Play & Posting for Handicap

Awstyn

Reaction score
Handicap
Been thinking about it for a month now. I play more rounds than I post. It upsets me.
League is league, it is nine holes and scores are combined. Fine with it, and it serves the purpose for which it was established for.

I have a few weekly games. Monday night (tonight) I have a skins game. We will play 9, and likely carry on until dark. We played extra holes after league last week as well.
In the skins game it is not uncommon for people to pick up, or want you to pick up after you're out of the hole. Makes a posting score hard to do.

Yesterday, I was invited to play with my father and some family friends. Was really looking forward to the round. When we made the turn, someone went off the back nine and play came to a halt on the 12th hole, so we skipped some holes and jumped ahead to open play. I also play a fair amount on my own, and as a single I don't like to push people. I practice putting after finishing the hole quite a bit in those cases, or just play two balls, as long as no one is behind me. Bouncing around or doing extra play, isn't a complaint, it just becomes more enjoyable for me and those I'm with at times.

I wish to improve and a part of that is knowing where you're at. I tee off with the best of intentions and it just feels like circumstances, or playing style (skins, given putts) drifts off into practice round mentality too often. It is damn easy to come up with an excuse if I'm playing good or poorly. I'm kinda a psycho scorer to begin with.

Should I play to post? Should I post when solo? I'm not making a living off this game, that's for sure, but what's right?

I assume you are talking about a USGA Handicap Index. The rules of that system are quite clear. No posting solo rounds. Period.

If you post solo round scores you are keeping a false handicap. Whether it's sandbagging, vanity 'capping or just plain ignoring the rules it's still not your real handicap.

Up to you to decide if you care whether you follow the rules or not.

I understand the view on solo rounds. For me, if I'm playing by the rules I don't have an issue with posting without witness and carrying a fake handicap. I actually believe it to be a better reflection of my ability.

My bigger concern is that by posting scores or playing different game types (match play or skins games) or bouncing around and not playing a round of golf for reasons of enjoyment, I feel like I'm letting the system down.

The system has its flaws (don't get me started!) but all you can do is either play by the system's rules or not keep a handicap using that system.

Lots of people don't participate in the USGA system and just keep a handicap by some other method according to rules that they feel make more sense. But then of course you've got to get the people who organize the games you play in to let you use that handicap instead.

I suggest reading the USGA Handicap Manual. Scores for all forms of competition are to be posted. The manual describes how to post scores on holes not played or even when picked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the view on solo rounds. For me, if I'm playing by the rules I don't have an issue with posting without witness and carrying a fake handicap. I actually believe it to be a better reflection of my ability.

My bigger concern is that by posting scores or playing different game types (match play or skins games) or bouncing around and not playing a round of golf for reasons of enjoyment, I feel like I'm letting the system down.

There were years where 70% of my posted rounds were solo or with my 9 year old daugter. Funny how playing solo doesn't "count" but playing golf with a bunch of people who don't know the rules is ok by the USGA.

At least half of my rounds are solo and I post them. They are probably more true rounds than when I play with a group of people in money games a couple of times a week. There are gimmees given in those game while I putt out everything when playing solo.

I believe it is 13 holes that must be played to be able to post an official 18 hole score. If you skip a few holes, I read that you take your normal score on those holes and you can post the round.

There were years where 70% of my posted rounds were solo or with my 9 year old daugter. Funny how playing solo doesn't "count" but playing golf with a bunch of people who don't know the rules is ok by the USGA.

This is my point exactly. I play the majority of my rounds either on my own or I show up at a public course and get paired up with people that I don't know, and they are not going to pay attention to what I shot. I'm posting those rounds because I'm following the rules, and it only hurts me in the end if my cap is artificially low.

At least half of my rounds are solo and I post them. They are probably more true rounds than when I play with a group of people in money games a couple of times a week. There are gimmees given in those game while I putt out everything when playing solo.

I believe it is 13 holes that must be played to be able to post an official 18 hole score. If you skip a few holes, I read that you take your normal score on those holes and you can post the round.
I'm the same as you. At least half of my rounds I play solo and still post my score. I can't understand for the life of me what difference it makes whether or not I am playing alone or with a group. Every score I have ever posted when I have played with a group nobody has double-checked me. What difference does it make?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not "normal score" but rather par plus your handicap strokes (in any) on the holes not finished or not played according to Rules of Golf.

And yes, minimum of 13 holes must be completed and played under the Rules in order to post and 18-hole score.

Not "normal score" but rather par plus your handicap strokes (in any) on the holes not finished or not played according to Rules of Golf.

And yes, minimum of 13 holes must be completed and played under the Rules in order to post and 18-hole score.
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying that. Have never actually done it as it is harder to skip holes when you are walking. It is always either 18 or 9 for me.

But if you don't get to 13 and played at least 9, you can post it as a 9 hole round.

solo round rule is so dumb. i don’t abide by it. come at me bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But if you don't get to 13 and played at least 9, you can post it as a 9 hole round.

Yep.

And there's even some number (is it seven maybe?) of minimum holes for a 9-hole posted round. I think you can literally play 7 holes for real, take par plus handicap strokes for the other two and post for 9 holes. Although at that point we're getting down to a pretty small amount of real golf here!

I agree with you and I know it was put in to discourage sandbaggers. But, it makes no difference from what I've seen. Sandbaggers still find ways to pad their handicap.

I refuse to play in a specific member-guest because everyone in the club sandbags their handicap - it's a big joke there. So when I come in as a legit 9 or 10, I get my ass handed to me when I'm playing 16-24 handicaps.

I post everything, solo rounds and any round that I complete the 9 or the 18. The good, the bad, and the horrendous.

I don't have a USGA cap, just a GRINT cap. Really just record it for reference. Its not like I ever play competitive golf in which handicaps are actually used.

I've never really thought much about it but I think you nailed it with this one.

It's definitely the jaywalking of golf

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I play a lot of solo rounds and post almost all of them. The only ones I don't post are the ones that I'm testing a new club or ball and hit multiple shots. All other solo rounds I post are my true score. I play far too many solo rounds to not count them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Absolutely agreed here. Almost half my rounds are alone. I can’t not post all those scores

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the rules regarding solo rounds are stupid, but i still abide by them for better or for worse.

I'd actually prefer a system where only competitive rounds counted for handicap purposes (like in Europe), but that's for another thread.

I post scores through Grint and only to measure my own progress. Because I post solo rounds, I can't and won't play in anything necessitating handicap.

Because the USGA bars solo rounds is the very reason why I'm not interesting in maintaining a USGA recognized index. Not upset about it, just think it's stupid and therefore have zero urge to participate.

But in my 27 or so years of golf, I've only carried a "legit" handicap for 4 or 5 seasons. So, there's that.

In this thread, I see a lot of valid reasons why the recent USGA Rules change to not post solo rounds is stupid.

I just established a handicap this year to track my progress. But since I play alone most of the time it would be hard to post many scores if I don’t post solo rounds. Maybe next year I’ll just use the Grint and skip paying for the “official” handicap.

So what exactly is the proper way to post a score using the GHIN app?

Are we supposed to have our playing partner watch us post our score on the app?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Back