Questions for the club builders…

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
I decided to pick up a used set of irons as an experiment and am going to be changing out the shafts and grips and having them built to a specific swing weight as well as have the lofts and lie checked. After calling around the cheapest I can get this done, at a reputable place, will be about $220 which seems a bit crazy to be honest.

So I started wondering is this something I could do myself or would I simply screw things up? Obviously I know the equipment is expensive to, but at a certain point it would pay for itself right? So my questions:

1. How did you get started doing your own club work?
  2. Any videos/books/other resources I should check out?
  3. If you could do it over again (invest in equipment, etc) would you? Or would you pay someone else?
  4. Are there types of club work to avoid? (For example installing shafts are easy, but shaft pulling isn't worth buying the equipment)
  5. What equipment would you recommend I get?

Thanks in advance all!

Fist off, I'm not even saying I know what I'm doing. DEFINITELY NOT AN EXPERT!!!! BUT, its fun as hell for me to build clubs and thats why I do it.

1. How did you get started doing your own club work? For me it started with grips, that led to extensions and shortening, which led to custom shafts in woods and drivers. I got addicted to it.

2. Any videos/books/other resources I should check out? Lots of youtube and stuff here on THP is where I learned the most.

3. If you could do it over again (invest in equipment, etc) would you? Or would you pay someone else? I struggled with this because I tinker. If I were to do it all over again I would invest in good tools. however, if it was just to get me in the right setup or to fix something that was broke, I would pay all day long.

4. Are there types of club work to avoid? (For example installing shafts are easy, but shaft pulling isn't worth buying the equipment) Ping irons... GOD they're a pain in the ass

5. What equipment would you recommend I get? For me, all I needed was a vise and a couple of basic tools to get started. I see myself dropping about a grand here soon, because I'm having so much fun, but thats for me to hide from the mrs.

Fist off, I'm not even saying I know what I'm doing. DEFINITELY NOT AN EXPERT!!!! BUT, its fun as hell for me to build clubs and thats why I do it.

1. How did you get started doing your own club work? For me it started with grips, that led to extensions and shortening, which led to custom shafts in woods and drivers. I got addicted to it.

2. Any videos/books/other resources I should check out? Lots of youtube and stuff here on THP is where I learned the most.

3. If you could do it over again (invest in equipment, etc) would you? Or would you pay someone else? I struggled with this because I tinker. If I were to do it all over again I would invest in good tools. however, if it was just to get me in the right setup or to fix something that was broke, I would pay all day long.

4. Are there types of club work to avoid? (For example installing shafts are easy, but shaft pulling isn't worth buying the equipment) Ping irons... GOD they're a pain in the ass

5. What equipment would you recommend I get? For me, all I needed was a vise and a couple of basic tools to get started. I see myself dropping about a grand here soon, because I'm having so much fun, but thats for me to hide from the mrs.

Thank you sir, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Great info here!

I decided to pick up a used set of irons as an experiment and am going to be changing out the shafts and grips and having them built to a specific swing weight as well as have the lofts and lie checked. After calling around the cheapest I can get this done, at a reputable place, will be about $220 which seems a bit crazy to be honest.

So I started wondering is this something I could do myself or would I simply screw things up? Obviously I know the equipment is expensive to, but at a certain point it would pay for itself right? So my questions:

1. How did you get started doing your own club work?
  2. Any videos/books/other resources I should check out?
  3. If you could do it over again (invest in equipment, etc) would you? Or would you pay someone else?
  4. Are there types of club work to avoid? (For example installing shafts are easy, but shaft pulling isn't worth buying the equipment)
  5. What equipment would you recommend I get?

Thanks in advance all!

There are literally dozens of videos on THP TV that go through every step of the process.

Changing shafts and grips is super easy with steel, and you wouldn’t even need many supplies. I can’t even imagine paying for that ever again once I figured it out.

Swing weights though, is a different story. I don’t swing weight anything, and the most I’ve even ever had checked was a driver I cut down.

What’s so hard about Ping

What’s so hard about Ping

What at is it about Ping irons that’s so difficult?

Questions for the club builders…

What at is it about Ping irons that’s so difficult?

I’ve just had rotten luck doing anything with ping irons, so I hate working with them now lol

Last edited:
Back