"Average" condition on Callaway Preowned

LONGBALL777

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone have any experience buying irons in "Average" condition on CPO, and can give me an idea on what to expect?

I am curious about this as well, they have a heck of a deal on irons right now. I recently bought a driver in “good” condition and it far exceeded my expectations.

I just had a disappointing experience with them. I bought a "like new" putter a few weeks ago, and this is what showed up.
114a695f6fb1727fdc1d7ae57322ea09.jpg
72afb95ebc9838b2889e8bc6b1276dda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a disappointing experience with them. I bought a "like new" putter a few weeks ago, and this is what showed up.
114a695f6fb1727fdc1d7ae57322ea09.jpg
72afb95ebc9838b2889e8bc6b1276dda.jpg

Seems like they could easily rectify that with a quick phone call. I believe they have for others in the past on here that had a similar misclassification.

I returned it and bought a new one from a local store. The question asked was about condition rating, and that was an answer to the question.

Last edited:
CPO has exceeded my expectations the two times that I've purchased through them. The best being an "above average" womens solaire iron set that arrived new in plastic except for the 7 irons that had some minor brushing on the face and sole.

Unfortunately I have not purchased anything with an "average" rating but every "like new" item I've purchased still had the plastic on it and every "very good" looked new as well. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised even with Callaway''s "average" rating.

I’ve bought irons, fairway woods, drivers and a couple putter from CPO and have always really happy with the items received. Average irons had some wear but no nicks or anything

I have purchased 4 sets of irons from them in “average” condition over the past 2 years. Two of them were 12-15 year old sets. I was pleased with the condition of each set. From my experience you can expect a condition that’s well used in relation to clubs from that age, but will still be fully functional with no big dings. I only care about performance and not aesthetics so as long as they perform I’m good.

Which makes me an ideal candidate to buy pre-owned, and CPO (as well as many other used outlets) knows it:)

I've not bought anything in "Average" condition but did get my CF16's in "Good" condition and they exceeded that for sure. As others usually say, typically Callaway's own clubs at least meet and often exceed the rating. Just about everyone I've heard who had an issue was taken care of to their satisfaction by Customer Service.

For my own edification has anyone bought forged irons from CPO with worn grooves or browning on the faces?

I'd love to contribute.

I bought two "average" sets of irons last month and let me just say that the best thing to do is go into those individual product threads to see how the clubs wear over time.

Set one: Cleveland launcher hb for my dad:
The clubs had that very grass stained dull look to the face that most irons have over years of play. Good playing condition, but just looked like hand-me-downs. If you look at the back of those launchers, they have that black fill on the back. That black fill was completely scratched up but the patterns looks like someone had keyed every club. Not paint chips, but just these long wavy scratch lines.

Set two: Cobra 2016 mb/cb black:
I wanted these things to be great, but I should have done research about face wear. My FTB ones are only slightly showing sole wear and face wear after a hard 12 months living with me and my swing. These 2016 clubs...the faces were fine, but the finish were worn to the point where the bottom of the clubs/and the sweet spot of the face were chrome and surrounded in black.

Both sets were playable. Good grips, good shafts, the grooves were fine. Cosmetically though, it made me struggle to think I couldn't get more value for my money by buying ebay. That being said, it might be different shopping their other brands vs their own.

For my own edification has anyone bought forged irons from CPO with worn grooves or browning on the faces?

I bought a set of RazrX Forged from them in “average “ condition, grooves were still good and zero browning. They had a lot of bag chatter but that was it.

Everything I've bought from them has far exceeded my expectations. Something that was in Excellent condition - always seem so to come in like new.

I guess if the price is worth the risk, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm sure they have some that slip through the cracks, but i would think it's rare.

They may not look the best, but they will perform just as well as the better conditioned ones.

My dad got a Rogue 3W and 5W in average condition from CPO. I would have rated them more good to excellent.

Anyone have any experience buying irons in "Average" condition on CPO, and can give me an idea on what to expect?

I ordered a 7i apex CF16 while I was on the road in a hotel for 34 days for work. I’d say the face of the club looked barely hit. It looked like maybe the club was hit a few times but I would have called the head 8/10. If anything if came with a MCC +4 grip which I use so was glad. However it was getting a little weathered and would probably replace. So if anything the grip was the worst part. But worked great for me. $58 shipped to my hotel.

I bought one of my fairway woods from them that was listed in “average” condition. Other than a spot on the crown, it was good. Better than I expected. The others I have bought in better than average and all were good. The only issue I had was the new grip was not aligned with the adjustable hosel.

Back