JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Very good read. Personally I thought the entire thing was overblown.

The sad state of things.

The only sexist in this kerfuffle is Christine Brennan.

I'm more concerned that he couldn't name 6 professional women golfers. He represents Callaway and is supposed to be an Ambassador for the company and for the game.

There have been a number of conversations on the forum about the latest outrage. I found this article on the other side of the spectrum a very good read.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/hank-haney-suspended-in-latest-outrage-mob-absurdity/

Clay Travis often takes the common sense view on topics, and I agree with him here. I think most of the objection to Haney's comments amount to virtue signaling to the world how inclusive and egalitarian you are. Some people say that Haney shouldn't have said it because of his stature in the game. To me he's just a swing coach. I've never seen him as having any kind of elder statesman cache, but I could be wrong. If Jack had said, it would've been rude (still not racist or sexist).

I think, considering his current position, he was a little blasé with his comments but I doubt he was being racist / sexist with his comments. I think he was just trying to be glib!!

I'm more concerned that he couldn't name 6 professional women golfers. He represents Callaway and is supposed to be an Ambassador for the company and for the game.

This is my take. His comments on Korean golfers is so cliche and unoriginal I look past it. His willingness to admit to the fact he knows nothing about the LPGA however is inexcusable.

Why does everyone think he should be able to name 6 LPGA golfers?

Because he is paid to commentate on golf.

The best part of the article linked (despite many not reading it) in the first post is that Brennan hasn't written a single piece on the LPGA.

But is he paid to commentate on the LPGA? Serious question as I've never listened to his show. Does he talk about the Web.com tour as well?

No, he's being paid to host a radio show that gets ratings. There's a reason that national sports talk shows only focus on the Dallas Cowboys, LeBron James, Tiger Woods, etc. Because that is what people want to hear. I'm guessing he doesn't know much about the Web.com Tour either. He's not Mike Tirico.

Why does everyone think he should be able to name 6 LPGA golfers?

Because he has a talk show about professional golf, and is a brand ambassador for a brand that currently sponsors 10 or so women on the LPGA.

The best part of the article linked (despite many not reading it) in the first post is that Brennan hasn't written a single piece on the LPGA.

She is clearly out of her mind with what she is demanding but that doesn't also mean that Haney shouldn't be taken to task for being an asshole.

****, even Tiger said he got what was coming to him.

Because he has a talk show about professional golf, and is a brand ambassador for a brand that currently sponsors 10 or so women on the LPGA.

And the winner of the US Open no less.

She is clearly out of her mind with what she is demanding but that doesn't also mean that Haney shouldn't be taken to task for being an asshole.

Because, yeah, Tiger is objective lol

You mean the guy he fired as a coach? Shocking...

but SiriusXM/PGA Radio can do what they want, until I disagree with it!

it was a tasteless joke in the vein of "they all look the same"

Tiger said he deserved it, and Haney apologized, and he hasn't "lost his job" as the opinion piece says, he'll be back, calm down people

Tiger's acts were certainly worse than Haney's words yet Tiger didn't lose his job. He should know better than to offer an opinion.

Tiger said he deserved it, and Haney apologized, and he hasn't "lost his job" as the opinion piece says, he'll be back, calm down people

Except he didn't say that. Some interpreted it as that, but nothing about what he actually said was "they all look the same".

He does talk about professional golf. And do you really believe that being a brand ambassador (i.e. human billboard) means he's supposed to be studying up on the LPGA?

Pretty much this. He basically dismissed the whole tour and said well it some Korean named Kim. As someone who is an ambassador of one of the largest OEM in golf and host a show about golf to promote the game, it wasn't his brightest idea, but then again that is who he is.

He does talk about professional golf. And do you really believe that being a brand ambassador (i.e. human billboard) means he's supposed studying up on the LPGA?

No but if you are a walking billboard for a company that sponsors said organization and women named Lee and other Korean players you might want to not down play them. Companies tend to not like people they pay to make them look good, talking crap about their athletes.

Here is my take...

What he said was not untrue, but dumb. If it was a discussion had privately then sure, go ahead. But if you are on the radio and saying that... how do you not know in this day and age that it is not going to be taken poorly?

But that article is something else, guy said something dumb, he isn't proposing genocide. And this is the problem with the current outrage culture, everything is the worst thing that ever happened, even if it isn't the worst thing happening in the last 5 seconds.

Back