence until the club becomes almost parallel with the ground and then the wrist hinge up as the hips stop at the most coil in your swing.
This is how I try to do it!! Not always successful unfortunately!

I am terrible at golf, so my opinion means less than nothing. that said, I try to move the shoulders and hips pretty equally to start the back swing and have the arms follow along.

Hogan said hands > arm > shoulders.

I think most modern teaching advocates the exact opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was taught that shoulders, arms, hands all move together to start the swing. The wrist hinge begins when the hands are in front of the right/rear thigh. Limited pelvic rotation, with the shoulders turning further. Then start the downswing with the lower body with the arms falling into place and going along for the ride (while staying in front of the chest/body for the duration of the swing).

I am terrible at golf, so my opinion means less than nothing. that said, I try to move the shoulders and hips pretty equally to start the back swing and have the arms follow along.
You suck as far as your mind will let you. Your opinion matters as much as the next guy. Your advice is spot on as is everyone else's that I have read. Just be careful about the trailing arms. You want to keep those arms in front of your chest.

i like the idea of starting away from the ball with the big muscles, with the trunk turning and the hips only turning when they have to. i don't like the idea of the hips turning with the upper body. as far as starting by setting the wrist angle, i know that's a move that is taught, but i don't think it's taught because it's the right way to swing; rather, i think it's taught to correct a flaw.

I subscribe to the one-piece takeaway - arms/hands/shoulders moving as one. I had to think about it, but even the slight forward press I use to kick off my swing is all one piece. At least, that's what I feel. It's probably good for me, because I need to make sure my shoulders are slightly open at address. I'm concerned about the initiation to the extent that it affects my ability to get to a good position at halfway back (hands at 9 o'clock.)

I tend to bring the club inside too fast. To correct this I will practice by starting the body moving first then let the club and arms come last. Think of Kenny Perry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Starting with the Arms and wrist is a good mental Que. I find the simpler I can make it the better. Straight back and straight through. Good luck!

Thank you to everyone for the great insights on the takeaway. I think I found the groove for me (now have to get it ingrained in my muscles).... I like the one piece takeaway..... Starting with shoulders (slower on the left arm), and a slight wrist hinge smooth to A4 (right arm is more relaxed and just along for the ride). Key point on the downswing is moving the left hip away from the ball to start the downswing (Thanks Freddie!). Everything is working nice and straight and long... As long as I don't rush from A4 and keep the tempo smooth. Plan on taking to the course tomorrow. Thanks again everyone... This site has been awesome, and I only started up here less than a month. Love it!

Back