3D Printing/Waterjet/Milling

MoparMan

Reaction score
Handicap
15?
Electromechanical Design/implementation has been a hobby of mine for quite some time. I mean, who doesn’t think robots are awesome?

I found a line of work that allows me to do this on a full time basis with access to a full fabrication shop, 3D printers, water jets, cnc routers and mills. With that, it is never frowned upon to work on personal projects, simply because it’s seen as improving your abilities for future work projects (as long as productivity does not take a hit).

Anybody have any fun projects that require some additive or subtractive manufacturing?

Electromechanical Design/implementation has been a hobby of mine for quite some time. I mean, who doesn’t think robots are awesome?

I found a line of work that allows me to do this on a full time basis with access to a full fabrication shop, 3D printers, water jets, cnc routers and mills. With that, it is never frowned upon to work on personal projects, simply because it’s seen as improving your abilities for future work projects (as long as productivity does not take a hit).

Anybody have any fun projects that require some additive or subtractive manufacturing?

I worked in the water jet industry for a while and it's incredible to see the floors people can create with this technology.

Oh man, you've got my wheels turning. I love this stuff!

I'm up for a collaboration! I've got something in the works that will require a bit of prototyping. Shoot me a message.

I teach design classes at a technical high school. I've been following this technology for several years. We just got a new lab with $300,000 worth of equipment. 3D printers, robotic arms, cnc, laser engravers, etc. I've done some outsource work during the summers. Coolest things I've done include a putter design, and several new patent ideas.

I'm in the additive manufacturing world as well. I work for a company that specializes in 3D printed, rapid prototype castings to be specific. Its a crazy market to be in right now, that's for sure! If anyone is ever near Minneapolis feel free to get in touch and come in for a tour!

Link to an article about one of the projects i worked on with 3D systems, if anyone is interested!
https://www.foundrymag.com/moldscores/new-model-investment-casting

I would make my own putter for sure.

a80015b7cd188e72178b5629d1210e98.jpg

Quick ball marker on the baby mill.

a80015b7cd188e72178b5629d1210e98.jpg

Quick ball marker on the baby mill.

I lied about the putter, I would make ball markers. I love ball markers (kind of an addiction for me).

c7ece30c44f86386162ea5aa4da3be10.jpg
17dec8ffe23637ed753e2f6ff60e38a9.jpg

Round 2

47a11b61ca3057369a1db460317990d6.jpg

Starting putter #1

050b6a3c7e973a09a12a9f3de69e121e.jpg

Haven’t had a ton of mill time for the past few days. Face and bottom are mostly finished. Heres a pic of the bottom.

“Mars Attacks!” anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's so stinking cool. I cannot wait to see how this turns out. What kind of metal are you using?

Didn’t see the question before. This is just a chunk of aluminum, we have a desktop CNC mill in the office that doesn’t have enough torque to turn stainless, can’t even use anything over 1/8 for aluminum on the baby. It’ll be good for proof of concepts and making jigs when I have something I like.

Didn’t see the question before. This is just a chunk of aluminum, we have a desktop CNC mill in the office that doesn’t have enough torque to turn stainless, can’t even use anything over 1/8 for aluminum on the baby. It’ll be good for proof of concepts and making jigs when I have something I like.

How much lighter as a rough % is aluminum than stainless steel?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How much lighter as a rough % is aluminum than stainless steel?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Steel is like 2.5X denser. Weight analysis via CAD software puts this headshape at 295 grams. Little on the lighter side, but I can always drill/tap and add some weighted plugs to it.

My last job had me working with a FARO arm and doing lots of reverse engineering and sometimes mods to existing equipment. I used the software to design like 5 putter heads I always wanted to get milled, but that ish ain't cheap!! (no, I'm no engineer, just a geek that learned how to do cool stuff on a computer)

234223c0d621c309e560c0a1f8407b5f.jpg
45537cc024044fe4b55b1d56dbd56a7c.jpg
9950643a40f435a23c370697556d7739.jpg

Haven’t had a ton of time for this project in the past week or so. Still have some work to do, but here’s a quick update pic from here it’s at right now.

Back