Players Boycott US Open

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
While it is not going to happen this year, there is some smoke out there that many of the top players were ready to boycott the US Open. DJ, Rory, Phil and many others are said to be on this list. What are your thoughts?

For what reason?

• Admin
I thought I remember seeing a quote from Rory about how they have to get Pebble right or it could be bad. Something along those lines, but didn't think much of it.

They have the right to do what they want, many have been open about being upset about courses and setup in the past, with no real change coming from the USGA, so maybe it is time for the players to take it into their own hands.

Course setup.

Interesting.... I wish they would do it over pace of play but course set up seems kind of petulant to me and I am not one that likes to see the pros struggle. They all play the same course each week, so complaining that it is too hard rings a bit hollow.

I'm torn on the boycott. The real problem I have with it is, these guys get paid to play this amazing game. I know a difficult setup impacts their wallet, but if they don't want to play the course because it's tough... give ME the damn slot. I'll play that damn course no matter what its like with a smile from ear to ear coming in dead last every single time!

Optics are terrible. Football players play on crappy turf/fields all the time, hockey on ice that is below par. You are top in the world at this and you have to play tough setups? This isn't a local muni with 2 bunkers on the whole course. I don't want them to shoot 10 over to win, but this seems over the top to me.

who the hell cares how it's setup? all you have to do is beat the next guy, you don't have to shoot any specific score. so if everyone finishes 30 over par, all you have to do is finish 29 over par. this seems ridiculous to me, and is more an indictment against the spoiled nature of some pros than the usga going too far.

who the hell cares how it's setup? all you have to do is beat the next guy, you don't have to shoot any specific score. so if everyone finishes 30 over par, all you have to do is finish 29 over par. this seems ridiculous to me, and is more an indictment against the spoiled nature of some pros than the usga going too far.

That is why I said the optics are terrible. Golf is already perceived as a rich man/spoiled person's game. Now you boycott due to one of the best courses in America setup to be the best it can be?

the US Open is one of those tournaments that is bigger than the players IMO, similar to The Masters. To me a lot of this sounds like bellyaching. Now don't get me wrong, US Open setups aren't always the best, but they are tough and the tournament is normally compelling. Phil says that the setups that were right needed rain to come in and make it right. Well Congressional was dull as :poop: to watch, it was just another tournament. Bethpage in 09 was back for most of it seeing guys like Ricky Barnes shooting that place up, and Erin Hills was a joke of a US Open.

They are professionals and paid to play what they are dealt with. Seems like a lot of whining to me. Maybe i am way off base with my thoughts on that but those courses always look pretty nice.

The USGA has done this to themselves although I doubt guys would boycott at a chance at a major. However, if the USGA messes up PB, we’ll see where this goes.

F'em! Entitled babies. It's one week a year and everyone is playing the same course. Sorry if the winning score isn't 40 under like most weeks.

There are plenty of people that love this game that will gladly take their place.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Are burnt up courses, and specifically greens, representative of the game of golf?

~Rock

I think their complaint is mainly with green setup. I also think it is not speed which is fast and hard, but making it fast and hard, then putting the hole on a slope that no ball can stop when putted to. That is putt-putt and amateurish imo. It definitely seems entitled for them to say something about it, but that one par 4 last year where Phil had his moment had the pin location on a false front. That's not golf, that's a clown show.

I think its more about the setup being unfair and not just that its too hard. Phil slapping a rolling putt around is what they are talking about; cutting the hole on a slope where you can't stop the ball near the cup.

Their loss IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think its more about the setup being unfair and not just that its too hard. Phil slapping a rolling putt around is what they are talking about; cutting the hole on a slope where you can't stop the ball near the cup.

Yep, that hole was in the middle of a false front on an uphill par 4. That's stupid.

yet somehow other guys managed to figure out to play that hole. phil put his ball in the wrong spot, and hit poor putts. to me, the us open is supposed to put the highest premium of any tournament on proper positioning.

Would love to hear what Brooks has to say about this, haha.

Brooks didn't seem to care, and for that matter neither did Tiger.

The US Open is meant to be a test in all facets of the game. IMO a course setup that has the winner finishing around even, is perfect.

That being said, I don't think there is any way they will set Pebble up true, to what a US Open should be, which is a shame.

Also, congrats to Brooks on his 3rd Open.

Would love to hear what Brooks has to say about this, haha.
He would say that if those guys don't play then he only has 2 people left that can beat him.

I get it to a point since the USGA finds ways to consistently screw it up but this comes across as being crybabies. Everyone is playing the same course, do better than the others and you win. Plus you get almost pristine conditions throughout the rest of the season, suck it up for one week you big pansies.

Assuming Brooks is not on the list, just makes it easier for him or others top players to win.

If the winning score at Pebble is -15, will the players be happy then? Or will they cry that it wasn't hard enough for a USOpen?

Do you USGA!!!

Back