Bridgestone
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your thoughts on using AI in the golf world?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckNasty View Post
    What other investments would Callaway need to make in AI? They already purchased the $5 million super computer required to perform such tasks, I’d imagine the only other investment/cost would be headcount-related with regards to engineers needed to develop simulation parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There would be A LOT more into the costs than just the super computer. I would say the hard and soft costs to fully bring the product from R and D to consumer is much higher. Besides the additional engineering and software coding, you would need additional legal, additional prototype testing (due to the changing face for each club from the standard norm), additional feasibility studies, design planning, and many other factors while still using AI in its beginning stages of golf manufacturing. Eventually, like many costs, some of these items will decrease. However, since the technology is so new you have much higher costs involved that you would not have if you remove the AI concept from the manufacturing procedures.

WITB:
    Driver:
    Rogue Draw 11° w/Even Flow ProjectX handcrafted 5.5 75G
    Fairway Woods: Epic 3+ Wood 13.5° w/Aldila Synergy R 50G and Rogue 4 Wood 17° w/ Aldila Synergy R 60G
    Hybrid: Rogue 4 20° Hybrid w/Aldila HY R 60G
    Irons: F9 ONE LENGTH 5 - AW w. Fujikura Atmos 6R One Length
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54° RTX-3 CB w/True Temper Dynamic Gold and Cleveland CBX 58° RTX-3 CB w/KBS Tour 90 R
    Putter 1: Marxman Stroke Lab
    Putter 2:Toulon Coming Soon
    Ball: Chrome Soft and ERC Triple Track

Proud to be a member of the 2019 Odyssey Experience Team

Nastiest Hater
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fuffle master View Post
    There would be A LOT more into the costs than just the super computer. I would say the hard and soft costs to fully bring the product from R and D to consumer is much higher. Besides the additional engineering and software coding, you would need additional legal, additional prototype testing (due to the changing face for each club from the standard norm), additional feasibility studies, design planning, and many other factors while still using AI in its beginning stages of golf manufacturing. Eventually, like many costs, some of these items will decrease. However, since the technology is so new you have much higher costs involved that you would not have if you remove the AI concept from the manufacturing procedures.

Would they not incur those type of costs using the traditional club-development techniques that other OEMs use and what they used prior to going the AI route? Wouldn’t prototype testing be cheaper than the historic approach as it is mostly being completely artificially now?

"Have Some" - BuckNasty

Driver - KING F9 Speedback 9° w/ ATMOS TS Black 7X
    3W - KING F9 Speedback 13.5° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    5W - KING F9 Speedback 17.5° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0
    4-GW Irons - KING F9 Speedback w/ Pro Modus3 Tour 120 Stiff
    Wedges - KING Black Wedge 54° Versatile & 58° WideLow w/ Dynamic Gold S200 Black
    Putter - Evnroll ER3 / Tommy Armour Impact No. 3
    Ball - Z-Star XV / Vice Pro
    Glove - Pur Tour / Vice Pure
    Shoe - Ignite PWRADAPT

Proud member of Team Hackers @ the 2019 Morgan Cup
    Special thanks to

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckNasty View Post
    Would they not incur those type of costs using the traditional club-development techniques that other OEMs use and what they used prior to going the AI route? Wouldn’t prototype testing be cheaper than the historic approach as it is mostly being completely artificially now?

Absolutely, would have similar costs. Just since the technology is new and moving from just a wood would have additional costs. Sure, if they did change anything and went with the same product if Epic Flash next year, then the additional cost would be minimal.

Trying the new technology into other products, some successful and others maybe not yet would incur additional costs.

WITB:
    Driver:
    Fairway Woods: Epic 3+ Wood 13.5° w/Aldila Synergy R 50G and Rogue 4 Wood 17° w/ Aldila Synergy R 60G
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54° RTX-3 CB w/True Temper Dynamic Gold and Cleveland CBX 58° RTX-3 CB w/KBS Tour 90 R

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuffle master For This Useful Post:

BuckNasty (06-19-2019)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    USGA 15.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,516 Posts
    AI is the wave of the future and it’s not going away. I think it will be used in the development of all hard goods.
    Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
    #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
    PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my Shadow Fuse or Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
    Driver: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    FW: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
    Hybrids: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
    Irons: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
    Wedges: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
    Putter: Toulon Memphis
    Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and ERC

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    AI or not there are limits on what the manufacturers can currently do in regards to what is and is not conforming, I just don't see there being much actual improvement in tech for quite a while. That's not to say that adjusability, and being able to get fit better for a club can't happen.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexped2393 View Post
    AI or not there are limits on what the manufacturers can currently do in regards to what is and is not conforming, I just don't see there being much actual improvement in tech for quite a while. That's not to say that adjusability, and being able to get fit better for a club can't happen.
    The same thing has been said for the 11 years of THP Existence yet we continue to see major strides.
    We even saw a change in actual testing from COR to CT, which yet again changed what could be done.

