Deep Dive: Mizuno Golf with Chris Voshall

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We got a chance to sit down with Chris Voshall from Mizuno Golf at their assembly and distribution center and take a deep dive into both his career and life, as well as all things Mizuno.

If you are a fan of Mizuno, or just club creation in general, this is a MUST WATCH!

Getting into Golf
Butter being Cast
Sound vs Feel
Hollow Body
Mayonaise as a Descriptor
Meat vs Veggies
Start to Finish Designing a Golf Club
Favorite Irons Ever
Tour Players
Tee Up Money on Tour
The Atlanta Falcons
Nike Golf Leaving
And so much more.

I kinda need Chris’ polo in this video....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
I kinda need Chris’ polo in this video....

That is also discussed in this video and it's funny.

Deep Dive: Mizuno Golf with Chris Voshall

That is also discussed in this video and it's funny.

The good news is, I’m not that far from Canada here in Ny! Time for a Montreal trip! Lol

I REALLY ENJOYED this video, thank you JB and THP!!!

Totally agree that sound IS feel! It boggles my mind that people wear head phones when practicing....

Cool video. Nice to learn about the folks behind the brand. He seems like a real down to earth guy I would like to tee it up with. Great history lesson too about where Mizuno has been on the forefront of innovation, especially in drivers which is surprising.

About 9min through it... It’s really hard to wrap my head around someone who looks at meat and doesn’t say gee I wonder if that’s any good. Wings? Pulled pork? Ribs? Bacon? Come on man..

Everyone at Mizuno rocks.

After upgrading my irons to another set from them, I did a custom fitting for the ST190's at the Mizuno Experience in Atlanta. Turned out to be a total VIP treatment since I was fitted by the director of golf for Mizuno USA. I had joked with him that I thought they would have sent in Chris, but it was a great day for sure.

The next day, I sent an e-mail thanking him for working with me, and after he wrote back, I got another e-mail from Chris thanking me for being a fan. It has been great to chat with both via e-mail and through Facebook, and I'm a Mizuno fan for life to say the least. The people there and the equipment can't be beat.

Last edited:
  • Admin
About 9min through it... It’s really hard to wrap my head around someone who looks at meat and doesn’t say gee I wonder if that’s any good. Wings? Pulled pork? Ribs? Bacon? Come on man..

Hopefully the rest of the video CV made more sense

Nice job JB!! Great interview. Thanks to Chris for taking the time to speak with us. A lot of good information there.

I almost bought Mizuno's a couple times before and decided not to because they weren't cool at the time. My loss.
I finally went with the JPX900's and I love them. I won't say I'll never play another Iron, but Mizuno's will be at the top of my list from now on.

Please, we need another Mizuno event!!

Hopefully the rest of the video CV made more sense

It did. That was a great interview. I’ll listen to the second half again when I’m not cooking so it gets its proper respect, but that was excellent.

That was clearly one of the top interviews that JB had, not to say that all other are garbage, but the casualness of Chris and telling it like it is (without having to pause or think of a catch phrase) just made it that much more enjoyable. Chris is one heck of a spokesman for Mizuno.

Really enjoyed that, thanks.

I enjoyed the interview as well. Chris seems very approachable and just an all round honest guy.
But no meat? Relatable - he is not lol.

I love the way that CV talked about the MP-62. I missed it by one iteration, but the MP-63's were in play for me for a number of years and are probably one of my favourite irons of all time. Incredible set.

Great video! A few takeaways..

1. As mentioned Vandy will NEVER win a football championship! EVER!
2. Women’s bowling team...that had me cracking up
3. I would love to see one of those hand drawings from the Japan engineer. That’s crazy cool
4. I had no idea about their Metal woods history!
5. That had to be a big deal for them when Nike left the market and players without contracts flocked to Mizuno.
6. Would have loved to hear how Koepka winning so many events with the Mizuno Irons has directly impacted either tour interest or retail sales?
7. They take a really cool approach to tour player usage. It’s like they say “we are not paying you but if you choose to play our equipment, we got your back and it’s going to be a mutually beneficial relationship”. Or at least that’s what I took away from it.
8. Interesting that they will sell more cast irons than Forged this year
9. I want to try the ST190 Line now
10. I need one of those Polo’s!!

I kind of love the way that CV talks about Mizuno and how they operate on tour.

It's obviously a long standing position, but damn if it's not refreshing.

That is a great interview to listen to. His passion for Mizuno shines and what a great career he is having there. Nice job THP and thanks for sharing that.

I’m so glad you guys are enjoying it. We obviously had some fun with shooting it.

That was a very good interview. I have always been a fan of his. He seems to have been the corporate face of Mizuno for as long as I can recall.

Fun rapport between the two of you. That was a great insight into Chris and the Mizuno brand. Hated to see that final confirmation that Mizuno does indeed hate America, but it was fun nonetheless.

I'm guilty of only trying older JPX irons, and to me it was difficult to say those irons absolutely felt better than anything else. The whole cast butter debate would probably make more sense to me if I'd tried mp irons. But probably not.

Finally, Matt Ryan is a decent to good starting QB. Wouldn't call him elite, but don't think he's below average either... so I kinda do agree with Chris on that one.

Look forward to more content and interaction with the folks at Mizuno. This was a great look inside.

Great Video...

Thanks JB, this is really good stuff.

Thanks JB, this is really good stuff.

Sometimes we as golfers forget that behind each brand are people and we wanted a chance to introduce Chris to THPers, not that they don't know him, but in a far more in depth way than has been put out anywhere else.
It takes a lot of twists and turns in this interview, everything from meat to butter to hollow body irons, but it sure was fun to film.

Back