US Open Qualifying

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Longest day in golf is today. Here is a breakdown.

England: 120 for 14 spots
Columbus: 120/14
Springfield: 73/5
Fla: 56/3
Canada: 38/4
Maryland: 63/4
Ga: 67/4
NY: 73/4
Cali: 99/5
Wash: 55/3

I’m really curious about the FL sectional qualifier too. The course they picked is... interesting. Not only am I curious about the scores they shoot, but the players feedback on it too.

Anyone have a link to the live scoring?

• Admin
I’m really curious about the FL sectional qualifier too. The course they picked is... interesting. Not only am I curious about the scores they shoot, but the players feedback on it too.

I didn't get that selection at all.

I didn't get that selection at all.

Agreed. I laughed and said oh yeah, totally wasn’t a bit of pocket lining for that pick... I’m sure it’s based on its merit and for its excellent playiohwhoamIkidding.

Agreed. I laughed and said oh yeah, totally wasn’t a bit of pocket lining for that pick... I’m sure it’s based on its merit and for its excellent playiohwhoamIkidding.

What’s the course and why is it “interesting”

• Admin
Is it that bad? I know many are "either for it or against it" but never really understood why.

here is the link for those interested in following along

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/sectional.html

I don't think its as bad as Mward does, but it doesn't make much sense from US Open qualifying, other than to see if you can piss off the most people, like the US Open usually does. Land locked, hard to get to, and weather, when there are coastal courses all over the state that are better.

Longest day in golf is today. Here is a breakdown.

England: 120 for 14 spots
Columbus: 120/14
Springfield: 73/5
Fla: 56/3
Canada: 38/4
Maryland: 63/4
Ga: 67/4
NY: 73/4
Cali: 99/5
Wash: 55/3

That Columbus location is usually loaded with tour pros who haven’t qualified yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean....I know who I’M ROOTING for out of this Ohio qualifier
fa17c3ed508adc99b99b05e4b13f8ee1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it that bad? I know many are "either for it or against it" but never really understood why.

here is the link for those interested in following along

https://www.usopen.com/qualifying/sectional.html

So they built the course and finished it in 2017, didn’t open it till 2018 so the grass had time to root and all that. So they opened this Gil Hanse designed turd, and it’s just overly tricked out. There’s using slopes and stuff to give the golfer options to get a ball close, and then there’s this. I missed a green left by about 4-5yds on the back 9 and it funneled down to 3ft. Another hole, the caddie’s line into a green was “aim left fringe, it’s easier to get it close that way than trying to hit a mid iron to the moon and it still not stop.”

As far as the greens, even the caddie said he’s been on the course since it’s opened and almost a year in, I still don’t know how half these putts break inside 5ft.

Another fun design is the sand. Greenside, one type of sand. Waste bunker, another. The sands are not consistent. The fairway bunkers also bleed into the greenside bunkers, so you have inconsistency. To top it off, you can ground in the waste bunkers, not in the green (obviously) so now the question is, where is the distinction between waste and greenside? Oh it doesn’t matter, since they bled into each other anyway, the greenside sand is **** and it’s like trying to play out of beach sand. Have fun.

I’ll be surprised at the scores that come in, that’s for sure.

I don't think its as bad as Mward does, but it doesn't make much sense from US Open qualifying, other than to see if you can piss off the most people, like the US Open usually does. Land locked, hard to get to, and weather, when there are coastal courses all over the state that are better.

You must have got better conditions than I did. I really like the red and blue though, a lot. Better architects I guess.

Surprised to see that Scioto Country Club is being used this year. I wish I could have gone out today to watch since I don't live too far from Brookside and getting to see Scioto is a rare opportunity.

I think I heard them mention on the Golf Channel this morning that Scioto might wind up getting more visibility for events. Hosting the US Senior Open a few years ago and now the US Open qualifying is a step in the right direction. Would be nice to see another tournament event show up in some form in the future.

I've got my eyes on the NY qualifier. Matt Parziale is a local guy, was the 2017 US Mid-Am champ and got low Am at last year's US Open. He's currently T1 after the morning round. That qualifier is pretty tough, 73 players for only 4 spots! He's at -2, and -1 is 6 guys tied for 3rd right now.

I've got my eyes on the NY qualifier. Matt Parziale is a local guy, was the 2017 US Mid-Am champ and got low Am at last year's US Open. He's currently T1 after the morning round. That qualifier is pretty tough, 73 players for only 4 spots! He's at -2, and -1 is 6 guys tied for 3rd right now.

Very cool, rooting for him as well

I’ve heard not good things about all three but specifically the black

Weird

Well to be frank, they’re hard courses. They have super sloped greens and multi tiers on a lot of them. It takes a bit to get used to them.

The black just didn’t seem to be maintained quite to the level of the others, and that was a disappointment to say the least.

in qualifying-related news, Mike Weir (!) managed to finish T5 in the Dallas sectional a few weeks ago, Nick Taylor finished T1, both qualify for the US Open

Well to be frank, they’re hard courses. They have super sloped greens and multi tiers on a lot of them. It takes a bit to get used to them.

The black just didn’t seem to be maintained quite to the level of the others, and that was a disappointment to say the least.

Wow now that last part is shocking

Surprised to see that Scioto Country Club is being used this year. I wish I could have gone out today to watch since I don't live too far from Brookside and getting to see Scioto is a rare opportunity.

I think I heard them mention on the Golf Channel this morning that Scioto might wind up getting more visibility for events. Hosting the US Senior Open a few years ago and now the US Open qualifying is a step in the right direction. Would be nice to see another tournament event show up in some form in the future.

A lot of big names here too.

Kevin Streelman and Bud Cauley coming off strong finishes at the Memorial seem to be struggling with Scioto today at +5

Qualifying at Woodmont CC, MD

I'm diggin the guys name in the lead so far .... Cody "Prov1"eaux :act-up:

USOPEN.jpg

Man I hate when they only update after 9 holes. Following the Southern CA qualifying closely

Back