The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been really working the 50-100 yard wedge game hard lately, specifically the low, one hop and stop, draw. I played like crap today but that part of my game shined through. Excited to keep working at it.

ending up l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry can't edit the premature post above. ending up scratching the full swing itch. grabbed 7i and driver. got a large bucket instead of a medium bucket. for awhile with the 7, man it was sweet. just striping it. then i was hitting driver really well. but at the end it got nasty. I was getting tired, but I got really distracted by some ridiculous things the stupid range by my house is doing. I think I'm going to tell them to shove it and drive across town to a better practice area.

Went out on the course this afternoon for nine holes. I had intended to try and rush and get 18 in, but a threesome in front of me who must not have had a rear view mirror or couldn't see past 120 yards behind them, had no intent on playing at a reasonable pace or letting me through.

So I rethought my plan and decided to play it as a practice round hititng extra shots when i felt the need.

Driver: Was on point, I continue to love this Nike Fly, it's as straight as the day is long, and today I got two of my longest drives in about a year out of it, and you could tell the minute it made impact, it jumped and flew with a trajecotry and speed I don't often see. The distance was marginal for most but very good for me 236 and 241.

Irons: I hit the solid, but not accurately. I was happy with the distances and the solid contact for the most part, but a combonation of a couple hooks and a couple week pushes to the right left less than deseireable results.

Wedge: I really hate to judge these now as I'm missing a 54 wedge in my gaping, so often I try and hit a soft 50 or hard 58, neither of which leads to good results. I have the new Vokey's being shipped this week, so I'll get to work with those very soon.

Putting: Was solid for the most part, didn't make anything of great length, but left everything mostly at tap in range. Greens were still a bit bumpy due to aeration, but getting better.

I stayed out on hole 9 for about 30 minutes as nobody was behind me at all, and practiced pitch shots from about 60 yards with the 50 degree and bunker shots with the 58. Again, I'll be putting a lot more time into this aspect once I get the new wedges and learn their distances.

Hit a large 100 ball bucket today at the range. Started off pretty decent but then got into a really good groove about 3/4 of the way through the bucket. Then everything fell apart from there. should've just called it quits and gave the remaining balls to the guy next to me. Got to stop while I'm ahead and not overdo it.

Hit a medium bucket, working up through my 19* hybrid. It went very well for only being the second time I have hit balls this year, but I was hitting off the mats. The went over to the chipping/bunker area. This did NOT go well, but got a little better after 20 minutes or so. A 10 minute or so session on the putting green, where I remembered the reason I love the scotty RedX2.

Hit the range tonight and did some really solid work. The area that is costing me the most strokes lately is my iron play, particularly my short iron play just not being up to snuff. I have really solid contact and distance control but lately I've been having an issue with hanging balls out to the right when I swing easy, but hooking them a little when I get after it. I sort of self diagnosed that problem to be due to an overly weak grip and a really aggressive release (who knows if I'm right? lol)

Anyways I decided to strengthen my right hand just a little bit and it really seemed to straighten everything out and eliminate the hanging blocks, added a little distance, and allowed me to swing easy and see good results.

Got out yesterday and worked on my setup again, my last instructor had me practice addressing the ball in front of a mirror everyday. I had gotten away from doing it and I was getting sloppy at address. I've worked on it the last week and had my best ball striking day of the year Sunday. It's amazing how the little things can affect your swing, like I've heard Freddie say a hundred times... it starts at address, hard to make a good swing with a bad setup.

Hit a couple buckets over lunch. Worked on shorter back swing on 8, 9, W, GW. I tried to get a good shoulder rotation but would not let my left arm go beyond parallel to the ground. My accuracy was excellent. Same shorter back swing was much harder to pull off with longer irons. I also used most of a bucket hitting 75-80 yard shots with my 52 and 56 wedges. Low spinner with 52 and high and soft with 56. Improving with those shots.

Its been rainign all day, Garage is a mess.
Wife shaking her head as I was rolling putts on the birdieball in the living room.

Worked on getting the left shoulder to go down on the backswing/turn which puts my shoulder turn at 90* to my spine angle. Seemed to go well tonight at the range ball striking was good and I found the driver swing I had lost yesterday.

No real golf work today, only catching up on what I was supposed to do in the house earlier! Tomorrow is the day, if the weather permits!

Quick range session today at lunch. Wanted to get in some swings so hit wedges working on the Keegan tip some more and has some decent success. Then hit iron shots focusing on tempo and making sure to extend my arms.

hit some drivers to work on swinging it like my 7i some more. Had good success with this today and my push miss was reduced and my snap hooks were only a few. I feel like the winter rust is going away

Had a really good range session today. Felt like I was hitting the ball well and keeping most everything in front of me. Putting felt good but need to spend more time on it. Overall felt very pleased with things.

