Mizuno JPX EZ Forged vs newer clubs P790, JPX 919, Srixon Z585, Ping G410, etc.

Markubicz

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everybody, New to the forum. Been playin golf not too seriously for past 10 years. I try to get out to play a round once a week. Not one to practice just rather play a course. So I got my son playin with me a few years back with a box set from Wilson and he quickly outgrew those skill level wise. So I handed down my old trusty set of TM Burner Pluses, which I liked. Had them fitted and regripped for him at my local shop. So now it's time for me to get a new set of clubs. Obviously the selection is abundant. I don't have a handicap. But would put myself at mid to high. I break 100 on a bad day, low to mid 90's on average and hit high 80's on a good day. I've been looking at and have hit Taylor Made P790, Ping G410, Callaway Apex19, and Ping i500. They all hit great, except I felt the I500 a little less forgiving than the rest but great when you got it. Think too much club for my level of play. Actually all of them might be a little too much club but I plan on sticking with the game and am improving as time goes on. Price wise the clubs are all within a few hundred dollars of each other, expensive! If I take the plunge I will be trying out a few other clubs and see what I really like, right now from the clubs I hit, likin the P790 and G410. Want to try the JPX919 hot metals, Srixon Z585's, Cobra King Forged Tec, and a couple others. Not too worried about finding a brand new set of clubs. They all have the latest and greatest just finding what I like. I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a brand new set of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons. I really like the look of them and they have great reviews. I'm sure a nice step up from my Burners. So my question is, has anybody played the Mizunos and gone to the new clubs and if so, how do they compare with todays' game improvement clubs. Obviously I'm no pro, so I will probably be playin these clubs for a long time so don't mind payin the bucks for a new set but honestly will probably never reach a level to use full potential of older clubs let alone new. If I can save a thousand dollars on the irons, get the new driver, 3W, hybrids, wedges and putter. I should have a really nice set of clubs to last a long time. I can also go the used route too. Just wanted to hear people's thoughts on Mizuno JPX EZ's forged compared to todays' clubs.

Welcome to the forum!

Your list of the new irons on the market reminds me of how many great options we all have. Unfortunately, I've never hit a Mizuno iron (and as I type this I'm starting to get shakes over this realization), but if cost is an important factor, I bet you can find a new set of Srixon 565s for real cheap. Our scoring sounds similar, and I played the 565s last year, and I've never hit a set of irons better--very fun, high-performing clubs. I picked up a new set of P790s because of a great deal, but had I not, I probably would have gone with the 585s (just because :) ).

Yes, hearing good things about the Srixons, gonna go try them out, the P790's were definitely nice. Found some nice barely used sets for under $600. Still would like to hear feedback on the older Mizunos. I might pick up that set and play them for a while, at the price I can get them for I might actually be able to sell them for more if I don't like them. Just hate dealing with selling things...lol

I loved the JPX EZ's when I had them. I had the orange back ones so you are probably looking at the newer set of those. The only reason I moved from them was because of the offset on them. I moved from 15ish handicap down to 10ish handicap with them and decided to go with the JPX900's just because of the offset difference. They feel great and are workable if you ever want to get to that point. I could hit them high or low and and could easily draw and fade them.

I would say if I currently had the JPX EZ's there would not be enough new tech to get me to change HOWEVER if I am coming from something older I would really look at the new tech since you are going to keep for a few years.

Yeah looking at the 2016's which are supposed to be much improved over the orange backed ones. I think I will give them a shot, don't think for $300 there is much to think about. I'm sure they will be great to get me to the next level. Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

It'd be hard for you to go wrong with the 2016 JPX EZ Forged irons. I still have my set, shafted with KBS Tour 90's. They're great sticks, and as echico said, they are workable. I found them to look and feel a slight bit bulkier than my JPX 919 Hot Metals, and while they are "forged," they don't provide that buttery feeling for which Mizuno is renowned. I play my Hot Metals because they're newer, a little longer, and I'm somewhat more consistent with them. That said, I'll always hang on to my EZ Forged because they are such good irons and I like to play them on occassion.

