Irons: Control vs Distance

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
I’m in a pickle and would love to hear people’s advice. I have two sets of irons that are built to the same specs, PXG 0311 (5/6 in XF, 7-P in 0311 with steel fiber i95 reg) and P790 (Recoil 95 reg).

The only difference between the two is the swingweight, the 790 feel a touch heavier.

i need to make a mental commitment between the two, swapping in and out isn’t helping.

the 790’s are almost a club longer per club but produce almost a singular ball flight that I have a hard time controlling. The PXG feel better and are more neutral, I can control them better and hit a variety of shots.

however, since they’re a club short if I play a course with protected greens where everything must be pure carry and hold, I struggle because I’m hitting a longer iron in the PXG and hence my percentage of successful shots are naturally lower with a lower lofted iron.

what to do... sacrifice power for control?!

I'm no one of knowledge but if it was more I would go feel and control all day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

With the amount of choices out there currently there is literally no reason why someone should have to sacrifice one or the other. There are plenty of distance clubs that offer great feel and control.

Are the p790’s stronger lofted than the PXG’s? Seems odd they would be a club shorter if so.

How I always make decisions on two decently performing clubs is if I had to play for money which would I put in the bag.

If you feel both perform equally then I’d pick whichever brand or looks you prefer better.

How far do you hit your 7 iron with each of these sets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I care more about control and predictability with my irons than distance. Then again, there are so many different loft configurations these days with an 8 iron in one set being equal in loft to a 9 iron in another set so the 8 iron in one set may not be really shorter but just stamped differently as 9 in the other set.

I’d say go with the set that gives you the results that align with your goals for the season.

With that said, I know here in San Diego we have a couple fitters that will retrofit old sets of clubs. Is there a fitter near you that can do this? They might be able to find a way to get you some extra distance on those PXGs...

With the amount of choices out there currently there is literally no reason why someone should have to sacrifice one or the other. There are plenty of distance clubs that offer great feel and control.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

To the OP - you seem to have boxed yourself into a corner. How about selling these two sets and buying something that doesn’t force you into this choice, but instead gives you both?

Are the p790’s stronger lofted than the PXG’s? Seems odd they would be a club shorter if so.

How I always make decisions on two decently performing clubs is if I had to play for money which would I put in the bag.

If you feel both perform equally then I’d pick whichever brand or looks you prefer better.
The lofts don’t really matter, do they. It’s how each club for a given distance performs.

Loft/ length/ lie are even on both and confirmed by my builder. The 790’s fly about 8/10 yards further

Yeah but that requires a new set of clubs which from an economic perspective I’m not in a place to do. Second hand market is weak on these clubs, so I’d get back less than 50% their value

I have 2 sets of irons, in one set I can hit the 7 iron 15-20 yards further than the other 7. The shorter set I can control better and hit 3 times as many greens so it is an easy decision

What is the ballflight issue that you're having a hard time with when hitting the 790's?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I will take control over distance any day. If you have to hit one more club to get the same distance that is not really a big deal is it?
I am in that situation now and am considering going back to the previous set just because of the control.

Play a few rounds at the same course with each set and post your scores.

Have you tried a different ball with either set? Maybe you can get a softer ball to play with the PXG's or a harder ball to play with the P790's to bring the performance closer together.

I'd go with control especially if you can hit the variety of shots with the club. Distance is great to have but if your all over the place and are having a hard time controlling it, it really doesn't help at all, could be even worse than being a club short.

I will take control over distance any day. If you have to hit one more club to get the same distance that is not really a big deal is it?
I am in that situation now and am considering going back to the previous set just because of the control.

That's sad to hear, Snickerdog. Not only have I gotten the distances that I want from my JPX 919 Hot Metals, but I'm actually controlling them better than my previous set(s).

To the OP: I fully understand the economic side of your issue. I also have suffered the pain of receiving less that half of what I originally paid when selling clubs. Here's what I would consider doing: sell both current sets and use the money to buy last year's iteration of a set that will provide both distance and control. Just as an example, you could probably find a brand new set of Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metals, or HM Pro's for less than what you'd reap from selling your 2 current sets. Then just have your fitter adjust them to your specs.