And when we move past drivers, which is what most focus on, the materials and manufacturing of irons has seen such staggering improvements in forgiveness. From hollow body irons with proper CG, to weight shifting capabilities by using heavier materials such as tungsten more commonly to actual irons that are merely a shell to create weight in only certain spots.

We are far from done in evolving process of design and each year we continue to see strides.
    In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood:
    JGR
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    Chrome Soft X

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

alexped2393 (06-20-2019), dazeedmonds (06-20-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    The same thing has been said for the 11 years of THP Existence yet we continue to see major strides.
    We even saw a change in actual testing from COR to CT, which yet again changed what could be done.

And when we move past drivers, which is what most focus on, the materials and manufacturing of irons has seen such staggering improvements in forgiveness. From hollow body irons with proper CG, to weight shifting capabilities by using heavier materials such as tungsten more commonly to actual irons that are merely a shell to create weight in only certain spots.

We are far from done in evolving process of design and each year we continue to see strides.
    Totally get that designs still may have a way to go and the process in coming up with said designs may change, but I haven't seen a big jump in driver performance for 4-5 years, for me that is. I think the new drivers make it easier to get fit into something that may work for you but if you are already maxed out with 4-5 year old gear then that's it.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65,983 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexped2393 View Post
    Totally get that designs still may have a way to go and the process in coming up with said designs may change, but I haven't seen a big jump in driver performance for 4-5 years, for me that is. I think the new drivers make it easier to get fit into something that may work for you but if you are already maxed out with 4-5 year old gear then that's it.
    Why would someone be maxed out?
    The only Max that currently exists is CT. Yet as we demonstrated in the THP Feature yesterday, speed at center impact is merely one aspect of distance. Distance is a combination of a number of things, with speed only being one of those numbers. While ball speed is still the king of those perimeters, it is still only one aspect. And I say this speaking only to drivers, where people seem to focus.

Yet in the last few years, there is zero doubt that technology has assisted more distance with both spin design and aerodynamics. Now heading down the path is CT and how its measured, here is equipment expert Michael Vrska explaining that.

That leaves so many other ways products can get better is impact locations for golfers are all different. Its why we struggle so much with the idea of telling someone Ball ABC is fastest, when that is only one part of the equation for distance (goes back to our feature yesterday on low compression helping a golfer). Just as telling someone Driver ABC is fastest, because that could be merely a product of length and weight.

AI or no AI, there are still many areas of development that exist. We have seen irons come so far in terms of distance and forgiveness without any sacrifice in size. A great example of that is hollow body, and frankly its only the beginning on those designs. The future is so bright in weight manipulation across the board as golfers embrace the new technologies that allow engineers to shave here, add here, etc. Here is another great video with one of the smartest men in golf, Mike Yagley, talking with @ddec about driver design and how it compares to his time designing aircrafts with Boeing.

In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood:
    JGR
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    Chrome Soft X

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

fuffle master (06-20-2019), KEV (06-20-2019)

feelz good 2 b a Gsta

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,460 Posts
    i think ai will definitely become the norm and impact all product lines, including soft goods.

the ability to work through so many more iterations in a rapid fashion will lead to better performance. i think the tech can be furthered by ongoing testing of real world golfers to better understand swing faults, as well as continuing to improve the software.

i really feel we are in the golden age of equipment designs. and i’m very grateful for companies who are willing to take these chances for the benefit of average joes like we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    awesomeness
    perfection
    innovation
    excellence
    brilliance
    pioneering
    leading
    redefining

Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Why would someone be maxed out?
    The only Max that currently exists is CT. Yet as we demonstrated in the THP Feature yesterday, speed at center impact is merely one aspect of distance. Distance is a combination of a number of things, with speed only being one of those numbers. While ball speed is still the king of those perimeters, it is still only one aspect. And I say this speaking only to drivers, where people seem to focus.

