2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Starting Strength pulls training camp today. worked up to a solid 445x5 deadlift and 205x3 power clean.

I'm feeling really good about the work put in.

I went to Starting Strength pulls training camp today. worked up to a solid 445x5 deadlift and 205x3 power clean.

I'm feeling really good about the work put in.

Any interesting tips or insights to share?

Any interesting tips or insights to share?
The key to squeezing the chest up, squeeze until the back is flat, not arched. It may loom different per person. But it's still chest up, not chest down. Also, be sure to take your valsalva as you're squeezing up.

Power cleans, make sure your knuckles of your hand are down. You should no see your fingers when you're over a clean.

I had to post this here. I'm extremely proud of my friend Emily.

21dfe4d8c3ee42a4cc7a25b5e1a61594.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wow. Emily looks like an impressive lifter.

I had to post this here. I'm extremely proud of my friend Emily.

21dfe4d8c3ee42a4cc7a25b5e1a61594.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Awesome for her!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feeling good about squats. Opener. PR. PR.

Bench was ugly. Not competition clean, but all the reps count in the gym.

Just the top ends.

Deads on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Yesterday was one of those days at the gym that was just, blah. I mean all my numbers were hit but I felt like crap the hole time.
Back/shoulders 4x8

Started with deadlifts @315

Also did DB shoulder press, DB rows, and lat pull downs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feeling good about squats. Opener. PR. PR.

Bench was ugly. Not competition clean, but all the reps count in the gym.

Just the top ends.

Deads on Wednesday.

Nice! When are you competing?

Nice! When are you competing?
I'm not planning on it. I just do this for me. My wife is short and little so she asks me to carry stuff, I need to stay fresh.

Been a little while since I have posted in here. Continuing to work with the instructor once a week while getting my individual workouts in 3-4 times a week.

A couple of guys in the group have tournaments this weekend so today's workout consisted of cardio, core work, resistance band work on strengthening the hips and finished with a lot of stretching in the upper body. Not as tough as usual workouts, but a good one regardless.

Been a little while since I have posted in here. Continuing to work with the instructor once a week while getting my individual workouts in 3-4 times a week.

A couple of guys in the group have tournaments this weekend so today's workout consisted of cardio, core work, resistance band work on strengthening the hips and finished with a lot of stretching in the upper body. Not as tough as usual workouts, but a good one regardless.
What are you doing for hip strength?

have not talked to my old buddy for awhile, glad to see your still working out at a good pace and staying in shape! hope to get a round or two I this summer with you! keep up the good "sweat"

Finally got over the stupid mental hurdle that was preventing me from deadlifting 3 plates.

Workout called for a heavy single, so I just threw the weight on there, threw my headphones in, and picked it up. Honestly, it didn't even feel super tough. Felt really good, as I'd been trying to get it done for such a long time, and had an injury along the way that basically had me reset.

#3Wheels

What are you doing for hip strength?
Using an elastic band around both legs above the knee, we laid on our side with legs bent at a 90 degree angle, together.

First exercise was opening the knees while keeping the feet together. Couple of sets and then flipped over on to other side.

Second set was in the same position, keep knees together, lifting top foot in the air as high you could while maintaining potion with knees. Did both sides.

Third set was keep feet slightly apart, doing the same motion as the first exercise. Worked both sides.

Last exercise was extending top leg as far back as we could behind us (as resistance band allowed), knees slightly apart - we lifted our top foot as high as we could while keeping the knee as still as possible.

have not talked to my old buddy for awhile, glad to see your still working out at a good pace and staying in shape! hope to get a round or two I this summer with you! keep up the good "sweat"
It has been awhile and just trying to keep up with you my friend. Keep working hard and I look forward to teeing it up a few times this summer.

There's a major golf publication that frequently shares this graphic. Everytime I see it, I cringe because I could not disagree more.

magazine-2013-11-maar01-fitness.jpg

There's a major golf publication that frequently shares this graphic. Everytime I see it, I cringe because I could not disagree more.

magazine-2013-11-maar01-fitness.jpg
Lol oh im fked then! Those lat pulldowns will destroy my game hahaha.

Hey nice vids btw, I thought the 3 screen format was pretty cool and of course prs are always sweet.

Lol oh im fked then! Those lat pulldowns will destroy my game hahaha.

Hey nice vids btw, I thought the 3 screen format was pretty cool and of course prs are always sweet.
No kidding. Why use an exercise that allows your scapula to move as nature intended when you can do a movement that make, most likely, shoulder surgery necessary.

Last edited:
No kidding. Why use an exercise that allows your scapula to move as nature intended when you can do a movement that make, most likely, shoulder surgery necessary.

Which one is bad for the shoulders? Cause I want to avoid that! Bad enough already!

Which one is bad for the shoulders? Cause I want to avoid that! Bad enough already!
High elbows row. It's essentially the same position as an upright row. It's what causes impingement. It's bad news.

And to be clear, I am not saying to do the lifts on the left of that graphic. I'm just saying the movements on the right side are dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back