Tour Edge Lady Edge, Strata, etc. for beginner set for Fiance?

El Jefe 92

Reaction score
Handicap
First time poster, long time lurker. Need some advice buying my fiance her first set of clubs. First off, she is just starting so I only need a beginner set. If it were me, I'd go on eBay and build a set but I'm going to be honest, she cares what they look like and it'll be easier to just buy her a complete beginner set. She is 5'2. I measured her and a standard ladies flex is what fits her. I know having her go test clubs is the best choice but that isn't an option right now. Which of the following would you guys recommend:

Tour Edge Lady Edge 7 club set for $250

2019 Lady Callaway Strata 7 club set $225

2016 Lady Callaway Solaire 7 club set for around $400 with shipping on eBay.

I know I'm probably over thinking this but I want to get her a set she can game for a couple years. I know the 2016 Callaway Solaire set was better quality at one point but after 3-4 years, has the beginner sets caught up to the quality this Solaire set??? Trying to figure out if the extra money for the Solaire's are worth it or just get one of the beginner sets?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions!

Both of those are pretty good sets. All three of them actually.
There is a coupon on our home page that gives 15% off at Budget Golf, who has some solid prices on ladies golf sets.

Both of those are pretty good sets. All three of them actually.
There is a coupon on our home page that gives 15% off at Budget Golf, who has some solid prices on ladies golf sets.

I've used Budget Golf and this code to set my girlfriend up with a pretty good bag. Cobra driver and 3w. M2 hybrid. Adams irons and a putter. All in I'm probably over your $250 bags and around the $400 price of the used clubs. These are new clubs (just not the newest models) and you cannot beat the prices.

She loves her set up and has been even practicing more lately.

I started with the tour edge and out grew it in my first year. Some of my golfing friends have the strata and are very happy with it. They have all replaced their drivers this year however. It's not the most forgiving club.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I'm sure in the beginner set category, the club quality is probably pretty similar. I appreciate everyone reaching out. I've read the driver that comes with the Strata set isn't the greatest so I may choose the Tour Edge set just because of that.

Anyone have any experience with the Solaires that could compare to the others? Is it worth the extra money for a beginner? She liked the look over those the best LOL...go figure.

And thank you JB for letting me know about the coupon code.

My wife plays about 4 times a year. We played in Hawaii last year and she rented the Callaway set. She immediately purchased those when we got back and wants to play more golf. She is about the same height. Just thought I would share since she loves the Callaway solaire set so much. Looked to me it was worth the price. Came with a decent putter and bag too. It looks nice and light weight as well. Also likes that it came with a rain fly. Can't have spiders getting in your golf bag out in the garage she says. Hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've used Budget Golf and this code to set my girlfriend up with a pretty good bag. Cobra driver and 3w. M2 hybrid. Adams irons and a putter. All in I'm probably over your $250 bags and around the $400 price of the used clubs. These are new clubs (just not the newest models) and you cannot beat the prices.

She loves her set up and has been even practicing more lately.

Much appreciated!

I went on Budget Golf but not much for irons that are reasonable right now in the ladies department. Has anyone used Gigagolf before??? I'm seeing they have some relatively cheap irons. This may be a reasonable way to build her a set. I don't want to buy used. For me it wouldn't matter but for her first set I want it to be new so she is more excited about it the idea of swinging new shiny clubs.

It looks like I can get a few irons, a hybrid, fairway wood, driver, bag and putter for under $400 new if I use Gigagolf for the irons, hybrid and wood.

Much appreciated!

I went on Budget Golf but not much for irons that are reasonable right now in the ladies department. Has anyone used Gigagolf before??? I'm seeing they have some relatively cheap irons. This may be a reasonable way to build her a set. I don't want to buy used. For me it wouldn't matter but for her first set I want it to be new so she is more excited about it the idea of swinging new shiny clubs.

It looks like I can get a few irons, a hybrid, fairway wood, driver, bag and putter for under $400 new if I use Gigagolf for the irons, hybrid and wood.

I bought an iron set from Giga for my son quite a few years ago as a beginner set. Standard fitting for his height and arm length. Decent clubs and they were just fine for him, he loved them and still has them. No resale value to speak of but that wasn't important to us. Hope that helps...

We bought some Strata sets for rentals at our course and the quality is pretty low I would stay away from those.

We bought some Strata sets for rentals at our course and the quality is pretty low I would stay away from those.

Thank you! This is what I was wanting to hear. I greatly appreciate your input!

I bought an iron set from Giga for my son quite a few years ago as a beginner set. Standard fitting for his height and arm length. Decent clubs and they were just fine for him, he loved them and still has them. No resale value to speak of but that wasn't important to us. Hope that helps...

Good to know. It'll be low cost anyway so not overly worried about resale. Sounds like I'd be better off going this route than entry level Strata's. Your input is greatly appreciated!

Back