Stress affects ones golf swing/game? And old saying..."you need a clear head to golf"

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Stress affects ones golf swing/game? And old saying..."you need a clear head to golf"

There is a saying (many may not have heard of....but it goes like this....."you need a clear head to play golf"

Its usually meant from people who just consider their life to full to every play such a "free time" demanding game.
Lets face it, golf does require disposable time. Or at least time away from life's obs and responsibilities not only in actual time but also time with a clear head or being able to be out there for a length of time without worries or concerns for whatever is going on in ones life. And so many people do feel they just don't have enough clear headed time and/or free time to be out on golf course on a regular basis.

And so this got me wondering for those of us who do avidly participate just how much of our poor played golf , inconsistent golf, or outright failure of many amateurs be to even just a bit better or anywhere near enough where they could be otherwise than they currently are. Is stress in ones life a cause for poorer golf?

I think it is. Many of us carry a lot of weight around on our shoulders. I mean we all have different degrees of stresses. Family , occupations, finances, responsibilities, etc.... is very different for us all. And we all handle it all very differently. Some people have a lot more than others. And whether more or less than the next person, we all handle it differently. Its just human nature as some people carry the same weights more heavily on their shoulders than others no to mention some have more weights to begin with.

Stress causes all kind of things both mentally and physically. One the thigs that stress does is that it leads to muscle tension. And tension in the body is bad for fluidness and tempo. And that leads to mechanical swing breakdowns.

And so I was thinking about this as I played one my better rounds this season today. I had just returned from a vacation and not swung a club for about 2 weeks. I hadn't felt so relaxed during a round in quite a long time and I was swinging fluidly and as a result of little to no stress and there was no tension and a better game of ball striking. My normally sore lower back was not at all any issue.

I feel stress can certainly be a cause of poorer play. I also feel it can be one reason why many amateurs struggle for consistency more than others. They may have more stress in their lives or may have similar stresses but carry them more heavily on their shoulders than others. And so (as I began the thread) they just don't have as much of a clearer head and in other words hold more the stresses within. Worry or concern a bit more about things and therefore are more tense.

And you cant just say to people …."well just let it all go" or things like " I come here to get away from life's stresses" because its simply not just that simple to do. Its how they are built. They may have more worries to begin with but also may simply worry about the same stresses more. Just the way it is.

This is all only my theory. But I do think it holds some truth. And may in fact be why many are not more consistent nor better at the game than they currently are. What say you?

I would agree with that. Last 3 years have been rough for my family. I got back into golf last year and thought it would help me relax and get away. Did just the opposite. For the first time I care about scores, my swing, etc. I actually feel better by not playing.

I've been accused of being a bit of an escapist. A daydreamer of sorts. I find distractions sometimes to alleviate or escape from stress. Golf is no different for me.

The best rounds or individual holes I've played have been played that way. Each individual shot is a singular fun challenge. I know I can hit the shot well, as most of the time I've hit that shot or one similar to it well enough before at some point. So as I walk to the ball, I envision all other thoughts literally falling away from me. Work, finance, to-do lists, the last bad shot I hit -- all of it falls away as I walk to the ball and set up. If I'm not able to get in this frame of mind about a third of the time I'm playing a round, then I've probably got too much on my mind to really enjoy playing that day. Almost never happens.

The challenge is to return to this headspace after hitting a few bad shots in succession. Usually the next tee box is a good place to recalibrate for me. I remind myself that I'm out here having fun and I get back to my great escape.

Playing with a little stress or anxiety need not be a bad thing. It's how you handle it that matters.

Playing with a clear mind is a completely different thing.
The ability to think outside of yourself and to be able to gather yourself when things aren't going as planned is a key to playing well.

