Ball Fitting: What Would You Like to Know?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of golf ball talk online the last month or so, some of it accurate, some of it a bit off. We want to be able to help you understand golf balls, fitting and finding the best one for you. So here is your chance. Ask anything you want about golf balls and fitting and we are going to get a myriad of people to answer your questions in some form or another. Some of it might be already available in which case, we can give that info here as well.

There are a TON of great ball options out there, and as you said, tons of information, for better or worse.

I wish I could get a ball fitting that encompassed all the brands and truly know what ball is best for my game and swing. I just don’t know if I will ever know conclusively.

Look forward to following along here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Soft really equal short? im just joking

why do some balls fly better in the wind? If it is a dimple design why do all companies not use those same dimples?

I play the z star and lately the titelist tour soft. Both balls balls seem to play well from tee to Green for me. Is there a more economical ball anyone would suggest that is anywhere close to these two? I appreciate the green side control of both balls. I could not go to a ball that would roll out way more the these two. Anyway. I always am looking and trying things. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Probably most asked golf ball question I have ever gotten since my fitting is when should you stop using a ball bc of some kind of damage (i.e. hitting a tree or cart path).

Would be nice to maybe get a consensus from experts.

• Admin
I play the z star and lately the titelist tour soft. Both balls balls seem to play well from tee to Green for me. Is there a more economical ball anyone would suggest that is anywhere close to these two? I appreciate the green side control of both balls. I could not go to a ball that would roll out way more the these two. Anyway. I always am looking and trying things. Thanks!

The Tour Soft is a two piece surlyn covered ball. If you are getting great green side control and spin with those, you can probably try out any number of balls and do just fine. You could also look at the Srixon Q-Star Tour as a 3 piece urethane covered ball under $30.

There are a TON of great ball options out there, and as you said, tons of information, for better or worse.

I wish I could get a ball fitting that encompassed all the brands and truly know what ball is best for my game and swing. I just don’t know if I will ever know conclusively.

Look forward to following along here.

This was going to be pretty much my question. As a high HC player with terrible spin on drives where or how can I get fit into the right ball no matter the manufacturer. I want to go to 1 place and try multiple different brands and figure out which one works for me. To add onto it is there actually a ball that can have good greenside control and decent feel off irons and the tee that reduces side spin?

Can an average swing speed player benefit from a ball that is 5 layers? Is it true you have to have a faster swing speed in order to compress the ball enough to get all the benefits out of a TP5 or TP5x ball from TaylorMade? Or is that a common misnomer? 95 mph swing can reach the core of a 5-layer golf ball just as easy as a 115 mph swing?

What kind of negative impact would it have on an average golfer, say 10-18 handicap, if they switch balls they use on a fairly regular basis?

If you're a high hcpr does it even really mater what ball you play? Without having a consistent swing and impact should you even bother playing just one ball vs whatever happens to be in the bag?

Just an FYI if interested - all Srixon balls are currently offering a BOGO sale, which would equate to $20 a dozen for the current generation Z Star and Z Star XV.

Just an FYI if interested - all Srixon balls are currently offering a BOGO sale, which would equate to $20 a dozen for the current generation Z Star and Z Star XV.

This interests me, now to figure out which ball to use as a high HC golfer.

At what point of performance and price, do you find the optimal golf ball? Besides going somewhere and doing a ball fitting, what should the average golfer look for? What golf balls will give you the performance you are looking for, and what golf balls will hurt your performance?

Tolerance of tolerances and standards in the golf industry always interests me. I overthink too much and are golf balls balanced properly?
I've always wondered if doing a saltwater float or some spin balance would be worth doing for an amateur.

Also when you get into fitting. What is the difference between tour balls and balls used on tour. If a player gets them customized I assume it is more than personalization.
Is the quality control just filtered better, or re-filtered? Are different materials or methods being used to manufacture?

And also, you can add me to the... how much scuffing and abuse should I game? At this point of the season, gas and golf balls are my main expense.

I used this to purchase the Q star tour. Thanks! Looking forward to playing these against the z star and tour soft. This is a great thread. Looking forward to reading more posts from people tonight.

I know that it has been discussed that the 2018 Chromesoft X is different from the latest Chromesoft X TTT. I used the new CSX TTT this weekend and was hitting drives like I could not believe and love the TTT for putting. This ball may be my go to now. My question is, what are the specifics regarding the differences from the older CSX?

The test put out there recently gave CSX lesser performance vs Pro V1x, MTBx, etc. I put both the Pro V1x and MTBx against the new CSX TTT and the CSX TTT was consistently longer and was great to putt with - I really liked the way it reacted off wedge as well. Obviously this was a personal experience this weekend, but I am very curious to know all the details of what is different in the newer CSX TTT vs 2018 CSX.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Tolerance of tolerances and standards in the golf industry always interests me. I overthink too much and are golf balls balanced properly?
I've always wondered if doing a saltwater float or some spin balance would be worth doing for an amateur.

Also when you get into fitting. What is the difference between tour balls and balls used on tour. If a player gets them customized I assume it is more than personalization.
Is the quality control just filtered better, or re-filtered? Are different materials or methods being used to manufacture?

And also, you can add me to the... how much scuffing and abuse should I game? At this point of the season, gas and golf balls are my main expense.

