UST Mamiya Recoil Wedge Prototype

Really good round with the wedge proto's this weekend. Trusting the shafts more and more and learning that on full shots these just go straight with a good swing. 2 bunker shots that I put within 15 feet. Another hand full of shots that hit the greens with good birdie looks. The feel at impact is hard to explain but the word that keeps coming to mind is smooth.

Like Kevin, I'm noticing really good contact on half shots that fly out. It's a much better pop to the ball for some reason. Fun to see.

I have a SM5 56* S grind with a recoil prototype f4 in my wedge and really having issues hitting it. My 60* wedge I have a TT spinner that weighs more and don't have issues but the recoil just feels heavier at the head and I'm really having issues hitting it. My hits are usually fat and I just don't have a feel for head. Maybe it's the grind I don't know. Hoping someone who plays these prototype shafts might have some ideas.

I have a SM5 56* S grind with a recoil prototype f4 in my wedge and really having issues hitting it. My 60* wedge I have a TT spinner that weighs more and don't have issues but the recoil just feels heavier at the head and I'm really having issues hitting it. My hits are usually fat and I just don't have a feel for head. Maybe it's the grind I don't know. Hoping someone who plays these prototype shafts might have some ideas.

I don't believe there is much of a difference in the weights, but proto 125 f4 is much stiffer shaft compared to TT spinner in my opinion. Were you fit into the recoil shaft?

I don't believe there is much of a difference in the weights, but proto 125 f4 is much stiffer shaft compared to TT spinner in my opinion. Were you fit into the recoil shaft?

No I was not fit with the recoil. There were several wedges available on a site, and knowing the weight of a spinner these recoils are less weight, so I figured it shouldn't be an issue. Was I ever wrong. I have a KK shaft in another wedge that I replaced with the recoil because It was too light. I totally misjudged the stiffness of the recoil over the TT but you are spot on in your assessment of the proto 125 vs the TT spinner. I don't think anything can be salvaged on this, it was an expensive lesson.

Hey Nate, how goes it with these? They are stuck in my head right now something fierce.

Hey Nate, how goes it with these? They are stuck in my head right now something fierce.
Funny thing I was thinking the same thing lol.

Funny thing I was thinking the same thing lol.

All good still. Controlled ball flight both low and high; great feel at impact (know right away if it's good or not); great feel around the greens esp with the 30-50yd ranges. Very happy thus far, so happy that I'm going to try the protos in these now:

7debc63edc2016b88699993bfc7c917e.jpg

All good still. Controlled ball flight both low and high; great feel at impact (know right away if it's good or not); great feel around the greens esp with the 30-50yd ranges. Very happy thus far, so happy that I'm going to try the protos in these now:

7debc63edc2016b88699993bfc7c917e.jpg
NICE! I've got a chance at getting 3 at a really damn good price and I think I'm going to leap.

So I have some more thoughts about these after playing them a couple more times.

Looks: What can I say about the looks of these things? If you are a fan of the ion plating that UST does, then you will like these. I love that they look basically like steel, but just with a little flair. The "Wedge Proto" and the "X/50" numbering also appeases the internet golfer in me

Flight: I am seeing a mid flight out of these, but they can be flighted really low for a hop and stop trajectory as well. The course I played this past Sunday had some of the hardest greens I have played in a very long time so it is tough to comment on how those hop and stop shot were working, because we weren't seeing any stop, just tons of rollout. In some of my previous rounds I have seen lots of success putting the ball back and my stance and hitting low spinners with the 56.

Spin: I don't really know how to comment on this. These wedges spin, but all wedges do in my opinion. Did adding these shafts increase spin? I don't know for sure, but I know that the ball does spin pretty well combined with the Cobra King wedges when I have clean grooves and make good solid contact, but I would say that happens with any wedge I hit.

If anyone has any other questions on these I would be more than happy to answer them. I am really enjoying these shafts, and hopefully we see them released to the public soon

So, the question becomes, in SM6, or in MD3/PM.

Fresh new grooved MD3's/PM are the answer I think.

Really really enjoying these in the MD3's. Feel, feel, feel. Had a bunker shot last weekend where I had about 7 yards to work with to the pin. Flopped the 60 to a kick in birdie. Enough can't be said about the feel I now have with these shafts.

Playing 13 rounds over the next 3 weeks so these are about to get one good workout.

FINALLY got these installed, and put them into the MD3 50w, 54w, and 60c.

Took getting a new shaft puller to get the heads unstuck (old one was on its last leg) but its done. All set to play 1/2 over standard. Will have them out tomorrow!

Put these in the Md3 thread, but I'm putting them here too #SueMe #NotYouSeth

d27343689163e781712e7b189aeb97f5.jpg

431cae18afa0411f9cd076760b76c827.jpg

Look sharp

Put these in the Md3 thread, but I'm putting them here too #SueMe #NotYouSeth

d27343689163e781712e7b189aeb97f5.jpg

431cae18afa0411f9cd076760b76c827.jpg

Maybe I missed your answer since there is 7 pages but I have a couple of questions.

What's the weight of the recoil shafts in each MD3?

What do you think about the recoil shaft in the wedges? Performance wise?

Maybe I missed your answer since there is 7 pages but I have a couple of questions.

What's the weight of the recoil shafts in each MD3?

What do you think about the recoil shaft in the wedges? Performance wise?

They're 128g in weight. I've played standard recoils in wedges before, and now these Wedge Proto's. Just got them out for the first time today, so I'm going to hold off on a definitive performance post, but I'm planning on 36 more tomorrow so I should be able to get a little more into it all tomorrow evening!

They're 128g in weight. I've played standard recoils in wedges before, and now these Wedge Proto's. Just got them out for the first time today, so I'm going to hold off on a definitive performance post, but I'm planning on 36 more tomorrow so I should be able to get a little more into it all tomorrow evening!

Sounds good.

Wow between the club heads and the shafts these look great!

Wedge shafts only according to Dr. Le. Would game these in a heart beat.

1PinkRecoil_zpsuvucqlrw.jpg

Took my sm6s with these wedge shafts in them to the range for their first swings. Having played a round with them in the rtx2.0 so I had an idea of what to expect. When I tested them in the 2.0s while with UST they performed well and I was able to hit whatever shots I wanted with no issues.

With the sm6s the performance was there. I was able to hit 1/2 & 3/4 shots as well as some knock downs with ease. Full shots with 50 and 54 were easy and the shaft is stable on all shots and at 125 f4 I don't feel like I lose anything in feel or stability compared to the DG wedge shafts that I have been playing in pretty much every wedge.

I'm excited to get these on the course.

I guess I don't understand why these are really necessary. Being that a rarely full swing a wedge, it seems like an unnecessary expense.

I guess I don't understand why these are really necessary. Being that a rarely full swing a wedge, it seems like an unnecessary expense.

Purely my opinion on this but the recoil shaft is 67% more efficient than steel that would be a benefit for those who!full swing a gw or sw. There is the wear and tear from using steel whether on full or partial shots.

Also keeping the same feel from irons to wedges with graphite

Back