UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Prototype

I have to say that this combination combinesthe feel of a very soft forged wedge with the feel of a very soft graphite recoil shaft.

I don't often hit full wedge shots, but I felt I was able to do so without loading the shaft to much and as a result felt like my disputation was incredibly tight.

https://vimeo.com/160470304

I actually bounced this shot into the 75 yd sign!!!

https://vimeo.com/160470446

Thanks to my wife for helping me film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a Recoil 95 in my 50* rtx as I soft stepped a set of f4's and had the PW shaft to use. I love the softer feel in my wedge especially on half shots or small chips around the green. Now that they make specific wedge shafts they will be a target when I redo my wedges this year. Thanks Nate for bringing this info to my attention.

Great videos evinkc05 these wedge shafts intrigue me a lot

I put a Recoil 95 in my 50* rtx as I soft stepped a set of f4's and had the PW shaft to use. I love the softer feel in my wedge especially on half shots or small chips around the green. Now that they make specific wedge shafts they will be a target when I redo my wedges this year. Thanks Nate for bringing this info to my attention.

You nailed it. It's soft and it's great! Less vibration which translates into better feel around the greens and on full wedge shots. The touch just feels easier to pull off. Great stuff. I always had a feeling this shaft would be perfect for me in a wedge. Has not disappointed yet. Almost like it was ment to be all along.

Great feedback Kevin!

Keep telling us more, Nate.

Looks like they are ready for the consumer!

Another couple of rounds in the books over the weekend and I really like these shafts for more than one reason. The feel is incredible. The feedback I get after each shot is automatic. I can get a sense at where the ball is going before I even look up to see the ball. Some good, some not so good but I know right away.

Around the greens these have been $$$$ esp. on the 40-50 yard chips/pitches. Less vibration which just makes for a better feeling shot. Confidence is everything.

Last, the height on full shots. I'm getting the ball a little bit higher up with these shafts but the spin numbers are less which equals a non ballooning but very soft landing ball onto the greens. No issues in flighting the ball down when I need to.

These are staying in my 2.0's for a good while.

Can you talk about shaft weight, especially with an eye toward the transition from irons to wedges? Before the protos you had the 125(?)g stock shafts in the RTXs, right? How much do/did your iron shafts weigh? IIRC these protos weigh close to 125g also.

Can you talk about shaft weight, especially with an eye toward the transition from irons to wedges? Before the protos you had the 125(?)g stock shafts in the RTXs, right? How much do/did your iron shafts weigh? IIRC these protos weigh close to 125g also.

I'm trying to remember what Danny said they weighed before install. I had the KBS Tours S which I believe were in the 120g weight class. If I remember right these were about the same but maybe Kevin can come in and remind me again! He did add a little weight to each wedge shaft because the Cleveland heads were a little bit lighter than other wedge heads. He wanted to make the balance point about the same as what I had before.

Good stuff Nate, and those are some good videos evinkc05! Keep up the good work fellas!

I'm trying to remember what Danny said they weighed before install. I had the KBS Tours S which I believe were in the 120g weight class. If I remember right these were about the same but maybe Kevin can come in and remind me again! He did add a little weight to each wedge shaft because the Cleveland heads were a little bit lighter than other wedge heads. He wanted to make the balance point about the same as what I had before.

For some reason I want to say I remember him saying that the wedge protos were 128g... Why is that number stuck in my head. I'll confirm.

I looked on their site and it shows ONLY DSG as a retailer in my area, which I highly doubt as accurate. And Golfworks doesn't have them up yet.

I looked on their site and it shows ONLY DSG as a retailer in my area, which I highly doubt as accurate. And Golfworks doesn't have them up yet.

They do have an Ask a Question form on their site I bet you could submit to confirm. Also, they are active on Twitter which might work to get some info.

IIRC the Recoils (which are now in your irons) are @80g. Do you have any issues with a @40g difference between the two (iron vs wedge)? I'm trying to wrap my head around playing with that much of a difference vs having regular Recoils in our wedges.

They are 128g...

https://twitter.com/ustmamiya/status/717375807815979008

IIRC the Recoils (which are now in your irons) are @80g. Do you have any issues with a @40g difference between the two (iron vs wedge)? I'm trying to wrap my head around playing with that much of a difference vs having regular Recoils in our wedges.

I'm a little confused where you got 80g weight from me? I'm playing the 125's so they are just slightly heavier than the KBS Tours I had in there before.

I'm a little confused where you got 80g weight from me? I'm playing the 125's so they are just slightly heavier than the KBS Tours I had in there before.
My mistake, I thought you had the 680's. Never mind.

You nailed it. It's soft and it's great! Less vibration which translates into better feel around the greens and on full wedge shots. The touch just feels easier to pull off. Great stuff. I always had a feeling this shaft would be perfect for me in a wedge. Has not disappointed yet. Almost like it was ment to be all along.

Great feedback Kevin!

Interesting, so with the softer shaft you haven't seen any reduction in accuracy???

Interesting, so with the softer shaft you haven't seen any reduction in accuracy???

On full wedge shots, no noticeable difference at all. But interesting enough I'm finding that my pitches and chips around the greens are going past the hole more now than before. I feel like I'm putting the same swing on them but maybe I've just been making better contact on the face now?!

Good thought Nate, was really curious how these would perform. Definitely all for more feel on those non full swing shots within 50 yards and reduced vibration is always welcoming.

Good thought Nate, was really curious how these would perform. Definitely all for more feel on those non full swing shots within 50 yards and reduced vibration is always welcoming.

Really just something you have to see with your own eyes and hands and experience it! Oh wait, you get to do that in just a few weeks!! :D

Got out on the course today and was able to put some more shots through these shafts... One thing that I've noticed is that my abbreviated shots meaning say 75yds or less seem to go further than I would have thought.

This being said, it worked out great for me because I adjusted and started being able to essentially call my shots into the greens!

Back