Dustin Johnson Splits With Coach Claude Harmon

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/de...S886EJcYsxmQnU_dtW65Wmd5wps9FX1MSGU5bMgZLzDNg

So apparently DJ is tired of finishing 2nd in Majors behind Koepka .... so, fire your coach ... by text message! Seriously?? You can't pick up the phone & call the guy or look him face to face? You start working with your old coach from college, Harmon sees it on TV, & tries to contact you about it. You refuse to pick up the phone to talk to the man? C'mon dude .... have some respect!

Its interesting for sure. Is it bad that I kind of expect that from DJ?

Wow thats pretty sh&&ty, at least have the balls to make a phone call. I mean does he think Claude was working harder with Brooks or something?

Via txt or in person, pretty sure the experience is the same considering DJ acts like he has the personality of a turnip.

I was thinking the same thing, so no

Yeah, DJ doesn’t strike me as a “stand up” kinda guy. He doesn’t strike me as being too bright either. He does have a lot of dough and a smokin hot fiancée, so there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of this story is the least bit surprising to this internet troll.

I'm reading it a little differently. Sounds to me like after DJ didn't call him back, CHIII was the one who initiated the split via text. This is the sentence: "Harmon, along with his father Butch, had been working with Johnson for about five years but informed him of the split via text on Saturday." That reads to me like "Harmon informed DJ" not "Harmon was informed by DJ."

Not saying that really changes anything though. If you've been working with the guy for 5 years and then he is publicly working with another teacher and won't take your calls, getting a break-up text might have actually been more professional.

I'm reading it a little differently. Sounds to me like after DJ didn't call him back, CHIII was the one who initiated the split via text. This is the sentence: "Harmon, along with his father Butch, had been working with Johnson for about five years but informed him of the split via text on Saturday." That reads to me like "Harmon informed DJ" not "Harmon was informed by DJ."

Not saying that really changes anything though. If you've been working with the guy for 5 years and then he is publicly working with another teacher and won't take your calls, getting a break-up text might have actually been more professional.

I read it that way as well. Could just be a poorly worded sentence. Avoid ambiguous antecedents people! lol

I assume there is more to the story and I will act as if that more to the story justifies everything else.

Good PR teams are good at PR.

Yeah, DJ doesn’t strike me as a “stand up” kinda guy. He doesn’t strike me as being too bright either. He does have a lot of dough and a smokin hot fiancée, so there’s that.

Butch said DJ “couldn’t spell ox if you gave him the x.” Harsh, but yeah apparently he’s not real smart. So what? They say you’ve got to be real smart or real dumb to make it on the tour... meaning you analyze and think your way around, or you just have good athleticism and instincts. DJ is in the second camp. But maybe he doesn’t like working with folks that publicly call him dumb...

he doesn't need a coach, he has a Trackman which he uses to dial in his wedges!

“Harmon, along with his father, Butch, had been working with Johnson for about five years but informed him of the split via text on Saturday.”

Very vague paragraph. Did Claude inform Butch via text, did DJ inform Claude or did Claude inform DJ?

Honestly, this doesn’t seem overly harsh to me. The unreturned phone calls is one side of the story. I’m sure DJ won’t pull a Haney and take to Twitter.

Butch said DJ “couldn’t spell ox if you gave him the x.” Harsh, but yeah apparently he’s not real smart. So what? They say you’ve got to be real smart or real dumb to make it on the tour... meaning you analyze and think your way around, or you just have good athleticism and instincts. DJ is in the second camp. But maybe he doesn’t like working with folks that publicly call him dumb...

I know too many "dumb" people who have multiple graduate degrees. There are different kinds of "smart". DJ's won more tournaments, and earned much more money, than the entire Harmon family. DJ is doing alright.

When I heard the GC talking heads going on about this Sunday or Monday, the impression I got was that Claude split with DJ when he couldn't get in touch with DJ about him working with Terrell at the PGA, when Claude had been doing the week-to-week work for 3 years. Then, team DJ dropped the press release that it was a mutual decision. This story seems to confirm that it was Claude who initiated the split when DJ wasn't in the midst of a tournament.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/du...east-makes-things-simplerfor-player-and-coach

I can understand that it was a conversation that DJ didn't want to have while playing the PGA. But, it is very petty not to pick up the phone after the PGA and have a talk with Claude, especially given the success DJ had had with Claude and Butch. There's no question that DJ is a different bird and self-unaware at times. This deal also kind of makes me think something may have happened to sour the relationship with Claude leading up to all of this. My guess is that, like mentioned above, DJ didn't want to be second fiddle to Koepka any more than he already was.

Hard to beleive that Claude would fire DJ. There has to have been a few things prior to this that led to this situation. All parties will be fine. The Harmon's have a stable of horses ready to go and DJ has Paulina. And a large bank account.

Butch Harmon is the primary teacher and he continues to help DJ, so I think Claude leaving "Team DJ" is a non event.

Back