Tiger Woods And The First Composite Ball On Tour?

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Pretty interesting bit of history. Thanks for sharing.

It’s a story I’d heard before, but it’s still cool as hell and well done here.

Crazy to think about the opportunity lost by Nike there.

Funnier still that all those who said we were crazy for saying Tigers golf balls were made by Bridgestone were crazy....

I read this the other day and really enjoyed it. It’s crazy to see the lengths Nike went for testing and how close TW came to running out at Pebble.

Also a small takeaway is Rock and his legacy in the golf ball industry is often overlooked.

I had completely forgotten about the Strata. What Top-Flight could have been if it had a more engaging player than O’Meara?

Things I wasn't aware of. Really cool read. Such a missed opportunity by Nike.

Very interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Read this yesterday. It was a fascinating read. Be willing to bet Nike might still be around in the hard goods business if they had jumped in sooner.

not the first (the article explains) but really the original ball that changed the ball

very interesting how ProV1 might have never been a thing if not for some unfortunate timing

It’s a story I’d heard before, but it’s still cool as hell and well done here.

Crazy to think about the opportunity lost by Nike there.

Funnier still that all those who said we were crazy for saying Tigers golf balls were made by Bridgestone were crazy....

The more I read about Tiger the more I understand that he is to golf as Beethoven was to music, just a virtuoso who is so finely tuned that he can really give you more info than a computer because with a computer you just get the data, but with a human you get detailed communication.

That said what's really crazy is that Nike has paid this guy hundreds of millions of $'s and they didn't use this reservoir of knowledge to build the best equipment business in the game. They used Jordan to build a shoe and apparal empire because he was so tuned into not only basketball, but also to athletic and urban style. Tiger has never been that stylish (he's still rocking baggy slacks and mock turtle necks for Pete's sake) so trying to use him to sell shoes and apparel was really limiting the returns of their investment in him when they had a man that could deliver this level of intelligence about equipment and ball performance.

SUCH a good read!!!!!

Really good read, but now makes me want to learn more about the PGA's rules about golf balls.

I am sure there were some hurdles in that too, but would have muddied the article.

Interesting, thanks!

It's nuts the lengths companies go to to make sure Tiger get's what he wants. It makes sense but it's amazing that one person has that much pull with such a big company.

I remember when that ball came out and wouldn't play anything else for quite awhile. There's no chance I was good enough for it but I was playing the same ball as Tiger!

It's nuts the lengths companies go to to make sure Tiger get's what he wants. It makes sense but it's amazing that one person has that much pull with such a big company.

I remember when that ball came out and wouldn't play anything else for quite awhile. There's no chance I was good enough for it but I was playing the same ball as Tiger!

That Masters at the end of that run when the ball set on the edge of the cup, Swoosh shining to the world on CBS before dropping in the hole was the best thing that ever happened to Nike Golf.

That Masters at the end of that run when the ball set on the edge of the cup, Swoosh shining to the world on CBS before dropping in the hole was the best thing that ever happened to Nike Golf.

It's kind of amazing that Nike didn't make it with Tiger, and later Rory, on staff giving that equipment so much airtime.

good lord, 10 mph of ball speed gains.

What could have been...talk about bad timing/missed opportunity

Really enjoyed that! Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What a good read, and an interesting piece of history! Thanks for sharing!

Back