We all handle the stresses of life differently. I’ve always been pretty relaxed and not much of a worrier. We’ve been fortunate to have just “normal” problems such as broken bones, a dozen surgeries for our family in the last 15 years, and some learning issues with my oldest. We haven’t had serious health or mental issues with of our immediate family members but like many have had cancer take loved ones, including my mom, way too soon. Money was a stress until about age 40 but I think that is normal and looking back, not that stressful as nearly all our friends were in the same boat. My main stress came from lack of time to get everything done raising three kids, working in corporate America, and having a wife that traveled for work 130 plus days each year. Interestingly, since retirement and lots of free time, my index is up a bit compared to where it was most of the last 20 years. Less stress, higher scores, lol.

Last edited:
Playing with a little stress or anxiety need not be a bad thing. It's how you handle it that matters.

Playing with a clear mind is a completely different thing.
The ability to think outside of yourself and to be able to gather yourself when things aren't going as planned is a key to playing well.

Yes sure, its the way one handles it and we are all (by nature) different. Some are natural worriers (or concerners) and carry the (sometimes the same) shoulder weights heavier. I am one of them. Unfinished businesses (of any kind) tend to sit on my shoulders a bit heavier. For whatever the reasons may be there are times when playing I feel subconsciously (without even knowing it) that you might feel you shouldn't even be out there. Even little things like right now for instance I cant find my gps golf watch charger. That is and will bother me till I find it. Im not saying that alone is a stress scale tipper nor if it will affect my next round but just that if not found is one more thing (even if very minor) on my shoulders.

Most peoples imo minds are constantly going in the background and often or always thinking both pleasant and unpleasant feelings and thoughts. I think we all live somewhere between two extremes of lighter and heavier shoulders. One extreme being the ability to be mostly free and clear in the way we deal with our lives and the other extreme of even needing mental help. All of us live somewhere in between those two places in how we cope. The average person lives somewhere in the middle and the more on the heavier weighted side we are , the more stress tension is in our body's and imo we may not even know its happening but that tension affects our muscles and ability to swing fluidly enough to maintain our better ball striking consistently enough. We all know Muscle tension in golf is bad. Loose and free is good.

My brother inlaw and I use to (when he lived near me) play together all the time. While out there he was always more relaxed than me. And even when outside of golf , he just simply had a much more relaxed mind than me. We were close and socialized very often (best friends if you will) and pretty much lead the same lives with family, finances , etc... And played and practiced golf about the same. But (not just golf but most anything) he was always more the relaxed easier going mind and me the bit more of the busier headed among us. Its no secret imo that he was always also more consistent than me as we played. Was always able to maintain a bit more easier going and more relaxed game while me I was always (and still am) a lot more feats/famine player.

I do think that some people are better at handling stress (Except for money stress. I've always been poor at that). I used to be one of those people. However, in the past couple of years dealing with cancer, family deaths, getting hit by a drunk driver, job layoffs, etc., it's been too much. Last year I came very close to having panic attacks on the course. The only reason I knew what was happening is because my wife and I are counselors. I think because other things were going so wrong, I wanted things to go right in golf. I'm working on it.

Last edited:
I do think that some people are better at handling stress (Except for money stress. I've always been poor at that). I used to be one of those people. However, in the past couple of years dealing with cancer, family deaths, getting hit by a drunk driver, job layofffs, etc., it's been too much. Last year I came very close to having panic attacks on the course. The only reason I knew what was happening is because my wife and I are counselors. I think because other things were going so wrong, I wanted things to go right in golf. I'm working on it.

certainly more serious issues are of great concern and worry for most people. But even just everyday normal and far less serious routines , obligations and responsibilities, simply weigh heavier on some peoples shoulders than others.

I've been accused of being a bit of an escapist. A daydreamer of sorts. I find distractions sometimes to alleviate or escape from stress. Golf is no different for me.

The best rounds or individual holes I've played have been played that way. Each individual shot is a singular fun challenge. I know I can hit the shot well, as most of the time I've hit that shot or one similar to it well enough before at some point. So as I walk to the ball, I envision all other thoughts literally falling away from me. Work, finance, to-do lists, the last bad shot I hit -- all of it falls away as I walk to the ball and set up. If I'm not able to get in this frame of mind about a third of the time I'm playing a round, then I've probably got too much on my mind to really enjoy playing that day. Almost never happens.