Had a really good range session today. Felt like I was hitting the ball well and keeping most everything in front of me. Putting felt good but need to spend more time on it. Overall felt very pleased with things.
I love hearing this! Keep at it brother!

Hit 3 buckets over lunch today. Worked on continuing to groove good tempo and a consistent shoulder turn. Then I hit 3 different hybrids (Ping G30, Titlelist 915, and Callaway XR) and compared them to 4i and 5i. I want to explore how different hybrids might fit into the bag. I don't know what I think yet. Then I worked on 9i to 150 flag. Straight, then draw, then fade. I am getting better at working the ball, but this will take continued practice to use in a round. Starting to learn more why I might use these. Even with left to right side wind the fades fluff out there about 10 yards short. Draws seem to fight the wind without any distance loss. Finally I worked with my BBA 815 driver. I have been hooking it far too much. I put the heavy weight at the toe, N, +2, and gravity core down. Weakened my grip and tried to swing easier. That worked. I feel like I can hit a consistent safe drive that way. Hard to tell if I am losing distance.

Went and practiced this morning for 2.5 hrs. Started with putting, spent about 45 min working on 8 to 10 footers. Then to the chipping green. Started well then I started to shank chips, getting very handsy and not turning the shoulders. Then did some bunker work and that was very forgettable. Finally a pyramid of balls. Started out terrible hitting everything fat. Worked some of it out toward the end. Over all it felt like I did more harm than good

I stopped at the range tonight. 2 large buckets, tonight's focus was all target oriented. It somewhat dovetails into how I'm working on my game. Normally I would warm up wedges and start trying to find the perfect shot shape. Tonight was different. I warmed up with wedges, and went o a mid iron. Got a feel for what my game was giving me as far as shot shape. Then I proceeded to visualize holes and play shots. My normal ball fight is a draw but tonight I was hitting more of a fade, and I let it happen. It was very different for me, and it felt weird really. But once I got used to the fight I was able to just focus on target. I'm not confident enough yet to fully trust it, but it was a good exercise in just letting it happen. At the end of my session (30 balls). I just worked on hitting little 60 yard flip wedges. Netted 3 and had a bunch land pretty damned close to the target. Wedge game is coming along quite well right now. Another good sign was I had no lower back pain which has been an issue the few range runs

Hit up the range and worked on trackman- Ive been struggling with high launch angle my 7i has been in the 21-23 degree range and needs to be 16-18. We've been working on swing changes to make that happen but i've not been getting my hands in front of the ball so today was focused on getting the hands in front of the ball at impact and using my right hand to square the club face. I did lots of 90% speed or less work with the irons when just focusing on getting in to the right impact position as well as club path. Once I went to full speed my LA dropped to 18-19 degrees, smash factor was 1.32-1.35, path, face angle were good as well. I'm pretty darn happy where things are going just need to keep up the practice regimen.

I stopped at the range tonight. 2 large buckets, tonight's focus was all target oriented. It somewhat dovetails into how I'm working on my game. Normally I would warm up wedges and start trying to find the perfect shot shape. Tonight was different. I warmed up with wedges, and went o a mid iron. Got a feel for what my game was giving me as far as shot shape. Then I proceeded to visualize holes and play shots. My normal ball fight is a draw but tonight I was hitting more of a fade, and I let it happen. It was very different for me, and it felt weird really. But once I got used to the fight I was able to just focus on target. I'm not confident enough yet to fully trust it, but it was a good exercise in just letting it happen. At the end of my session (30 balls). I just worked on hitting little 60 yard flip wedges. Netted 3 and had a bunch land pretty damned close to the target. Wedge game is coming along quite well right now. Another good sign was I had no lower back pain which has been an issue the few range runs

Sounds like good day dude!

What proximity on short shots, 50, 75, 100 yards do you consider an acceptable shot distance from target for practice?

Looking at event threads seems a ton of hopefuls putting in a lot of work, hope to read about it all in here. LOVE seeing the work get put in.

It's actually snowing at my house but I'm going to the range anyway to work on finishing my back swing. It was getting short the last time out!

Last few outings I had been seeing some low duck hooks with driver. Kind of figured it out today. I developed some weird wrist movement toward the top and was hooding everything. I'll he focusing on taking out unnecessary wrist movements in the back swing from now on

Since the Secret Service ended my workday early I get to go to the range after I have a convo with the ex about our son.

48* and windy but no rain so I hit the range after work. Mats only. Did a good job keeping my ball on line with the wind, alternating irons. Didn't worry too much about distance, more just thinking about weight shift and turning my front hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back