Have you tried a different ball with either set? Maybe you can get a softer ball to play with the PXG's or a harder ball to play with the P790's to bring the performance closer together.

I pretty much play Prov’s Exclusively, we get them through school so they’re free. Sometimes I’ll drop a chromesoft to mix things up

The two sets he listed are within .5* loft according to the manufacturer specs, so loft differences are not the issue. I have a suspicion about what it is but I need to know his relative swing speed first—how far he hits his 7 iron will give me a clue...

My best guess on the limited info provided is the performance distance may be shaft related. Regular flex between shafts differ. What is the percentage difference hitting the green between the two sets from 140, 150, 160 yds out? Back to your question though, I’d say play the pxg’s...if you can hit the 6 iron straighter on average than the 7 iron in another?

The two sets he listed are within .5* loft according to the manufacturer specs, so loft differences are not the issue. I have a suspicion about what it is but I need to know his relative swing speed first—how far he hits his 7 iron will give me a clue...

I carry the PXG just about 150. I have a par three at my home course where the flag is consistently at 158.

with the PXG on a pure strike I find the ball just hitting front of green which lies at 148.

I carry the 790 almost pin high with spin but the PXG is straight or a baby draw whereas the P790 loves going left so I either have to back off it a little or intentionally aim more right than I feel comfortable

I carry the PXG just about 150. I have a par three at my home course where the flag is consistently at 158.

with the PXG on a pure strike I find the ball just hitting front of green which lies at 148.

I carry the 790 almost pin high with spin but the PXG is straight or a baby draw whereas the P790 loves going left so I either have to back off it a little or intentionally aim more right than I feel comfortable
Check the lie angles. I'm betting the pxgs are flatter than the p790s.

You could possibly be turning the p790s over with a slightly closed face and that is where the distance discrepancy is coming from.

Also, between control and power, I say find a set of irons that gives you the best combination. It sucks pulling a longer club at times and sometimes pulling that short iron instead of mid iron just gives you the confidence to stiff it close. Getting a set bent right for you should give you that combination of control and power you need

I agree that jumping back and forth between sets is tough. I tried that for a while. If I was playing well I’d Bag a set of players irons, if I wasn’t I’d play a set of GI/Distance irons. Like you, one set was a full club + less with one set against the others but I liked the way that I could work the ball with the players clubs.

I had to swing slightly different with each set, which creates all kind of issues. Realized I wasn’t good enough to play like that and stuck with one set. Later added long irons from another set, but they play generally similar but are longer.

If the 790’s only go left, can you get them lie adjusted to help? I’d think even getting 50% of retail or close to it, you could fund most any set you want-at least close to it. Can you do an iron fitting? As JB said in way less words ( :) ), the tech is there so that you shouldn’t have to sacrifice much if anything. There are so many iron sets out there that are very good or better. I don’t like the way my irons look behind the ball but I’m so inconsistent anymore that I need the added forgiveness. I can’t work them very easily, but I’d rather they go straight and 95% of my planned distance than a baby fade and 75% of my planned distance if I miss the center by 1/4”. I probably could benefit by my same advice, get fitted to something that’s forgiving and workable-but I’m dumb and stubborn:)

Okay. Yep, that’s what I was looking for. Your shafts are too flexible for your swing. That creates extra spin, a drawing shot, and extra dispersion. With the heavier swingweight on the 790s it makes the problem even worse, which is why they love the lefts, but you also see greater distance (and I would bet in reality greater disparity between your longest and shortest shots when you think you swung the same because that can really put some spin on a ball when it kicks just so).

You need a 5.5 to 6.0 flex. Ditch the regular shaft. Get at least a Project X 5.5 or S300, maybe a Project X 6.0, or some other stiff or regular plus shaft. I hit my 7i 155 and play Project X LZ 6.0 and before that S300 for 15 years.

The only other thing that could be possible is In addition you might need flatter lies. How tall are you? And how long are your arms (sleeve length on dress shirt size will do).

Back