Are You a Smart Golfer?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Just as the title says. Could have a few different meanings but what do you think?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I know my limitations so I feel that I am a smart golfer even though it might not look that way at times with shots I'm trying to hit.

Nope. All heart no brains.

I really have no choice. Power is no longer part of my game so playing what I consider to be smart is my only choice!

Nope. My ability to make smart decisions and think about my score collectively rather than individual holes is terrible. I compound errors with poorly thought out hero shots.

Yes I am a smart golfer, but that’s not always the case when a challenge/bet on a shot comes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as the title says. Could have a few different meanings but what do you think?

I'm getting better at it. I'm recognizing my weaknesses and working on them at the practice range and trying to avoid them on the course. A lot smarter than I was a year ago. Last year was "go for it, go for it, go for it" regardless of the position I might leave myself. I'm actually starting to think my way around a hole, now. I don't know if I'm actually smart but I'm smarter.

It depends on who I am playing with sometimes. Generally though I try not to take to many chances so I would say yes I try to play smart golf.

I think I'm smart in terms of club and overall shot selection. But my weakness is the hero shot. I'm a sucker for trying to knock the ball on the green with my 3 iron through that 4 foot gap between two trees. I mean, punching it out and adding a stroke is for suckas, right? It hasn't happened yet, but an ER visit after a titleist careens off a tree and smacks me between the eyes - it's pretty much inevitable.

I would love to see a compilation of everyone's '3 rules to play smart golf'...

Always calculating but that doesn't necessarily equal smart, though.

I'm smart enough to know that a bad decision is in fact bad even though I'm gonna do it anyway.

I would love to see a compilation of everyone's '3 rules to play smart golf'...

1) Ball in play.

2) No two chips.

3) No three jacks.

Much more so than I used to be. I would say now I make the right shot decisions about 90% of the time. I just wish execution matched that %!

I'm learning to be. I'm practicing with a purpose as opposed to just hitting balls. I have a better understanding of what my various clubs can and can't do. I'm making better decisions on the course, knowing when to go for it and when to play it safe. My reading of greens really needs work,

Punch into the fairway for a wedge into the green or low slice 4 iron between trees to split the bunker. Option #2 please

Probably too smart! That is why I don't score any better when I move up a tee box! I tend to just hit shorter clubs off the tee to avoid trouble the shorter tees bring into play and I end up with similar approach distances as I have from the longer set of tees.

Working on getting better on course management and club selection instead of always going for it when I should not

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I played smarter golf the last two years but lately I've gone away from it and my scores have shown it. It's too much fun playing wreckless in casual rounds but I can turn it on in events usually.

Glory favors the bold.

No I am not a smart golfer.

I'm done playing to a number. I'm enjoying the game a lot more just by hitting driver more often and trying to thread more needles.

No, I'm not a smart golfer. I go for shots I know I shouldn't way to often.

I can, but it’s pretty boring. Yeah the score is better, but it’s not fun not taking chances

It sure doesn't feel that way.

Many have given their opinion that they consider me a very smart golfer, but here is the deal. The more you play and study the game the more knowledge and information you gather. Also, as your game improves course management decisions change dramatically. So do your expectations. So, there is much more opportunity to slip up.

Example: One golfer may hit a shot off a tee that lands on a side that opens up the green. Then hit his approach shot to 10 feet. Three others in the group may look at that and think the guy is a fricken genius. Yet the guy who hit those shots may be kicking himself for not paying attention to how the green slopes and leaving the ball on the wrong side.

See what I mean?

I’m conservative. Is that smart? Not sure.

I’m not a big hitter. I have to rely on my short game to score.

I take what the course gives me and rely on my game from 100y and in to win.

It’s not sexy like a 300y drive but it paid for my whole day at the course yesterday :)

Based on my skill level being smart means proper course management. I’m getting better at punching out into the fairway as opposed to going for it and only ending up 10 yards further and behind another tree! I think as my game evolves being smart will include reading greens and using course architecture to my advantage.

Regardless, it’s fun to be out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.
I just rarely hit the ball where I want to.

Back