David Leadbetter's A Swing book

I also was just wondering if anyone had stuck with this swing. I've tried two goes at it. I noticed most people here did well with it at the range, as did I. But, under game condition, yikes! Remember, this swing was developed for people whom didn't have much time to practice. Well just looking at all the hand and wrist manipulation necessary to make this swing happen, there's going has to be a lot of practice to ingrain the timing. Using it on the course I hit some beautiful iron shots, but also some awful hybrids and woods. I've seen every kind of swing at the golf course, but never anything that looks like this. Still, I may try to perfect it before I move on to the next best thing. Perhaps S & T :dohanim:?

Saw this book at the store.Is this legit or a gimmick!How many of us have the ability to drop the club on a lower plane in the downswing?looks so difficult to accomplish

working pretty well for Lydia Ko.

For what it's worth I was down in Orlando staying at Championsgate where his academy is based. I asked several people taking lessons there that I played with including a guy that just got his Canadian Tour card and not a single one uses the A swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For what it's worth I was down in Orlando staying at Championsgate where his academy is based. I asked several people taking lessons there that I played with including a guy that just got his Canadian Tour card and not a single one uses the A swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Isn't this swing idea similar to what Furyk and Ryan Moore do?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know much about the a swing. I watched a meandmygolf youtube video about it once and then did a few sample swings in the back yard. The main thing I noticed is that it did feel easy on the body; coming through in the pocket is a piece of cake. OTT is almost impossible. Anyway, a retired colleague in Maine raves about this swing. We were at a meeting and somehow started talking about golf. It took about 1 min to realize he lives to golf. He took up the a swing and says he has never hit the ball better. At mid 70s he told me he drives the ball further than a lot of the younger guys with this swing. He was exuberant about how this has changed golf for him. Based on is experience he is an advocate and really wanted me to try it. I am striking the ball well (for my goals in my progression) and don't want to change anything. But at a minimum, there are some things here that I think help me better understand the golf swing and adjustments I might want to explore.

...OTT is almost impossible...

This alone makes me want to give it a try because any other swing tips I've received haven't been able to consistently stop me from doing this.

It's like anything in life. If you work at it and have a good set of eyes to help, it will work.

It's like anything in life. If you work at it and have a good set of eyes to help, it will work.
I can only blame myself, I don't put the reps in and want the quick fix and that just doesn't happen in golf. I need to find/make the time to practice.

Wouldn't that fast upright hinge lead to a chopping motion on the way down?I was told width on the backswing.Just reminds me of picking it straight up and chopping down.Curious on this method
Oh I've chopped when trying to learn the swing. That's why starting the swing with your core and getting your body to turn is the key. When I get lazy and start the swing with my hands it prevents a full turn and that's when I get a chop swing. Throws my whole timing off.
That mostly happens with the driver or longer irons where I get too quick starting the swing. When I start with the core muscles and take a smooth take away everything falls into place from there.
Last spring when I started learning this swing I was cursing it and asking myself what the heck am I doing! I stuck with it and by Summer's end was happy with the improvement in my game.

If if you watch Lydia Ko from behind you can see how she takes the club outside and slow and smooth then drops the club into the slot on her downswing. The thing is she gets to learn from one of the best. I have to learn from trial and error by looking at his book. :banghead:

If the angle is set while making a good shoulder turn, there is no 'chop' if you are chopping then you're not turning the shoulders.

Fooled around with this in the backyard this afternoon with a birdie-ball. Started off good but started blocking them to the right at the end. The motion felt alright though.

If anyone wants this book I will send it to you if you cover shipping.

Fooled around with this in the backyard this afternoon with a birdie-ball. Started off good but started blocking them to the right at the end. The motion felt alright though.

Close your stance. The A swing stance is not a square stance but a closed stance.

For me, the book/youtube vids, have some use as to the start of the backswing. I think most golfers, me included, tend to get the club off the chest too soon and the clubhead gets behind the hands... good luck with it.

