Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just go to the range at my local muni course, so no ProTracer available, but that sounds sweet. I may have to check some of the more expensive courses to see if any of them have it on their ranges.
IMO (from experience) work on your distances on the course, with the ball you consistently play. It'll take a bit to get a decent sample size, but worth it. In the meantime, go with the club you think is that distance, then club up.

IMO (from experience) work on your distances on the course, with the ball you consistently play. It'll take a bit to get a decent sample size, but worth it. In the meantime, go with the club you think is that distance, then club up.
"Take one more club than you think you need."
That is a Johnny Millerism that made a lot of sense when I first heard it.

Another lousy round for me today. I shot a 107 on a par 66 course. Nothing was really working for me. I hit a great drive on #1, but that was the only decent one of the day. I had three pars (all on par 3s), but four 8s. I felt like I was putting better than usual, but still ended up with 41 putts. I'm gonna have to break down and get some more lessons.

Another lousy round for me today. I shot a 107 on a par 66 course. Nothing was really working for me. I hit a great drive on #1, but that was the only decent one of the day. I had three pars (all on par 3s), but four 8s. I felt like I was putting better than usual, but still ended up with 41 putts. I'm gonna have to break down and get some more lessons.
Hey. Check out my response to you in the "What did you score" thread.

May not feel like it, but 3 pars is pretty dang good. Congrats on that! Small victories...take them wherever you find them!

Ok, here's a fun question: do you move your grip up or down on the depending on how you are playing that day?

I normally choke up on the club, but have found that, depending on the swing that day, I might need to grip more toward the butt to make solid contact. Just an oddity I was pondering.

I tend to choke down even on the driver ... I hit a shorter club better ... a mental thing I am sure.

Do you move the "choke down" point during a round?

Hey. Check out my response to you in the "What did you score" thread.

Just saw it. I'm looking to get some a short game lesson or two in the coming weeks. I really need some guidance with putting. I'm just absolutely terrible. Today was probably better than usual, and I had three 3 putts and a 4 putt.

Chipping and pitching are similarly horrible. It's seems that my first putt is always from the far reaches of the green, no matter how far away my previous shot was.

Trying to Break 100

I have ... especially back in the day when I had a horrible slice ...

Last edited:
Ok, here's a fun question: do you move your grip up or down on the depending on how you are playing that day?

I normally choke up on the club, but have found that, depending on the swing that day, I might need to grip more toward the butt to make solid contact. Just an oddity I was pondering.

I don't normally change my hand position unless I'm trying to do something specific, like take distance off of a club. If I'm having trouble making contact I will change how I approach my shots, and typically start swinging a little slower, trying to ensure I get good contact.

On full swings, I always grip down about an inch. It worked for Anthony Kim, I figured it'd work for me.

I will also choke down a fair amount if I'm inside 85 yards. If I'm say 70 yards away from the green, I'll choke down a couple more inches so I can take a full swing with my GW.

Well I finally got back out on the course after my little ordeal. The first time out I had the feeling like everything was spinning around and people were moving so fast. I bailed after nine holes and took a little breather in the parking lot before driving home. After a few hours I went back out and did another 9 holes. Both were in the cart and the weather was mid fifties. I came away with back to back 51's to beat the weather's score. :clapp:

The next couple of days had me shooting scores of 50, 51, 35, and 49. The 35 was walking and as I was teeing off on hole #7 the skies opened up. I tripled that hole and made a bee line to the parking lot. The next holes were a par 4 and 5 so I wasn't doing too bad.

Earlier today I took the cart out and it was damn cold and windy. It was 35 degrees out when I tee'd off and it only got 3 degrees warmer when I finished. The wind never let up. It was two glove day and it felt weird wearing one on my right hand. Finished up with a 49 with some horrible shanks when around the greens. That also includes 3 shots out of the sand on a par 3. I tried too get a little more body turn on my driving and it was mixed results. The short game is killing me the most right now. I only skulled one but it ran on too the green. Those 45 degree off to the right shots from the rough are just plain hole wreckers.

The weather looks even worse the next few days so any golf will be 9 holes only or staying put on the practice green until it warms up. I have to get these shank/yips out of the system. I can live with a fat or top here or there and recover. Those other shots just balloon the scores up too fast when you are only 40 yards away from the stinking pin. They are not hosel rockets but something else when in the rough. I don't know if I'm not gripping the club enough and it gets spun open in the higher grass. It looks ugly and really pushes the buttons.

Won't be playing outside this weekend. Sim round only.
SRX, personally, I found that choking down on my wedges gave me a lot more control. Maybe give that a shot?

Won't be playing outside this weekend. Sim round only.
SRX, personally, I found that choking down on my wedges gave me a lot more control. Maybe give that a shot?

I do choke down on the wedges when I'm real close to the green. Maybe I'll try it a little farther out (25 to 50 yards). I can't see it hurting anything right now. There is snow on the ground so it will be watching the Masters. From the looks of it, they have their problems too.

SRX, I choke down to the end of the grip on my sand wedge, (I use it for everything from 50 yards and in), and found that just using a half swing with a good wrist set is enough to get it to the green.

Played yesterday with a work team mate and clients.