Thanks Rebel, JPX 919's hot metals, nice. It's interesting the non-forged club feels buttery and not the forged EZ. Gotta chalk it up to Mizuno on the tech. I don't mind a bit chunkier looking club head, I think mentally it actually gives me a little more confidence that I can hit the ball easier out of the #%*#, which I find myself in quite often...lol. How does the finish hold up on the JPX EZ forged? Seems very durable and rather than scratch, chip or wear off like the black PVD finishes, it seems to get like a weathered look and goes from smokey to almost bronzish looking. I'm going off pictures that I've seen, which may not be accurately representing what they look like in reality. I love all the new clubs coming out with black finishes but they don't seem to hold up too well over time with the exception of Cobra which actually infuses the dark carbon into the metal. The Cobra Forged Tec is a another club I was considering.

Thanks Rebel, JPX 919's hot metals, nice. It's interesting the non-forged club feels buttery and not the forged EZ. Gotta chalk it up to Mizuno on the tech. I don't mind a bit chunkier looking club head, I think mentally it actually gives me a little more confidence that I can hit the ball easier out of the #%*#, which I find myself in quite often...lol. How does the finish hold up on the JPX EZ forged? Seems very durable and rather than scratch, chip or wear off like the black PVD finishes, it seems to get like a weathered look and goes from smokey to almost bronzish looking. I'm going off pictures that I've seen, which may not be accurately representing what they look like in reality. I love all the new clubs coming out with black finishes but they don't seem to hold up too well over time with the exception of Cobra which actually infuses the dark carbon into the metal. The Cobra Forged Tec is a another club I was considering.

I have no complaints about the finish on my EZ Forged. It weathered nicely and still looks good.

It'd be hard for you to go wrong with the 2016 JPX EZ Forged irons. I still have my set, shafted with KBS Tour 90's. They're great sticks, and as echico said, they are workable. I found them to look and feel a slight bit bulkier than my JPX 919 Hot Metals, and while they are "forged," they don't provide that buttery feeling for which Mizuno is renowned. I play my Hot Metals because they're newer, a little longer, and I'm somewhat more consistent with them. That said, I'll always hang on to my EZ Forged because they are such good irons and I like to play them on occassion.

+1
g.png

I play the 919 Hot Metals and I couldn't be happier. Go and test all of the ones on your list out and and then buy the ones that you hit the best.

Never used any past Mizuno irons but love my jpx919 Hot Metal Pros. Less offset and feel great. I did hit the g410 and half dozen other irons during my fitting. Mizuno Hot metals and Wilson d7 felt the best out of the bunch.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, I pulled the trigger and bought that set of brand new 2016 JPX EZ forged clubs for $300, 4-G, with XP95 stiff shafts, couldn't pass them up. I played a round today with my son, no practicing at the range just went out without even trying them. Man, I love these irons, had some mishits that still carried within 5 yards of where I wanted them. I had some beautiful shots today, can't wait until I get used to them. I know they are 2016's but I have to say my TM Burner Pluses from 10 years ago don't compare (even though my son who's 18 hits the crap out of them ��...oh to be young again). My overall score sucked today cuz I was using my sons old clubs from a Wilson box set that I had bought him 4 years ago to get him started. Driver was OK, just no distance, but the putter is like a steel bar welded to a shaft. 3 putted most of the holes. One of those days. After a several holes and getting a few solid hits on the JPX's I found myself clubbing down from what I would of used with my TM Burners. Was getting more distance, straighter shots, and much better feel. Think these irons will do me fine until I get to the next level, not to say that they wouldn't be fine after that but by then I will be able to justify spending the money on the latest and greatest at that time. It's hard to imagine clubs getting any better but they do. Now to get the rest of my clubs, decisions, decisions... Driver, 3w, hybrid, wedges, putter...oh geeze. No vacation for the wifey I guess. Gotta have your priorities straight. ��

...looking at the 2016's which are supposed to be much improved over the orange backed ones. ...don't think for $300 there is much to think about.

Take any review with a grain of salt. The knock on the OG Forged version here on THP was they were too high launching and short. As a low ball hitter, I never found this to be the case. Maybe the new version is better, but I found them to be much harsher with the addition of Boron and the stock XP 95 shafts are high launching and not as stable as the XP 105 in the originals. Not saying you shouldn't spring for the Mizuno's as it's a brand everyone should try, but for $300, the choices are endless.

Back