Stripped threads on driver shaft adapter

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
This is a first for me. Yesterday as I was warming up on the range, my driver head came loose. It happened at the end of my last round too. However, this time, when I screwed it back, it was clear that it was not threading.

When I looked into the shaft adapter, the threads were gone.
a12135cc9442bec6623b20ce4adf5175.jpg

I’ve noticed over the last couple of months a sound like something was loose but could never pinpoint it. I assumed it was epoxy rattling around.

Also I’ve never had an issue putting the head back on like the threads were crossed so I’m fairly certain they weren’t damaged from crossed threads. The only thing I can think of is years of hitting driver sheared the threads right off. This adapter was also on two previous shafts.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you use to put the head back on, an impact wrench?

Never seen such a thing.

What do you use to put the head back on, an impact wrench?

Never seen such a thing.

The standard Callaway wrench that comes with all the drivers.

I'm seeing more and more issues with the manufacture wrenches. not with breaking clubs or stripping tips, although my wife's G30 now has a crack in the hosel, but because they don't maintain their torque value. possibly leading to issues.

The standard Callaway wrench that comes with all the drivers.

Do you have exceptionally large and strong arms?

Do you have exceptionally large and strong arms?

Haha. Of course I do. But that shouldn’t matter since the torque is set on the wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just fatigue. The threads on the adapter are likely aluminum for weight savings. I’d say it’s given you pretty good service

Probably just fatigue. The threads on the adapter are likely aluminum for weight savings. I’d say it’s given you pretty good service

No doubt. It’s an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing more and more issues with the manufacture wrenches. not with breaking clubs or stripping tips, although my wife's G30 now has a crack in the hosel.....
Thats not due to the wrench, thats the head. I had the same thing happen to a G30. Ping replaced it.

Thats not due to the wrench, thats the head. I had the same thing happen to a G30. Ping replaced it.

Yup in the case of the G30 I agree, just mentioned it because I couldn’t get a straight answer from Ping on the cause. Also in my case Ping told me they could only offer a discount on a G400, otherwise tough luck no replacement.

Yup in the case of the G30 I agree, just mentioned it because I couldn’t get a straight answer from Ping on the cause. Also in my case Ping told me they could only offer a discount on a G400, otherwise tough luck no replacement.

Yea, mine happened when they were still selling G30's.

Back