Interesting Club & Bag Setup Thought - Second Driver

Watched JB hit this yesterday and it was insane, I was to scared to try it (didn't ask... and didn't want to sky it) but worked exactly how he wanted... was hoping to see him hit it off the deck though to see how it faired, but to no avail

I think I might make a move to this setup.

This could be the perfect excuse for me to bag a GBB and a BB at the same time this year. Just need to decide which shaft I want to cut down for the shorter driver.

Really interesting idea. #fairwaysfordays

Army hasn't chimed in yet, but this was pretty ridiculous on Saturday. He hit that 16* R15 off the deck 4 times and smoked it damn near every time - including a few times out of some deeper rough. First time in my life I've ever seen anyone hit driver 18 times during a round :bulgy-eyes:

Yep that's me, blazing new trails of stupidity round by round lol.

But yeah, the short driver instead of a 3/4 wood was a monster success the first time out. I used it off the tee on two shorter par 4's and hit shots that put me in perfect position, and then I also used it off the deck and out of the rough a handful of times and didn't miss a shot with it. Easy and accurate are terms that come to mind. I even surprised myself when I rocketed one out of some thick cabbage.

This has stayed as my setup for a while now and I wanted to give an update.

So far this year
My fairways hit are up
My scores are down
My handicap is down

My tee game has never been stronger than it is right now in relation to the rest of the my game. For years it was my biggest con and now it is probably my biggest pro. The Great Big Bertha has given me incredible confidence and more distance than I have ever had in the past and now having a second driver when I need a higher ball flight, more control or to move it left or right, the XXIO Prime has done that.

Furthermore, I have not missed a beat with the Heavenward as my lone fairway wood. I carry it about 215 yards with the loft I am set at and frankly if I am further than that out, on the courses I play and need all carry, I should lay up regardless. I can get it all the way out to 225 or so if I go very aggressive, but I prefer not to.

So far so good and I will be sticking with it for a while.

I don't carry a 3 wood either, but am curious as to when you will pull driver 2 that you wouldn't have pulled 3 wood for...?

Thanks.

*Edit* I see above ^

With the addition of the new Callaway Great Big Bertha Heavenwood, I am finding less and less use for a 3 wood. In fact my last 2 rounds, I have not hit it a single time. I was able to go for a par 5 in 2 on two occasions and both times it was the heavenwood for the play.

So that leaves me with a spot open in the bag and I think I am going to add a second driver. As some might remember, I was not a big fan of the smaller "drivers" that came out over the last couple of years from a personal stand point, because I feel as though a full size head offers more benefits.

So I am going to take the plunge. Im going to take a higher lofted driver head, take a shortened shaft (3 wood length) and drop it in the bag. Maximum surface area, center of gravity playing back to offer higher ball flight, spin and forgiveness. The driver currently in my bag, I hit further, better and with less issues than any I have ever had, so this will be a unique spot when I feel the need for it.

For the club, I think I am going to go with a XXIO driver, most likely in 11.5 degrees and paired with it will be a Project X HandCrafted cut to 3 wood length.

That's pretty interesting JB. It's awesome that it's worked out for you. I'm of the same mind when it comes to distance from the green.

That's pretty interesting JB. It's awesome that it's worked out for you. I'm of the same mind when it comes to distance from the green.

Thanks. It really has been a great bunch of fun to test.

I've been thinking of doing something similar because my 3w does not get much use anymore. It's even starting to be an iffy club for me since I hardly ever use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. The Bertha Mini didn't give me such a clear advantage over my G30 3W that it justified keeping it in the bag (found I'm actually more accurate and almost as long with the G30). That said I could definitely see where a shortened driver could do some damage on tighter tee shots. Truth is I should probably play a driver shorter than 45.5" anyways.

I love that your hitting it so well JB. There is nothing like confidence when playing golf.

Glad it's working for you JB and you with a deadly tee game will be hard competition to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to do this with my G30 this weekend. Will have to use tape to get the SW right, but now that I've got a new driver (thank you THP!), I can tinker. Have an extra shaft, so it's a no brainer... Question now is how short? Thinking 43.5" ish.

