Cen1

Reaction score
Handicap
Got fitted for a new set of AP1’s. High handicapper about 20, hitting TM speedblades,stiff shafts, standard length and lie, 5’9” 190. After the fitting I was hitting much better with the AP1, he had me in a regular flex graphite shaft that was 2 degrees upright. I was puzzled and thought up right lies were for taller guys? The shots I was hitting were very good so I didn’t question him. Any thoughts on this? Thanks all

Got fitted for a new set of AP1’s. High handicapper about 20, hitting TM speedblades,stiff shafts, standard length and lie, 5’9” 190. After the fitting I was hitting much better with the AP1, he had me in a regular flex graphite shaft that was 2 degrees upright. I was puzzled and thought up right lies were for taller guys? The shots I was hitting were very good so I didn’t question him. Any thoughts on this? Thanks all

Upright doesn't have to be for taller only. If you are finding the center more often, i would say they are a fit.

What JB said. I’m 6’4” and my most upright iron is a standard loft. 9 down to my 58° are 1° flat.

If you’re hitting good shots with the upright clubs, it sounds like your fitter hit the spot.

I am not a tall man and had been playing flat lies and either 1/2" to a 1/4" short for over a decade. Most recent fitting got me into 1 degree upright and standard length which I would think would translate into several degrees more upright than what I had previously been using.

The other thing to think about, not all standard lies are created equal. Some manufacturers are flatter (like Mizuno if I remember) so 1 degree upright in one OEM could be standard in another. If you like the results you are seeing I would go with it.

The softer flex graphite shafts could also result in the club head tending toward being more toe down at impact, so bending them upright could be offsetting that effect of the shaft.

Club fitting is more complicated than static measurements, though static measurements can be a good reference/starting point.

Back