Are You a Smart Golfer?

Haha sometimes?

Today and Friday I was

My last hole was a Par 5 normally i try to go for it in two to minimal success

Lying 1 with playing partner, I’m 210 he’s 220

I say to him i always try and go for it and make triple I’m laying up to 100 the. Going for it.

He goes for it with 5i ends up making 8

I lay up with 52* then hit 52* from 102 into the wind to 4 ft

Make the putt for birdie - then walked off haha

I still go out and pay to play this dang game. How smart can I really be?

I am and I'm not at the same time. I like to think that most of the time I make the right decision but I feel like I still make a bad decision or two that cost me a couple strokes.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I am smart. I am a golfer. I’m not so sure I am a smart golfer, though. What fun is it if you don’t try something stupid every once in a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's just say it's an area of my game that needs more work but I'm trying

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, unfortunately I lack any type of ability.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Im sometimes not smart in that I always want to pull driver off the tee and that I still want to play blades, even though I probably dont have the game for them. Im smart in that I know when to sometimes lay up and go for the safe shot, have learned to use hybrids instead of long irons and have ditched blades in favor of super forgiving GI irons.

Oh hell no. I’ve proven to myself that most of the short courses I play, I’d score better just hitting nothing longer than 4i. Do you think I do that though? Nope!

I take pretty much every risk imaginable and unless it’s insane to do so (my definition of:)) I fire at every pin.

I’ll give myself a talking to every time it doesn’t work out, but I’ll have forgot about it by the next hole when I do it again.

But I have more fun playing that way which is why I do it. I plan to play a little smarter if conditions dictate it at Firestone as I do play smarter any time I’m playing group golf.

I realize my game has limitations so I rarely go for the hero shot. As a plodder, I tend to keep myself out of trouble and some say this equals 'smart'. I tend to think it's boring. Oh well, the goal is to get the ball from the tee box into the cup with the fewest swings possible.

Hell no. I can play smart for about 5 holes. Then I get bored or frustrated. By smart I mean picking the right club for the shot, going with the high percentage shot instead of the hero shot, focusing on every shot, taking my medicine, etc.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I usually have a solid plan in place for every shot I hit, I just run out of talent way too often. Pretty sure that means I’m not a smart golfer...

No. Hero shots everytime I'm in trouble. Execution rate is very low, but I don't really change.

Did save a bunch of money by switching to GEICO though. So that was smart.

Smarter than I used to be:
Keep the ball in play
Keep the ball going forward
Make your putts

I attempt to play smart golf, but unfortunately, I can’t execute as frequently as I would like.

I’d love to say yes but I know it’s a no haha

Always calculating but that doesn't necessarily equal smart, though.

I'm smart enough to know that a bad decision is in fact bad even though I'm gonna do it anyway.

I like this answer, I'll go with this!

I'd say I'm a smart golfer. I have fairly good strategy and tactics on the golf course. Unfortunately battle plans only survive first contact with the enemy.

I don't consider a 6 iron approach shot onto a green protected by two bunkers a hero shot if I know I can carry the bunkers. However if I'm 220 yds out from that green I'll shoot the flag with my rangefinder and hit the club that gives me a GW shot onto the green. This means I might hit a PW. Laugh all you want, but it'll take me two shots and I don't want to hit a partial LW over those bunkers.

I am a smart golfer that doesn’t always make the choice I know I should. Sometimes the heart just doesn’t want to play smart and wins out. I’d make a great caddy though haha

I am smart. I am a golfer. Seldom do the two things happen at the same time.

Not as smart as I should be. To many times lately I have gone for a par 5 in 2 and came away with bogey when an easy par or even birdie attempt would be in play by laying up.

I like to think I am a smart golfer, I play to my strengths and will rarely take on the low percentage shot unless I am just out practicing

Actually executing the shots is another matter though

Are You a Smart Golfer?

In terms of course management, I think it takes me an inordinate amount of time to figure out the best way to play holes.

If we’re talking equipment-wise, I think THP has educated me a lot, and I’m above-average in knowledge. Still got lots of room to learn though

Last edited:
Well, I've been playing since 1987, and still am not any good. Dumb? Stubborn? Eh, who knows.

I try to play conservative high percentage shots. I don't take many risks, since I don't have the "save" game to, errr...save the hole.

I enjoy golf, especially since I am embracing a philosophy of not keeping score.

If I am not a smart golfer but think I am, would I know? I might think I am making smart decisions but someone with more knowledge of the game might think they are terrible. And because I have flaws in my swing, sometimes I hit good shots I should not attempt and other times I hit bad shots that should be smart ones.

Do I study the game, how I should swing, how I should course manage? Absolutely. Do I have an IQ that is well above average? Yes, in fact I do. Does that correlate to low scores? Not even remotely. That inside out swing with the slightly closed to path clubface and swinging down, according to trackman, is actually an outside in 10.6 degree swing...so the execution is not there. So how does one determine smart when the knowledge is there but the execution is wildly off?

Back