I can't speak to other brands but after getting a tour of the Bridgestone factory, their Quality Control standards are amazing. The ball the pros play are the same ball you would buy off the shelf. As for materials they use a "mix" for each level of their balls but even the plant manager doesn't know what materials it necessarily is. Secrecy is pretty high in the factory. As for the standards of golf balls, I posted up a review that talked about some that the R&A and USGA use for standards. My only gripe about Bridgestone (or any high tier ball company) is the price point but there are many deals to be had. Example, Budget Golf you can use the 15% code for Bridgestone balls but not Srixon (my previous ball) so they come out to be $2 cheaper.

Ooh, ooh, I’m being ball fit at the Bridgestone event at Firestone Country Club. I have a suspicion that I’ll be a perfect candidate for the TourB RX, but I’m going in with a 100% open mind and I’ll let the experts be the experts.

What I want to know is if the long game spin is reduced enough to justify the small amount of short game control I’ll get by going with a “spinnier” ball in the lineup, like the TourB RXS (Tiger’s ball).

I “think” I know the answer to that, and that once my moon ball ball flight is factored in, they’ll come to the same conclusion. But... I have an open mind. Downwind, I love spinny balls. Into the wind, I can see 50+ yards difference with driver with a ball that I feel is more suited to me.

Like I said, open mind and I’ll let the experts be the experts. I’ve never figured out why I spin the ball so dang much, so that answer intrigues me as much as anything. With driver I hit up on the ball, which should reduce that. Maybe it’s the “flip” I do when I realize I’m too open and about to go two holes right? Maybe it’s me trying to change the plain of the swing when I realize I’m going two fairways left? I want some answers and I know that the folks at Bridgestone can provide that.

I’m intrigued and I can’t wait for some answers from folks that know what the hell they’re doing.

I am open to the Bridgestone fitting as I play with a lot of options. Z star / Z star XV / Q-star Tour / Q Star / Pro V / Pro V 1x / Velocity / Maxfli Tour U6 (X, soft, tour). I am truly looking forward to identifying a preferred ball. I need distance as I am not long by any means. I also like wedge shots and <50 yards to check up rather than run out. Soft off the putter is also key. I can see e12 or RX in my future. either way the experience will be amazing.

I know that it has been discussed that the 2018 Chromesoft X is different from the latest Chromesoft X TTT. I used the new CSX TTT this weekend and was hitting drives like I could not believe and love the TTT for putting. This ball may be my go to now. My question is, what are the specifics regarding the differences from the older CSX?

The test put out there recently gave CSX lesser performance vs Pro V1x, MTBx, etc. I put both the Pro V1x and MTBx against the new CSX TTT and the CSX was consistently longer and was great to putt with - I really liked the way it reacted off wedge as well. Obviously this was a personal experience this weekend, but I am very curious to know all the details of what is different in the newer CSX TTT vs 2018 CSX.

Thanks for your time.

I don't know the difference in specs either, but my experience mirrors yours in terms of the CSX TT off driver.

Can't wait to see what ball I get fit in to at the Bridgestone event as well. I am not a long hitter and driver spin is good for me but on all irons I test I struggle to get any spin and would like more in this area.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

I don't know the difference in specs either, but my experience mirrors yours in terms of the CSX TT off driver.

Same for me with the CSxTT. Long and holds greens. I put it up against the Snell MTBx and ProV1x. Close but I still prefer the feel of the CSxTT. This brings me to my question, the test that was done claimed that feel wasn’t or shouldn’t be a component and meant nothing. For me I think this couldn’t be further from the truth. I for one cant stand a rock hard ball. Off the tee or the putter. I’d like to know what the experts think of the feel issue and what % of the equation of fitting it should be?

How can you perform an accurate self fit?

What am I looking for apart from spin numbers, launch angle and carry distance with driver?

Thanks in advance

I think the confusion can arise as how various companies have their own fitting criteria. Bridgestone, for example, used to tout the ball speed message, but it's now based on skill level. I wonder what the implications are of a higher handicapper playing one of their X balls.

With Titleist I do see it as pretty clear cut where player who have skin to shave can gravitate to the AVX, whereas players that need more stopping power will be pushed into the V1X.

Callaway, to be perfectly clear, I'm not real educated on what would be the ideal. Part of that is on me since I'm a little behind on their podcasts, but would be good to know, particularly with the various CSX balls, and the standard CS.

Same for me with the CSxTT. Long and holds greens. I put it up against the Snell MTBx and ProV1x. Close but I still prefer the feel of the CSxTT. This brings me to my question, the test that was done claimed that feel wasn’t or shouldn’t be a component and meant nothing. For me I think this couldn’t be further from the truth. I for one cant stand a rock hard ball. Off the tee or the putter. I’d like to know what the experts think of the feel issue and what % of the equation of fitting it should be?

In our Titleist fitting, we were instructed to try and leave feel out of the equation as much as we could. That was made easier because, even for an inconsistent player like me, the numbers showed a clear tendency with the harder V1X helping me on my approaches. Without #s and an expert guiding me I wouldn't have looked at the V1X.

But that a huge reason me holding off on the ERC and waiting for the CSXTT. That added spin into greens is a plus.

Back