Bryson DeChambeau Cobra/Puma?

rozo22

Reaction score
Handicap
Curious if there has been any word on who he'll sign with this week when he turns pro? Thinking Cobra/Puma as I believe he plays the F6+ driver and was wearing puma gear at the Masters (at least on Saturday I believe). With his irons story being so unique, interested how any of the major OEM's would handle the sponsorship.

Curious if there has been any word on who he'll sign with this week when he turns pro? Thinking Cobra/Puma as I believe he plays the F6+ driver and was wearing puma gear at the Masters (at least on Saturday I believe). With his irons story being so unique, interested how any of the major OEM's would handle the sponsorship.

Pretty sure he will be signing with Cobra/Puma as he added their wedges in besides the driver/shoes/apparel. I don't think it will be too difficult for an OEM to build something for him, he knows exactly what he wants and seems to not care if there are less than pretty modifications made to get the exact specs he is looking for.

I don't think his iron set will be a problem, I would imagine with the same length shaft they would just skip a number or so and just bend the ones he picks to the exact loft he wants them. Any company could do that. I am thinking Cobra will go all out for him to get everything to his liking. Thanks for the link mr.hicksta.

I don't think his iron set will be a problem, I would imagine with the same length shaft they would just skip a number or so and just bend the ones he picks to the exact loft he wants them. Any company could do that. I am thinking Cobra will go all out for him to get everything to his liking. Thanks for the link mr.hicksta.

It is a bit more complex than getting length and loft right, he is very particular about his lie/ head weight and I am sure swing weight. His current set from Edel looks like a bunch of Frankensteins monsters, but I agree 100% that Cobra will get him fitted out to his liking.

Not sure he has to be 100% Cobra either...its all about what's in the contract right?

I'm sure TO, Yagley, and team are up to the task in either case.

I just hope they make his hats.

I feel like Puma flat caps might be the best idea in the history of the whole wide world.

I feel like Puma flat caps might be the best idea in the history of the whole wide world.

Ohh you are right! That would be sick

There is info in the thread on him and THP will have full reports on his signing announcements this week as there are more than one company.

Ditto!

There is info in the thread on him and THP will have full reports on his signing announcements this week as there are more than one company.

Can't wait for this info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot build a single length set of irons from standard weighted heads. They are too heavy in the 7i and down.

Cobra can certainly create a set of single length irons if they wish, but it's not as simple as hacking a standard set.

You cannot build a single length set of irons from standard weighted heads. They are too heavy in the 7i and down.

Cobra can certainly create a set of single length irons if they wish, but it's not as simple as hacking a standard set.

Cobra already has and Bryson has already put them into play. See above post #9.

The kid has the game it would appear, but does he have the pull in the market? Cobra/Puma seem like a great fit for him, that's for sure.

All sponsorship news (from all companies) is embargoed until 4pm EST Tuesday.
At that point, THP will have full info for everybody that wants it.

Cobra already has and Bryson has already put them into play. See above post #9.

Cobra hacked a standard set of irons into a single length set. This is not the same as a set designed specifically to be single length, which I suspect they will have to do to actually get the playing characteristics required.

It took several iterations to get the iMatch SL iron heads where they needed to be, and that could not have been reached with a standard set by grinding, drilling, and filling with tungsten.

Good lord a driver at a B-9 swing weight!?

Article reads a bit more in depth attention went into the irons than a "hacked together standard set". They will, most likely, design a specific iron to meet his specs but lets not pretend what Cobra did isn't the same thing that Bryson did to build his Edel's.

Article reads a bit more in depth attention went into the irons than a "hacked together standard set". They will, most likely, design a specific iron to meet his specs but lets not pretend what Cobra did isn't the same thing that Bryson did to build his Edel's.

I'm not going to argue wth you, and I am certainly not pretending anything, but as a club designer myself, I know the difference between what Edel produced in their single length heads, and what Cobra modified from their standard design.

Again, if Cobra wants to design a real set of single length irons, they are certainly capable of doing so.

What they did to their standard set is not going to allow them to play with the same characteristics that purpose designed iron heads would.

Good lord a driver at a B-9 swing weight!?

This is really not all that crazy.

The trend in the US toward lighter shafts, particularly with lengths shorter than 45", means that many people should actually ignore swingweight and play the proper flex and head combination...

Remember swingweight is not really a weight, it's simply a relationship.

You can be fitted for proper flex with a light shaft and have plenty of head feel in the swing with low swingweight.

Most Asian built drivers have a significantly lower swingweight than you would expect.

I'm not going to argue wth you, and I am certainly not pretending anything, but as a club designer myself, I know the difference between what Edel produced in their single length heads, and what Cobra modified from their standard design.

Again, if Cobra wants to design a real set of single length irons, they are certainly capable of doing so.

What they did to their standard set is not going to allow them to play with the same characteristics that purpose designed iron heads would.

I certainly wasn't trying to be argumentative and in re-reading the thread, don't feel as if I have been. I do disagree with your assertion that Cobra somehow haphazardly threw together a set for Bryson to play in the Georgia Cup. As an engineer myself, I have 22 years of working knowledge in how these decisions are made. Cobra has a solid reputation that they have spent a decade trying to recover. They simply aren't going to throw a "hacked together standard set" out there and jeopardize what they are trying to rebuild. All prototypes start somewhere. Bryson chose to play these prototypes in the Georgia Cup when he certainly didn't have to. It is far more likely this set will serve as a prototype for the engineers who have been working on this concept since shortly before Christmas, as Bryson has said himself. As far as playing characteristics of the irons, I agree, they will not play the same. But were they intended to?

My point is, Cobra engineers will work closely with Bryson to get him what he is looking for.

He's still rocking the Walker Cup staff bag with the Cobra strap he had at the Masters today:

He's still rocking the Walker Cup staff bag with the Cobra strap he had at the Masters today:

if the embargo on discussing it ends tomorrow at 4pm, i would assume that's when the announcement will be made and we'll see him decked out in whatever gear on wednesday.

if the embargo on discussing it ends tomorrow at 4pm, i would assume that's when the announcement will be made and we'll see him decked out in whatever gear on wednesday.

You are correct. Multiple announcements coming tomorrow and the PGA Tour has sort of dictated when the timing can take place.

Back