BBQ Seasonings - What do you use?

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I shed a little tear on Sunday when I used the last of some Kirkland Sweet Mesquite seasoning on some chicken thighs and am now on the hunt for another tasty rub.

This stuff was never available in Canada and I don't even know if it is still available in the US, which is a bit of a loss. Say what you will about Kirkland spices, but this stuff had a really nice sweet/savoury mix to it that went very well on many things.

So now, what does everyone use that they can recommend? I see the Meat Church products used everywhere on Instagram but I might as well sell my truck to buy those up here, so what else is there?

I am typically a salt + pepper + garlic + onion person, and have concocted rubs from recipes or freehand, but sometimes you just can't beat store bought mixes.

Search online for a recipe that sounds good to you. Make a small batch and adjust until it gets to your liking.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Depends what I'm making. If it's ribs, just salt and BBQ sauce. Last night I made the most delicious knife and fork baby backs I've had in a long time. Don't pay attention to the presentation, I had left over paper plates and such from last weeks bbq.

As far as sauces go, I'm not big on making my own, but rather pick up bottles from joints around the country. When in a pinch, Sweet Baby Rays always wins the grocery store aisle.

I believe this to be true for almost everything: good meat requires nothing but salt.

IMG-20190602-181423.jpg

I generally make my own now. Can make great rubs out of just salt and pepper plus a few other things. I have bought some pre made and use Adkins stuff.

I use the traeger rubs as well.

Brisket I am a simple salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Ribs I do 2 to 1 pepper and salt with some garlis powder, paprika, chili powder, little mustard powder.

Pork butt..... generally whatever, I don't do it often.

Buying pre made rubs gets expensive though. You might experiment on your own if you havent tried.

Meat church is here in texas, maybe I can find some for you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mike’s magic dust is a good place to start and I adjusted it a little to get it to taste they way I like.

I use a Safeway house brand sweet & smoky rub when I can find it. Great on beef

Also have a citrus herb seasoning from McCormick that is awesome on chicken

I use my own Blend of spices on pork shoulder and tri tip. My friends have named it “Dave’s dirty butt rub”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make my own to cut down on the amount of salt and paprika and to bump the things I like. For pork, it’s black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, salt, paprika, granulated garlic and onion, ground chili and cumin, dry mustard, a little sage and ground bay leaves with some turbinado sugar. Beef is black pepper, garlic, salt and a little onion.

Amazing ribs.com is a great bbq resource with some great jumping off point recipes. The rest is up to you to fiddle with it to find what you like.

Anything from Oakridge BBQ and Naturiffic are top notch. I used to make my own, but these are so good and easy.

I'm about 50/50 on rubs making my own or store bought. Sauce is a little different because of the different ingredients needed so I generally use store bought sauce but I use different sauces for different meats. One tip I got from a team that was competing in Memphis in May was to use sugar, and honey that are ground fine.

I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub for ribs and pork butt

For brisket and beef, Meat Church Holy Cow. Buddy recommends Meat Church Gospel, so I'm going to try that next.

If I do not have time to make my own, or being lazy, I use Willinham's rub.

Willinghams.com

I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub for ribs and pork butt

For brisket and beef, Meat Church Holy Cow. Buddy recommends Meat Church Gospel, so I'm going to try that next.

When I don't make my own, I will often use Meat Church Gospel. Good stuff!

When I don't make my own, I will often use Meat Church Gospel. Good stuff!
I follow a hashtag on Instagram and there are tons of people that use that. It must be good. I might need to try it out.

My local Ace Hardware carries Meat Church along with some other good ones. I also saw above Oakridge BBQ recommended; their Black Ops is what I use on brisket. They make some killer seasonings.

My local Ace Hardware carries Meat Church along with some other good ones. I also saw above Oakridge BBQ recommended; their Black Ops is what I use on brisket. They make some killer seasonings.

Ace carries that? Good to know

Ace carries that? Good to know

Not really sure if it is nationwide. The Ace by my house has lots of grills/pellets/rubs/sauces and that is where I picked it up.

Hey all - I'd like to "piggyback" onto the bbq seasonings thread (pun intended). I'm gonna smoke 4 pork butts on Friday night for a grad party on Saturday. I plan to make a western carolina sauce and wanted to offer something else as well... I'd don't mind store bought, generally I go with Stubbs or a Weber brand. What y'all like?

Hey all - I'd like to "piggyback" onto the bbq seasonings thread (pun intended). I'm gonna smoke 4 pork butts on Friday night for a grad party on Saturday. I plan to make a western carolina sauce and wanted to offer something else as well... I'd don't mind store bought, generally I go with Stubbs or a Weber brand. What y'all like?

Dave's dirty butt rub - a mixing of my own creation

Cayenne
chili powder
Smoked paprika
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
salt (only for pork butt, if im using this on beef, I do not add salt to the rub and instead rub in coarse kosher salt directly onto the beef)
celery seed
rosemary
ground mustard

i do not have specific portions, I just pour into a bowl until it looks sufficient, then mix it all up

Off the shelf, my favorite is Gates regular it is more pepper and vinegar and not sweet. If you like sweet, Famous Dave’s Sweet and Sassy has just the right kick for me.

I have family in Houston... they mail me “Ruby’s Rub”

Soooooo good

Thanks for advice guys. I have a big canister of Bad Byrons Butt Rub for ahead of smoking. I think I'll get some Stubb's Sweet Heat and maybe another bottle of something a little more traditional... with the homemade carolina sauce three options should be enough...

Thanks for advice guys. I have a big canister of Bad Byrons Butt Rub for ahead of smoking. I think I'll get some Stubb's Sweet Heat and maybe another bottle of something a little more traditional... with the homemade carolina sauce three options should be enough...

Byrons Butt Rub is good stuff.

Homemade blend for me

Back