Help with a driver shaft fit!

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a PING G410 Plus 9* with EF Black 65g. 6.0 and it's a true fairway finder about 245 max off the tee. Ball flight is a slight fade.

I went to a recent Titleist demo day and was put into a TS3 10.5* EF White 75g. 6.5 and was 20 yards longer. Ball flight was dead straight or with a slight draw. This has totally thrown me for a loop, I don't have the swing speed for this shaft.

I'm thinking of maybe an EF White 65g. 6.0 in the PING to bring spin down?

When I did my PGATSS fitting back in March, they put me into the G410 Plus 9* with PX HZRDUS Yellow 63g. 6.0 with 15.8* launch, 2124 rpm's of spin with 243 carry and 264 total.

The white would be $109, the yellow would be $89, the adaptor is $18 and a grip would be $10.

This is definitely the cheaper route vs. buying a TS3 but wondering which one will be more effective?

Help with a driver shaft fit!

Well 20 yards is pretty good.
Swing speed is only one small factor to flex

Did you also hit your Ping driver during the Titleist fitting? How did the launch, spin and ball speed #s compare on the same day?

Did you also hit your Ping driver during the Titleist fitting? How did the launch, spin and ball speed #s compare on the same day?

Yes! Spin with PING was high 3000’s-low 4000’s. With the Titleist spin was 1700-1900. Ball speed was a little higher with the Titleist too.

Yes! Spin with PING was high 3000’s-low 4000’s. With the Titleist spin was 1700-1900. Ball speed was a little higher with the Titleist too.

I’m just a hacker and there are actual fitters here on the forum. My opinion though...hard to imagine a shaft change knocking off over a thousand rpms. The difference in design between the 410 and ts3 heads probably account for the majority of that difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just a hacker and there are actual fitters here on the forum. My opinion though...hard to imagine a shaft change knocking off over a thousand rpms. The difference in design between the 410 and ts3 heads probably account for the majority of that difference.

I would agree with that. So chalk it up to some clubs don’t fit everyone? Can the PING be salvaged?

I would agree with that. So chalk it up to some clubs don’t fit everyone? Can the PING be salvaged?

I think so, but would prefer for someone more knowledgeable to chime in. Would enjoy @Canadan or @Jman or JB’s opinion.

For one thing, I think that spin you’re getting from the ts3 setup is ideal if you’re having a solid day, but for off days it could cause a loss of control. I’d almost prefer to leave a little distance on the table but get spin in the 2500 range. So in that sense I do think the Ping is salvageable. Perhaps even start by lofting down and setting the weight in the draw setting. That could be worth 300 rpms without spending coin.

Out of curiosity, why didn’t you go with the Yellow since it fit so well in your earlier fitting?

That spin variance is massive and will absolutely play a role in success when talking about carry and roll. But it’s only one factor.

To me, something’s fishy. Those heads aren’t 2000 rpms different in spin, at least from my experience. If it were me I’d find a way to hit both heads with the same shaft to see what’s really going on.

If it’s a timing thing with the weight and the flex, maybe. I know I struggle with even flow but it’s the whole lineup not just one version.

I think so, but would prefer for someone more knowledgeable to chime in. Would enjoy @Canadan or @Jman or JB’s opinion.

For one thing, I think that spin you’re getting from the ts3 setup is ideal if you’re having a solid day, but for off days it could cause a loss of control. I’d almost prefer to leave a little distance on the table but get spin in the 2500 range. So in that sense I do think the Ping is salvageable. Perhaps even start by lofting down and setting the weight in the draw setting. That could be worth 300 rpms without spending coin.

Out of curiosity, why didn’t you go with the Yellow since it fit so well in your earlier fitting?

At the time, I needed a driver right away for league play. The yellow was an up charge and would have taken longer to get. I have a complete repair shop in my garage and like to tinker so I could always build a different combo. PING says they don’t carry the white so I wouldn’t be able to try it through them.

The Titleist combo felt so great and that shaft was so stable. I felt like I could really go after it.

Maybe the G410 LST?

At the time, I needed a driver right away for league play. The yellow was an up charge and would have taken longer to get. I have a complete repair shop in my garage and like to tinker so I could always build a different combo. PING says they don’t carry the white so I wouldn’t be able to try it through them.

The Titleist combo felt so great and that shaft was so stable. I felt like I could really go after it.

Maybe the G410 LST?

Why not, you know, go with the Titleist?

I mean, you might have to change your username but that's seems like NBD to pick up 20 yards.

534bcac7b9c9da2d68d203ee39b4df15.jpg

61b4b821ca836a1ca6ff2532983ac7f0.jpg

ed84dbc761af64554b65a3d5b62f82c6.jpg

2fae31e46f688d944094cbf554d404a4.jpg

Went to the golf store today and hit the G410 Plus 9* with a Tensei Orange 60 gram stiff and got the above numbers. Afterwards, I looked at the head and it was set in the draw position.

The Tensei Orange is a completely different shaft then what people have been putting me into lately i.e. Evenflow White, Evenflow Black, HZRDUS Smoke, HZRDUS Yellow.

Today's heads and shafts are throwing me for a complete loop.

Wow. I'd say that's pretty much maximizing your carry distance for that ballspeed. Buy it!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow. I'd say that's pretty much maximizing your carry distance for that ballspeed. Buy it!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So those #'s don't match up? I have a hard time believing these launch monitors. I want to see results on the course. I know how far I hit it now - if I hit it past that then I know it's an improvement.

Back