The challenge is to return to this headspace after hitting a few bad shots in succession. Usually the next tee box is a good place to recalibrate for me. I remind myself that I'm out here having fun and I get back to my great escape.

You have encapsulate my whole new way of thinking about the game!! I've done the same thing over the last two rounds. It's not the score, it's the shot.

Yes sure, its the way one handles it and we are all (by nature) different. Some are natural worriers (or concerners) and carry the (sometimes the same) shoulder weights heavier. I am one of them. Unfinished businesses (of any kind) tend to sit on my shoulders a bit heavier. For whatever the reasons may be there are times when playing I feel subconsciously (without even knowing it) that you might feel you shouldn't even be out there. Even little things like right now for instance I cant find my gps golf watch charger. That is and will bother me till I find it. Im not saying that alone is a stress scale tipper nor if it will affect my next round but just that if not found is one more thing (even if very minor) on my shoulders.

Most peoples imo minds are constantly going in the background and often or always thinking both pleasant and unpleasant feelings and thoughts. I think we all live somewhere between two extremes of lighter and heavier shoulders. One extreme being the ability to be mostly free and clear in the way we deal with our lives and the other extreme of even needing mental help. All of us live somewhere in between those two places in how we cope. The average person lives somewhere in the middle and the more on the heavier weighted side we are , the more stress tension is in our body's and imo we may not even know its happening but that tension affects our muscles and ability to swing fluidly enough to maintain our better ball striking consistently enough. We all know Muscle tension in golf is bad. Loose and free is good.

Very good points. I completely understand your position.

For me, golf has been a therapeutic experience at different stages in my life. The golf course has always been a place where I can take my mind off of things and unwind. And on some days it probably has played on my game but on those days a good score is not why I am on the course. The game takes over and the problems of the day recede to another part of my mind.

Deep thread but I'll offer a couple things since I don't really like to speak about my personal life to others...But here it goes.

2018 was a down year for me, 2 relationships went down the sh!tter and it hit me for a few months. Playing Golf was not fun, my mind was stuck on things that I could've done different, or said person(s) could've done different, along with a bunch of other things. I'd literally be at the tee box about to hit the ball and my mind was nowhere near Golf. It affected my play, my scores, my attitude, I was just down, but that's life, ups & downs.

I then took it upon myself to simply focus on....myself. I re-enrolled back in Broadcasting School last year, I re-connected with my mom, I admit I was a bit distant with her even though she wanted to hang out more often, I hang out with my nephews way more, I Golf with the older one a few times a month. I attend more family functions(birthdays, Easter, brunch, etc) I see my close friends more. I got back into the gym, hit the beach, made a couple of new friends, watch way less TV and listen to way more music. I have a social life again of going out and meeting girls and hopefully settle down at some point haha.

Golf is exciting because I had to change my lifestyle and life. I've been happily single for 9 months. I finished Broadcasting School. I've picked up some Media gigs. I begin at iHeart Media June 3rd on the Promotions Team. I've shot my PB of 73, in the last 2 months I've shaved 2 strokes off my handicap, I'm a single digit for the 1st time, I enjoy golf with anyone who wants to play as long as they're also cool.

So yeah even though Golf is a hobby. If Life gets in the way or problems occur it's tough to just say "I'll play Golf to think about something else." It's impossible, trust me on that.

But when you are happy with life or how life is opening up new doors then your other activities become way more fund and exciting...Including Golf!!

I met a girl last weekend and really hit it off with her. We hung out Saturday night thru Monday Morning...

I golfed with 3 friends Monday morning when she left and was in one of the most relaxed states I've ever been with Golf. I was just firing the golf club and smashing the golf ball. +4 thru 14 but ended up with an 80.

Even the 2 golf balls I sent in the water...I didn't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck. I'm happy.

Golf is exciting because I had to change my lifestyle and life. I've been happily single for 9 months. I finished Broadcasting School. I've picked up some Media gigs. I begin at iHeart Media June 3rd on the Promotions Team. I've shot my PB of 73, in the last 2 months I've shaved 2 strokes off my handicap, I'm a single digit for the 1st time, I enjoy golf with anyone who wants to play as long as they're also cool.

