Misleading golf gear terms/expressions

NoBadMojo

Reaction score
Handicap
"That forged feel" - It would be far more accurate to say 'that carbon steel feel', because the feel of an iron is far more about the material used to make the iron than the process used to make it.

"Blades" - Aren't all irons blades of sorts? Think when people speak of bladed irons, what they are implying is 'muscle back' irons.

"Bounce" - Very misleading term. I like what Ping has come up with for a name for wedges - "Glide". "Slide" would be appropriate as well. Wedges dont really bounce (or at least they shouldnt) unless you are hitting down on the ball on a very hard surface like concrete

I'm sure there are more. This is what immediately came to mind.

"Double" anything doesn't make sense. If you shoot a bogey on a par four, it's a five. If you double that bogey, it's a 10... Or should we call that an "Els?"

"Double" anything doesn't make sense. If you shoot a bogey on a par four, it's a five. If you double that bogey, it's a 10... Or should we call that an "Els?"

Bogey is just shooting one over the stated par. Doubling that bogey is just 2 over, not double the total score

I had a post ready to go about divots/divot holes and divot tools/pitch mark repair tools when I realized this was an clubs question.

Bogey is just shooting one over the stated par. Doubling that bogey is just 2 over, not double the total score

Yes, thank you. We all know what a double bogey is.

I'm talking about the definition of the word "double." Speaking to someone who plays golf: If I shoot a "double" eagle, they'll think I shot two eagles.

Yes, thank you. We all know what a double bogey is.

I'm talking about the definition of the word "double." Speaking to someone who plays golf: If I shoot a "double" eagle, they'll think I shot two eagles.
Actually I would think you aced a par 4 or holed out your second shot on a par five.

Some call it an albatross some call it double eagle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think the biggest misleading terms are draw/fade bias. Ball flight laws show that the face to path relation dictates flight.

Actually I would think you aced a par 4 or holed out your second shot on a par five.

Some call it an albatross some call it double eagle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Meant to say someone who *doesn't* play golf.... I can see how that is confusing.

Smash factor?

Where did the expression "Fore" come from, instead of maybe "Cover"?

In clubs; Tour-Tour Only-Tour Issue-Made for the Tour yadda yadda yadda.....

I think the biggest misleading terms are draw/fade bias. Ball flight laws show that the face to path relation dictates flight.
Yes but if you have a neutral path and a fade biased head won't it fade, same with draw? Of course it won't turn a 5* out to in oath into a draw.

Draw bias.

Divot repair tool (credit Smallville).

A flex - what does the A stand for? Always? Adult? Ambiguous.

Staff bag - I understand it is big, but the name of the company is on all bags.

If a lob wedge is around 60*, what is a 64* called? Extra lob?

Yes but if you have a neutral path and a fade biased head won't it fade, same with draw? Of course it won't turn a 5* out to in oath into a draw.
It's so much path dependant that I don't know if you can call it draw or fade bias. There seems to be few different ways to introduce bias...

1. Heel/toe weighting to either induce or slow down toe closure

2. Open/closed face angle

3. Lie angle, upright for draw, flatter for fade

1 and 2 is better defined as push/pull bias. Face angle being the biggest factor for initial ball flight start direction.

3 I admit I don't quite understand. I THINK it has to do with distance of the toe away from shaft/hosel. More upright would make it closer, making the cg closers to the heel and allowing for more dynamic face closure. But that again would dictate more of initial start direction.

Of course all parts are not independent and they work together with swing path

Where did the expression "Fore" come from, instead of maybe "Cover"?

Lots of varying info on this around, but this is a pretty good description...

"Fore" is another word for "ahead" or "forward" - think of a ship's fore and aft. And in golf, yelling "fore" is simply a shorter way to yell "watch out ahead" (or "watch out before"). It allows golfers to be forewarned, in other words. Any golfer who hits an errant shot that sends their golf ball hurtling toward golfers ahead should yell out "fore" as a warning.

Back