Favorite visual design of a putter

MichiganGripRip

Allegedly
Reaction score
Handicap
For a little Friday putter pr0n, imagine you were curating photos for a putter coffee table book. What design has always spoke to you? For me it's the Studio Design #3.
The sleek lines, simple dot alignment. It just looks clean.
51378987fac1988c61991bbd7e1875df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To me an "8802" style heel shafted putter is what a putter should look like. No markings, just that curvy L-shaped blade.

Unfortunately I can't putt a lick with any heel-shafted blade. But they still look the best to me, by far. I had to quit keeping an 8802 around the house because I was too tempted to stick it in the bag!

the smaller #7 headshape from odyssey, and really any shorter wider blade.

To me an "8802" style heel shafted putter is what a putter should look like. No markings, just that curvy L-shaped blade.

For me, this is it. Even though I'm rocking a Newport 2 and doing quite well with it. The 8802 will always be the visual in my head when anyone says the word 'putter'.

I really like mallets with a single long alignment line!

For me, this is it. Even though I'm rocking a Newport 2 and doing quite well with it. The 8802 will always be the visual in my head when anyone says the word 'putter'.

My first exposure to golf was in the early 1990's. There were still quite a few 8802-like putters around back then. You'd see 'em on Tour, guys I'd get paired up with would have them. I think it was my first trip into a golf store to buy clubs, I just naturally gravitated toward them (although I quickly found out an "Anser" style worked far better).

Same with irons. That first few weeks I had gotten paired with a couple guys using Titleist DCI's. And there was a set of them for sale in the pro shop of the little public course I learned to play on. So to this day, anything that's at least vaguely like a Titleist DCI (which covers a *lot* or irons of course!) looks like a real golf club to me.

Come to think of it, I believe the coworker who took me out the first few times to show me how to play had an 8802 putter. But he had Nickalus signature Macgregor blades. Didn't take long for me to figure out there were lots of irons that stung my hands a lot less than those butter knives with the X-flex shafts!

Good times. That first summer was an adventure.

I’ve always liked the look of a blade putter.

My grandfather had an older putter that has since disappeared (I’d give anything to find/have that putter) that was very similar to the 8802. That was what made me fall in love with putters and take the time to find one that was right for me.

Even though I have started playing a mallet, a blade style will always be near and dear to my heart.

I've always had a soft spot for the DH89 mini. Don't think I'd ever be able to invest that kind of money in a putter. But damn, a classic design in a small package.

61aa6debf9fb39e8b622ee51a34e8891.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for the DH89 mini. Don't think I'd ever be able to invest that kind of money in a putter. But damn, a classic design in a small package.

61aa6debf9fb39e8b622ee51a34e8891.jpg

Such a tiny sweet spot!

Back