That is awesomeness right there ...

Up until a couple of years ago, I felt like I was able to deal with stress quite well and golf was my escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life - I was able to switch off when I left work and forget about it until I went back in the next day

However, this all changed just over 18 months ago when my dad was diagnosed with cancer and it hit me hard and I went through a period of time where nothing seemed to help, to the point that I had a bit of a breakdown and needed time off work to deal with it. At that point, even golf became a struggle as I wasn't enjoying it and couldn't concentrate on hitting shots, I even walked off after 5 holes once with Jen because I wasn't enjoying being out there

After the death of my dad, I struggled for a little while but then started thinking about him whilst playing (he used to play when I was younger) and wanting to do him proud out on the course and started enjoying it again, to the point that I had one of my best years last year in terms of scoring

So, for me, stress can affect my swing, but it has to be a lot of stress to stop me from enjoying golf these days

Just to note I didnt really mean for this thread to be about the real serious life issues and stresses in peoples lives. That said its certainly ok to share the more serious issues and i appreciate the sharing so I am not suggesting no one do it. Golf for most all of us in the end is just a recreation and after all said and done is really not important vs most the things in our lives especially serious matters. I too have had and currently have more serious situation in my family too.

But I was just really getting at our daily and not so out of the norm everyday stresses. Our jobs, homes, obligations and responsibilities. Without the more serious issue/s we can often face we all also deal with even just the normal everyday stuff very differently. It weighs differently on our shoulders. hence the expression 'you need to clear head to golf". That doesn't just pertain to the more serious stuff but also pertains to how we generally go about our daily lives even without those more serious issues. As said before, I think we all carry the weights (even smaller ones) differently. Some people are just naturally easier going and relaxed in their heads while others with the very similar stresses are not as relaxed carrying them. And so my theory is the one person has less muscle tension while the other more tension. And imo it can relate to how consistent or inconsistent they might play golf.

I just got back from vacation. Played golf the nesxt day and my best round of the season. however yesterday my back to reality stresses causing my lower back muscles to tighten and sore, my restless legs acting up, didnt sleep as well, an ongoing minor issue with an eye turing pink (not pink eye but something else), etc, etc,...all these things were gone completely for past 10 days but back now settling to the grind and life reality stresses and after just 48 hrs they all came back. lol but not really funny. and so one round was played (my best of the season) very relaxed while the next with more tension and hence back to the inconsistency.

I learned long ago that the daily stresses are just little things and I’m damn good at not letting them bother me. Now that I’m not working, I often shut off my phone during my rounds unless it’s one of those rare occasions where I’m expecting a phone call. People are way to attached to their smartphones often to the point of it not being healthy. Checking your smartphone several times during a round is certainly not conducive to focus and playing your best golf.

Unfortunately it often takes a death or serious illness to make us focus and appreciate what is really important in life and ignore all the little stuff. As the saying goes, it’s all little stuff.

The stress of focusing on golf is an enjoyable stress. It’s probably not accurate to call golfing a type of stress. Maybe more like a distraction. Whatever it is, it replaces all the other bad stress in my head when I’m on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It is statistically proven, based upon my own memory, that I play better on weekends, when I'm not working, than rounds played after a day at work.

~Rock

Stress should play a factor - I've lost count of the balls I've lost at my local club, because I've not been able to keep my calm. Distraction is real.

Also wanted to add, it really depends. Sometimes you're so tired it makes you anxious and nervous. What helps me the best - is to concentrate on my breathing and focus on my technique.

Last edited:
I don't feel any stress on course. Just being on course clears my head and relives stress. I might feel a bit anxious and the start of tournaments but that has nothing to do with off course issues.

I never have much stress in life even when I should be. I am good at blocking out life stress, maybe too good.

I played terribly when i was stressed with work, having to be places, rushing around here there and everywhere. Although golf is a time and place to switch all that off it takes practice to do so.

Back