Yet in the last few years, there is zero doubt that technology has assisted more distance with both spin design and aerodynamics. Now heading down the path is CT and how its measured, here is equipment expert Michael Vrska explaining that.

That leaves so many other ways products can get better is impact locations for golfers are all different. Its why we struggle so much with the idea of telling someone Ball ABC is fastest, when that is only one part of the equation for distance (goes back to our feature yesterday on low compression helping a golfer). Just as telling someone Driver ABC is fastest, because that could be merely a product of length and weight.

AI or no AI, there are still many areas of development that exist. We have seen irons come so far in terms of distance and forgiveness without any sacrifice in size. A great example of that is hollow body, and frankly its only the beginning on those designs. The future is so bright in weight manipulation across the board as golfers embrace the new technologies that allow engineers to shave here, add here, etc. Here is another great video with one of the smartest men in golf, Mike Yagley, talking with @ddec about driver design and how it compares to his time designing aircrafts with Boeing.

I'll give the videos a watch tonight :), my views are only really from what I see when I go for a driver fitting. I haven't seen anything beat my X2 hot for me

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,832 Posts
    I can't wait to see how AI changes the industry going forward. I really think it could be one of the most revolutionary additions the industry has ever seen. Think about how many models a computer can produce vs. the traditionally strategy. Callaway AI produce over 15,000 models/designs for Flash. That's crazy and it was for only one club. I can't wait to see what it brings to irons in the future, especially considering what advances have been made recently without it.

Part of me believes that in the near future if your company doesn't have access to something like Callaway's super computer you're going to be left in the dust.
    Proud Team THP alum in #TheGrandaddy 2018

In my Alpha Convoy Grandaddy Cart Bag
    Driver:
    Epic Flash 10.5* w/ XT60
    3 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* w/ XT60
    5 Wood: Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* w/ XT60
    Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ 80HY
    Irons: Apex Pro 5-AW w/ Modus 3 Tour 105
    Wedges: 56* MD4, 60* PM Grind w/ Modus 3 Tour 120
    Putter: Azalea
    Golf Ball: Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Handicap
    6.2 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,354 Posts
    It's a timely question for me. I actually have an IBM presentation pulled up "IoT Market Outlook and Insights."
    IMG_1337.jpg

I started my new company all around Industry 4.0 and the Digital Transformation. A.I. is a major part of it. What we will start seeing is more technology like Arccos, where each and every golf swing on the course is recorded and processed in the cloud - in Arccos' case Microsoft Azure. These sensors will get smarter and not just utilize GPS - accelerator and gyroscope info will be introduced and pushed to the cloud. Before we know it, that data will be processed, analyzed and correlated and that data will be used to build a better golf club, help us with our big miss or help us get virtually fitted to a new set of golf clubs.

There is so much cool stuff going on right now.
    Rogue SZ 9 Deg Driver playing -1/N with HZRDUS T1100 6.5 Shaft
    Epic 3W
    716 T-MB 3i
    JPX 900 Forged 4i-PW
    Forged MD Wedges 52 Deg, bent to 49 Deg, 52 Deg bent to 54 deg, 60 Deg bent to 58 Deg
    BB1 Putter
    Snell MTB Ball.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wubears71 View Post
    It's a timely question for me. I actually have an IBM presentation pulled up "IoT Market Outlook and Insights."
    IMG_1337.jpg

I started my new company all around Industry 4.0 and the Digital Transformation. A.I. is a major part of it. What we will start seeing is more technology like Arccos, where each and every golf swing on the course is recorded and processed in the cloud - in Arccos' case Microsoft Azure. These sensors will get smarter and not just utilize GPS - accelerator and gyroscope info will be introduced and pushed to the cloud. Before we know it, that data will be processed, analyzed and correlated and that data will be used to build a better golf club, help us with our big miss or help us get virtually fitted to a new set of golf clubs.

There is so much cool stuff going on right now.
    In terms of data being used for golf swings, the Callaway people were not on board yet. They didn't believe the AI incorporation of products like Arccos would be mainstream to most golfers for some time. I directly asked about Callaway and Arccos and they asked back how many actually use that type of software? I believe more golfers will incorporate the swing analytics in time, but I also think it will be some time before products like Arccos are mainstream in every golfer's hands.

I do think AI is the way of the future, and will be surprised if we don't see the other OEM companies not incorporating the use of AI in club manufacturing over the next year or two.

WITB:
    Driver: