MPF...Maltby Playability Factor...Is it Helpful or Meaningless??

Nalajr

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all.

I am trying to get back into golf after over 10 years of no swinging at all due to a spinal disease that’s permanent. I am wanting to pick up a couple irons so I can practice hitting a ball trying to get stronger. I’m not interested in accuracy or ball flight right now, just trying to get my body to accept swinging a golf club repeatedly. I figure if I do it as much as I plan, I can’t help but get a bit stronger in my arms and shoulders.

So...I was nosing around for a couple irons to get. I was wanting something interesting, maybe a blade, just cause it might make me focus more on trying to make good contact. To that end I went to Golfworks to see what iron heads they had. There are a couple I really liked, 1 of which is a blade. It had listed a MPF of >701, which I took to mean it would be pretty good on off center hits and such. Something a high handicap golfer could hit and enjoy.

What im wondering is if this MPF factor can be trusted or relied on. Would an iron with a MPF of over 701 be as forgiving as a game improvement or even a Super GI Iron? What does a number like the 701 indicate to someone like me?

I'm just curious as to whether this detail is worthy of consideration or if it’s just a way to convince people with marginal swings at best, that they can play the same irons as low handicap golfers can?

What’s your thoughts on the MPF ratings?

Thank you for your help and time.
Have a great weekend!!
Larry

p.s. ....... if you have any ideas on some “interesting” and beautiful irons that I should use to get stronger...please list them as I’m looking for ideas.
Keep in mind, I am NOT going to take these to a course. I’m ONLY going to hit balls into a net to get my arms and body stronger. It really doesn’t matter what kind of iron I use. At least that’s my optimistic plan.

I’m of the opinion that the numbers that go into the MPF have some value, but the metric on its own isn’t particularly helpful. I’ve played some clubs that were very low by MPF that were among the more forgiving irons I’ve played. It’s one persons opinion of what’s important for forgiveness - and I think there have been some advances in iron design where maybe some of those assumptions don’t hold anymore.

This has been discussed before. It seems to favor his clubs.

Maltby Playability Factor is a measure of the mass properties of the iron. Maltby's preferred characteristics are:

1. Low center of gravity, ideally less than 0.840" which is the center line of the golf ball
2. Center of gravity in the center of the head heel to toe

The scale does not put a lot of weight in iron MOI. The score does not reference face technology.

I would not go by the end number. I'd use the individual measurements for what I understand works well for my game. Personally, I really like having the measurements available and think Maltby produces fine equipment.

Dave

I’m of the opinion that the numbers that go into the MPF have some value, but the metric on its own isn’t particularly helpful. I’ve played some clubs that were very low by MPF that were among the more forgiving irons I’ve played. It’s one persons opinion of what’s important for forgiveness - and I think there have been some advances in iron design where maybe some of those assumptions don’t hold anymore.

+1
AA.jpg

Back