For me, the book/youtube vids, have some use as to the start of the backswing. I think most golfers, me included, tend to get the club off the chest too soon and the clubhead gets behind the hands... good luck with it.
Interested to check it out. If nothing else I see how a steeper backswing could make it more difficult to come OTT.

So I have been using the A swing for a while now & have had decent results. Then I went out Sunday & was swinging horrible. I then went back & looked at the drills to see what I was doing wrong...& realized I had reverted back to my old backswing. I went over the drills again & yesterday had one of my best days of the year with woods and irons. ]

So now my goal is to do the drills 2-3 times per week to try to ingrain it more. Like anything...practicing the correct way is what works :}

I need to make the time to give this a chance. I got the book awhile back from tucsondivots but haven't had time to get into it. With the state of my game, probably can't hurt either.

I need to make the time to give this a chance. I got the book awhile back from tucsondivots but haven't had time to get into it. With the state of my game, probably can't hurt either.

I read the book a couple weeks ago and watched all of his videos on each aspect of the swing as well as two presentations he did about it and his series if videos on fixes.

i was considering implementing the swing but after reading the book I chose to take parts of it and work on them. I have been seeing better results on the range and course as a result. Some of the areas I have worked on are grip, coiling/turning with the core and feeling the piston like movement. When I concentrate on these things see really good results and when I get lazy I make bad swings.

I read the book a couple weeks ago and watched all of his videos on each aspect of the swing as well as two presentations he did about it and his series if videos on fixes.

i was considering implementing the swing but after reading the book I chose to take parts of it and work on them. I have been seeing better results on the range and course as a result. Some of the areas I have worked on are grip, coiling/turning with the core and feeling the piston like movement. When I concentrate on these things see really good results and when I get lazy I make bad swings.
I've actually implemented the prayer grip with my irons and saw some improvement there lately. I had trouble with the A-swing takeaway and what felt like rerouting the club although it was a limited attempt.

I've actually implemented the prayer grip with my irons and saw some improvement there lately. I had trouble with the A-swing takeaway and what felt like rerouting the club although it was a limited attempt.

the takeaway for me is something my instructor from last had me working on with keeping the hands closer to my back leg and the club in front of the hands. When I went back to my normal guy this year he wanted me to focus in keeping the right arm on top of the left and I struggled with it until I read this book and watched the videos and also some slow mo of Lydia and Danny Willet.

i don't feel like a re route but I do feel like the club gets into the slot easier with this change and I'm not as steep.

the takeaway for me is something my instructor from last had me working on with keeping the hands closer to my back leg and the club in front of the hands. When I went back to my normal guy this year he wanted me to focus in keeping the right arm on top of the left and I struggled with it until I read this book and watched the videos and also some slow mo of Lydia and Danny Willet.

i don't feel like a re route but I do feel like the club gets into the slot easier with this change and I'm not as steep.

I'm guessing the right arm on top of the left helps maintain spine angle? The position at the top looks across the line and then the shaft position seems to change drastically as it drops into the slot during the downswing. That's where I had the feeling of the reroute. Could be my sequence and timing are off that's causing that sensation though. Really need to experiment with this some more, not sure about mid-season though, at least not all in.

There are literally thousands of whatever you want to call it about playing golf. Speaking for myself I can say I've tried MANY! My problem has been and continues to be that I just don't play and or practice enough. It's pretty stupid for me to expect to play decent golf if my only prep work is the 15 to 20 swings at the range prior to a round. With that said I do hold this A Swing with some promise and optimism. When, and that's a big WHEN, I follow the process there is no doubt it's the best I've ever hit a golf ball. The distance and trajectory are spot on. I'm sure it could be said that those results could come from a number of other techniques but this swing just seems to simplify the movement. Another benefit I've noticed is that my ability to get some yardage on a swing does not require more effort or power. But as was posted earlier in this thread the work and time must be put in.

funny to see this thread bumped. was watching lpga and they showed Lydia Ko. I thought, "hmmm, looks like leadbetter's a swing." not sure why I've never noticed it before. googled it and found an article where leadbetter is defending the change and showing some before and after video.

it definitely looks different, but it's hard to argue with her results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back