Used power carts. Were not told we could not bring the carts on the course and this is a wide track.

Ended up walking 19000 steps. Running many of them to keep the marshall off our tail.

6600 yards

Manaaged to shoot 100.

Lost a ball after, for me, a good 3 wood second shot-disappeared over a hump in the middle of the fairway. Next shot went in a water hazard. Lost a few strokes due to erratic putting.

Between the unnecessary running and marshall harassment, felt good with the day.

Nice round uitar!!!

It just takes patience and practice. I know how you fill about lessons. But I took my first lesson in 25 years and they figured out my problem in 2 minutes. The golf pros/teachers really know their stuff. It may be worth another try. Good Luck!

Played yesterday with a work team mate and clients.

Used power carts. Were not told we could not bring the carts on the course and this is a wide track.

Ended up walking 19000 steps. Running many of them to keep the marshall off our tail.

6600 yards

Manaaged to shoot 100.

Lost a ball after, for me, a good 3 wood second shot-disappeared over a hump in the middle of the fairway. Next shot went in a water hazard. Lost a few strokes due to erratic putting.

Between the unnecessary running and marshall harassment, felt good with the day.
No power carts? that's odd. Was it super wet? You figure they could just ask you to keep them on the path.

No power carts? that's odd. Was it super wet? You figure they could just ask you to keep them on the path.
Sounds like it was cart path only but the course didn't have paved paths the entire time so they basically had to keep them basically off the course so like 40 yards off every fairway. That is how I read the post at least.

I got 9 holes in before going on night shift. Managed to get a 45 and that was with some atrocious putting. If I'm 6 feet or closer, I'm looking at two putts. We are talking 4 putts from 33 feet on a par 3 kind of day. It is so frustrating running them up so close from so far away then blowing a hole out. The wedge play around the greens has been shored up and I'm knocking them close to the hole. With the way I'm putting, I'll need to get them 2 or 3 feet closer.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/821934

Finally got 18 holes in. It has been awhile since I seen the back nine. The putting issues were still my biggest downfall with missing 3 to 6 footers. Some are tricky little side hill or downhill putts but I should be making them. I still get an occasional fat shot or top here and there but seem to recover and play bogey golf. The best shot of the round was a punch out with a 5 iron from under a canopy of trees. The window was small and the target was 131 yards away but I hit it low and solid. Down the hill it went and just missed the sand bunker protecting the green. It finally skidded to a stop 9 feet from the hole and by golly I nailed that putt dead center for a par. After the dust settled, I came away with a 91 and I left a lot of shots out there. I'll get a few more rounds in before heading back to the hospital for a procedure then it will be game on for a weeks vacation. I might have to find another course to play on because I picked a bad week because they will be aerating. That bummed me out!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/822903

Got in 18 today at Wind Rose in the north Houston area. Good course. Hit some great shots and actually chipped in off the green! First time I ever did that. Was playing pretty decent and got to 14 and made a good save and then I did it. I said "feeling good, really going to go no snowman on this round." that did it! two snowmen and two sevens promptly appeared on my card. yuck.

shot 112. not bad for a course I've never played before. some good things today - and I felt good to get the score I got.

Got in 18 today at Wind Rose in the north Houston area. Good course. Hit some great shots and actually chipped in off the green! First time I ever did that. Was playing pretty decent and got to 14 and made a good save and then I did it. I said "feeling good, really going to go no snowman on this round." that did it! two snowmen and two sevens promptly appeared on my card. yuck.

shot 112. not bad for a course I've never played before. some good things today - and I felt good to get the score I got.
Now, you knew that was going to happen as soon as you said it. LOL.

Nice chip in, I forgot to mention. Was it long enough of a roll for you to stare at it and say "Go in!" a few times?

Last edited:
I got 9 holes in before going on night shift. Managed to get a 45 and that was with some atrocious putting. If I'm 6 feet or closer, I'm looking at two putts. We are talking 4 putts from 33 feet on a par 3 kind of day. It is so frustrating running them up so close from so far away then blowing a hole out. The wedge play around the greens has been shored up and I'm knocking them close to the hole. With the way I'm putting, I'll need to get them 2 or 3 feet closer.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/821934

Finally got 18 holes in. It has been awhile since I seen the back nine. The putting issues were still my biggest downfall with missing 3 to 6 footers. Some are tricky little side hill or downhill putts but I should be making them. I still get an occasional fat shot or top here and there but seem to recover and play bogey golf. The best shot of the round was a punch out with a 5 iron from under a canopy of trees. The window was small and the target was 131 yards away but I hit it low and solid. Down the hill it went and just missed the sand bunker protecting the green. It finally skidded to a stop 9 feet from the hole and by golly I nailed that putt dead center for a par. After the dust settled, I came away with a 91 and I left a lot of shots out there. I'll get a few more rounds in before heading back to the hospital for a procedure then it will be game on for a weeks vacation. I might have to find another course to play on because I picked a bad week because they will be aerating. That bummed me out!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/srx700xxx/round/822903

Obviously, the putter is to blame. I say time to buy yourself something new and shiny. Or, at least, have someone look to see if you are playing the right putter for your swing. For example, I play a small mallet much better than a blade. The blade style just doesn't match my eye for alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back