Are You a Smart Golfer?

Haha. Funny.

Off the tee I can be. I love utilizing my hybrid on pretty much any Par 4 that is like 360 or less.

I tend to be conservative with staying below the hole on approach shots. Around the greens I usually keep it simple.

I’d like to manage the course a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In certain situations I think I am, but more than likely I can be a lot smarter.

.... Reminds me of Davis Love III's dad who gave the great advice "Never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Always follow a bad shot with a good shot".

I think I am a smart golfer. I used to try to overpower every course I played. Then I got older and wiser.
More course management, less hero shot attempts, worked hard on the short game and look at that...my ghin is improving!
But....I still pull bonehead moves from time to time. :banghead:

I'm trying to become one, if I'm in trouble, I take my medicine and just hit out to give myself a shot at the green, I'm trying to just play to fairways, greens and a 2-3 putt is ok! The one thing I can't seem to find is a tee club I have confidence in so laying up on tee shots isn't possible yet, once that happens maybe I could consider myself a smart golfer.

Haha nope definitely not a smart golfer. I pull driver too often, I play blades and I always go for the hero shot

I feel like I am. Off the course I try to be informed as I can be, on the course I’ve learned to let my ego go at times, but that’s the hard part. I love the hero shot

Nope, not something I will ever be accused of.

I'd like to think that, strategically, I am a smart player. Sadly that all comes to an end on par 3s. I can't help but attempt to attack the pin every time.

Glory favors the bold.

No I am not a smart golfer.

I'm done playing to a number. I'm enjoying the game a lot more just by hitting driver more often and trying to thread more needles.

Samesies.

Yes and no!! I will hit a club that I feel is best for me at the time, but not necessarily the best club for the hole or situation.

For example, I will hit driver on shorter holes with a lot of trouble in my landing zone because I'm hitting my driver really well that day
instead of hitting 3 Wood or Hybrid to stay short of it and leave a shortish shot into the green.

Plus most of the times I try and play smart I hit a bad shot anyway so why not be closer?

I'm wicked smaht!

I always know the smart play... but certainly don't always go that route.

Yes!! I know what I should do....However I also know what I want to do. Those are usually leaps and bounds apart. I'm getting better though haha.

Intelligence has no place in golf.

~Rock

1) Ball in play.

2) No two chips.

3) No three jacks.

Agree here.

Substantial compliance is the goal. If I can do that, and minimize/avoid the doubles or worse that follow, I feel like I'm playing smart golf.

I am really struggling with consistency off the tee. It has always been a problem. I just seem to be really left and right or topped short way too often in a round. My strokes gained off the tee to other 20 handicappers would be -4 or so and I would pick up a bunch of strokes around the green.

Not at all. 99% I just go for it... rarely ever take the smart/safe play. Probably hurts me way more times than it helps but oh well... doesn't bother me. Golf is supposed to be fun. Laying up isn't fun.

.... Reminds me of Davis Love III's dad who gave the great advice "Never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Always follow a bad shot with a good shot".

I thought that quote was "Never follow a bad shot with a dumb shot." Lol.

As age is becoming a factor, I'm much better than I used to be but still "go for it" more than I should.

I am not a smart golfer, and it is not for lack of trying. I have a tendency to over think things.
Unfortunately, I often play my best golf quickly. No practice swing or anything... just reactionary polo.
I'd be better off taking a chill pill and focusing but letting the results happen.

I've become a smarter golfer with age. I can't go for long par 4's in regulation any more, and forget about par 5's, so I've learned to lay up to a certain yardage, or to a good spot to pitch or chip from. It doesn't always work out, but the mental effort is there.

Intuition...no matter how hard the shot, if I have a good feeling or premonition...I am damn going for it! :golf3:

Forty plus years ago, my golf instructor preached COURSE MANAGEMENT at all my HS matches and club tournaments. I was young(er), invincible and full of teen machismo. I could drive the cover off the ball with my persimmon Power Bilt Driver, but typically end up in my “Twilight (short game) Zone.” Carl even took my Driver away, which helped.

Now that I’m older and potentially wiser, I still hear Carl, but now I pay attention. Even yesterday, I hit two “medicine shots” to get out of trouble smartly. While I no longer have the ability to (or worry about) “grip it ‘n rip it,” I now consider (though not always successfully achieve) shot placement and club selection.

Historically I would have said I was a conservative golfer rather than a smart golfer.
Recently I have read a fair bit about strokes gained following Mark Crossfields vlogs on the subject. It basically suggests to me the nearer you get to the hole the better your chance of success with the next shot on the premise you can keep it roughly within the confines of the hole you are playing. This suits me as I’m not long but relatively straight so I’ve adopted this approach recently and have some success on holes where previously I would have laid back off the tee and now have a much shorter shot in and saving a shot most of the time.
Don’t think that makes me a smart golfer as I can still three putt etc but maybe a better informed golfer?

Smarter than I once was, not as smart as I could be. The hero shot attempt occasionally wins the battle. For me, smart means checking my ego at the tee box. If I'm hitting the driver great, I tend to be confident enough to just rip it everywhere it is appropriate, but occasionally pull it on a hole I shouldn't regardless of accuracy or length that day. If I'm not hitting it well, checking my ego and pulling utility iron or 3W is very, very hard. I'm much better at that than I was a couple of years ago, but it takes a lot of discipline to watch your buddies pull driver and not do it yourself even if you may not have your A game off the tee that day.

Back