I'm going to do this with my G30 this weekend. Will have to use tape to get the SW right, but now that I've got a new driver (thank you THP!), I can tinker. Have an extra shaft, so it's a no brainer... Question now is how short? Thinking 43.5" ish.

Thats what mine is.

Cool. Going to do it tonight so I can have it for my weekend round. Don't think it would replace my 3W full time, but could be useful for target courses. My weekly 9-hole league comes to mind. There's a few holes where a little more accuracy could give me a nudge in the right direction. Will provide feedback as I go!

So it has been about a year now with this experiment and it has worked really well for me. Most of the THPers I have played with (all of my rounds just about) remarked at how many more fairways I am hitting and that my overall game appears to be in better shape. I can play the distance driver or I can grab the higher launching, but shorter driver and due to it being a club head with more spin, I can play it left, right, high and low.

Going into 2017, looking at options, but the two driver setup appears to be here to stay for me.

I've gone part way in this direction. My Aeroburner Mini 16* plays to 43.5" as well, and it's really a great option when I can't afford the big miss or I need a few yards less off the tee. It's also kind of handy because the Mini has a tendency to draw with a standard swing while my Vapor Pro is pretty neutral and I have an easier time fading it. So if I need to hit a draw I reach for the Mini, and if I need to fade it I go Vapor.

Came to this experiment in the same way you did, JB - I just didn't hit 3W off the deck much, if at all, and generally a hybrid or 5W turns out better anyways, so why not give myself another option off the tee?

I've gone part way in this direction. My Aeroburner Mini 16* plays to 43.5" as well, and it's really a great option when I can't afford the big miss or I need a few yards less off the tee. It's also kind of handy because the Mini has a tendency to draw with a standard swing while my Vapor Pro is pretty neutral and I have an easier time fading it. So if I need to hit a draw I reach for the Mini, and if I need to fade it I go Vapor.

Came to this experiment in the same way you did, JB - I just didn't hit 3W off the deck much, if at all, and generally a hybrid or 5W turns out better anyways, so why not give myself another option off the tee?

My only issues with the mini drivers, and I have said it before is two fold. They are mostly lower spin heads and they are just not as forgiving as a full size driver. But that is a personal thing and others might find they do exactly what they want adequately. I have found with the heaven wood and the XXIO driver, I can hit either off the deck with little issue.

My only issues with the mini drivers, and I have said it before is two fold. They are mostly lower spin heads and they are just not as forgiving as a full size driver. But that is a personal thing and others might find they do exactly what they want adequately. I have found with the heaven wood and the XXIO driver, I can hit either off the deck with little issue.

I kind of viewed this as a smaller step first to see whether it worked out before going full on two drivers. I do know what you mean though. I can hit this one off the deck if needed, but unsure how I'd do with a full size driver head there. I've never tried hitting my driver off the deck lol

So it has been about a year now with this experiment and it has worked really well for me. Most of the THPers I have played with (all of my rounds just about) remarked at how many more fairways I am hitting and that my overall game appears to be in better shape. I can play the distance driver or I can grab the higher launching, but shorter driver and due to it being a club head with more spin, I can play it left, right, high and low.

Going into 2017, looking at options, but the two driver setup appears to be here to stay for me.

I've been doing this for a while too. GBB at 9 and XR at 12.5. I seen no reason to change it. I play the XR at 43.5 with a 3w shaft. The GBB is set up for the fade and XR is set up for the draw. I get 2 different distances and 2 different shot shapes out of my drivers which is nice. On my home course the XR normally gets 5 tee shots and the GBB gets 7.

Before #theking (the XR) I played my R9 supertri at 43.5". It's still is probably the most accurate driver I've ever played.

Seeing similar results to me. It's a fun setup to have when decision making comes up on the tee bix

I might give this a go. I had really good results playing a shaft that fits me in my wife's Cobra BiO cell head. I can only get it out there 240 or so with as high as it launches but I found the fairway more often.

Interesting, but not for me, I'd rather have another club elsewhere, but the results you guys are seeing is awesome!

Back