The Home Renovation Thread

The beauty of those things is you know going up you're in control of plumb, level and square. Where in renovations your stuck with someone else's mess.

Lots of unforeseen conditions that effect the schedule and budget as well.

I can't wait to get on a new construction project.

Needs turrets, defensive positions, trebuchets and of course a moat! :badass:

I had a similar (BUT WAYYYYYY SMALLER like 2 feet high lol ) retaining wall recently, same drain tile/gravel/weeper tube system (but also fabric) behind the wall and some weeper tubes out and under it to dump the water.

trebuchets are more for siege warfare but whatever, they are cool

Well deck demolishing began tonight. Tomorrow I finish cleanup and Sunday the new one will get built. Super fortunate to get rid of it when we did, supports and deck boards were completely rotten.
ea075437c62101bc36886ff4e6198b11.jpg

8e628ceddcb5c3e3a3e295a921176aa6.jpg

d96b0189ca88c1fb5b1d378c6eb774af.jpg

Pulled out and replaced some wood that was going bad on my porch. Basically the points most exposed to weather. Then I painted entire front porch (banisters, railings, soffit, ceiling over the decking, etc). Problem is, I don't have a ladder that reaches all the way to the peak of my roof so the soffit painting doesn't go up all the way. Do I leave it painted halfway up, and hope a potential buyer doesn't notice it, or grab a longer ladder? Bah.

Rain has put a damper on progress. Still another week or so to go and LOTS still to be done but the enormous deck is gone and things are progressing:

5330e4ce5f7d3f5f2cf92c5eec806bd6.jpg

0223530d28ac9674b0498154b23bd0fd.jpg

Really need to figure out this paver thing in the back yard. When I get back from Texas, it has to happen.

Alright, everything is taped out, now it is finally time to paint the parlor. It has been a long process of mudding over the dilapidated plaster walls, but the payoff should be worth it. Here is a before pic.
6c0e0ab3447fbf617d8cc79d680984c2.jpg

Also, the medallion will not be navy blue, we may need time to figure that out

Really need to figure out this paver thing in the back yard. When I get back from Texas, it has to happen.

Apparently (according to my wife) I might be doing the same thing pretty soon! I even have a VERY large pile of sand by my garage now, how fun! My list continues to grow!

400663de7d57903fb39f514617fe7e22.jpg

Glad to see the redwood coming around to the court yard. Such a beautiful wood.

Looks Kevin!

The wife and I sat down last night and talked about moving or fixing our current house.

Our house isn't that old, but I want to upgrade some things to make it feel like a "home" and personal. It's funny how that list gets long quick!

Kevin, that is beautiful. Wow.
It's labor intensive but it really does look good. Great for the portfolio. Not that I'll be needing that for to much longer.

Looks Kevin!

The wife and I sat down last night and talked about moving or fixing our current house.

Our house isn't that old, but I want to upgrade some things to make it feel like a "home" and personal. It's funny how that list gets long quick!
House versus home feeling is real my man! It's why we are pushing so hard for the one we are looking to buy, it had that home feeling from the start. Its hard to explain, but its a very real thing.
It's labor intensive but it really does look good. Great for the portfolio. Not that I'll be needing that for to much longer.
I'll demand it when I make you fly out here and help me with the man-made golf compound in the back yard. I WANT THE PORTFOLIO!

Looks Kevin!

I can help bro. Reach out if you have questions. Maybe I need a site visit hahaha

That's great! I wish I was able to use more exotic woods down here. The only time I get to use anything outside of pine is with outdoor Pergola areas where I get to use Cyprus or remodels for older homes where the closets are lined with Cedar.

House versus home feeling is real my man! It's why we are pushing so hard for the one we are looking to buy, it had that home feeling from the start. Its hard to explain, but its a very real thing.

I'll demand it when I make you fly out here and help me with the man-made golf compound in the back yard. I WANT THE PORTFOLIO!

Post and beam testing and review studio sounds fun.

Post and beam testing and review studio sounds fun.
Yes! Funny part is, it actually has an out building on it with full plumbing hookups ready to go, and enough room on the sides to have a vaulted expansion on one to hang nets in, and a full turf putting green on the other.

And I got approval if I wait a year. It's a win.

Just have to get the dang thing closed!

Glad I found this thread, we close on our home in 52 days and my "honey-do" list has quite the running start already!! Replace walkway in front, fix patio in back, new floors downstairs, painting, new kitchen with island, landscaping....

Glad I found this thread, we close on our home in 52 days and my "honey-do" list has quite the running start already!! Replace walkway in front, fix patio in back, new floors downstairs, painting, new kitchen with island, landscaping....

Oh the joys of being a home owner! Enjoy it brother

Oh the joys of being a home owner! Enjoy it brother

Thanks! It should be fun and I'm big on pride of ownership so I like projects that make the place look nice.

Couldn't find a thread exactly on point, so figured I would post it here. Relating to landscaping, has anyone here used hydroseed to grow new grass? We just cleared out our entire backyard down to bare dirt and are trying to decide between just grass seed and hydroseed.

Hydro seed is ok, I've used it on projects with steep grades.but I've found it to be full of a lot of weed and trash grass. And I don't recommend it if you are seeding a very defined area. The over spray can get a little out of hand if the technician is substandard.

Hydro seed is ok, I've used it on projects with steep grades.but I've found it to be full of a lot of weed and trash grass. And I don't recommend it if you are seeding a very defined area. The over spray can get a little out of hand if the technician is substandard.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Couldn't find a thread exactly on point, so figured I would post it here. Relating to landscaping, has anyone here used hydroseed to grow new grass? We just cleared out our entire backyard down to bare dirt and are trying to decide between just grass seed and hydroseed.

How big is your backyard and do you have enough sprinkler coverage to do it all at once?

Back