Too much right hand in the swing

Grandpa K

Reaction score
Handicap
I was at the range today trying to work out my swing problem (especially with my driver) and stumbled onto something that when I changed it, immediately helped. I was working on my swing tempo and all of a sudden tried to put a little more pressure in my left hand on the club and less pressure on the right hand. I immediately started hitting the ball straighter and got rid of the low diving pull hook (especially with the driver). I believe that my right hand was dominating the swing and tugging the ball low and left by turning the club closed at impact. To all mthe swing gurus, am I on to something here? Am I thinking the right way? Because it really helped. Coupled with a swing at about 70% instead of trying to jump on it by swinging hard the results were so much better. Anyone else had this problem. I don’t profess to be a swing aficionado but if this helps someone else I thought I’d share it.

I have been tweaking with my grip pressure lately. I have not heard of this or tried it. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try this on the range. Always looking for little things to try out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think this could be incorporated with the feeling of push pull. Worth a try for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here is a research paper about grip forces - very complex .

https://www.academia.edu/19812944/Measurement_and_analysis_of_grip_force_during_a_golf_shot

I normally skip the detail and look at the conclusions (as per below).

---------------------------------------
Force data such as those provided here can be compared with the theories of professionals and coaches on how to grip the club. Several golf instruction books provide contradictory information on which hand should provide the firmer grip throughout the swing. Couples and Nelson have indicated that the left hand should grip firmer, while Faldo and Saunders thought the right hand should have the tighter grip.The total, left hand and right hand forces for each golfer in Figs 7(a) and (b) quantify the influence of each hand. For all 20 golfers that were tested, the left hand grip force exceeded the right hand force for the majority of the shot and, for most of the golfers, the left hand force was considerably larger than the right hand force around and during impact. It therefore appears that most golfers apply a larger grip force with their left hand throughout the shot

---------------------------------

Wow. That was a little technical and way over my pay grade! Thanks for the info in the summary you supplied. It seems to be working for me.

Back